Author Topic: Narrow-Angle and risk of Angle-Closure Glaucoma  (Read 5339 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Narrow-Angle and risk of Angle-Closure Glaucoma
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:35:08 pm »
Someone I know is being talked into going in for an operation on her eyes (Laser Iridotomy) as a preventative measure. She has been told by her optometrist and ophtalmologist that this surgery is almost incident free, takes only a short time and will protect her from the pain of sudden onset glaucoma and its irreversible damage. Meanwhile, she read that there is a small incidence of visual field problems or blurred vision.

Does anyone here know anything about it or have any suggestions. She was 100% raw for a couple of years and now is 50%.
Cheers
Al

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Narrow-Angle and risk of Angle-Closure Glaucoma
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:47:57 am »
Cannabis for glaucoma. Why mess with other things when we know this works?
-----------

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:56:09 am »
Google is your friend:  ;)
Tamara Beckett
I'm an optometrist in Savannah who follows a paleo diet myself! I'm interested in the idea of a paleo diet for preventing and/or treating common eye complaints such as dry eyes, to more severe problems such as diabetic retinopathy or even glaucoma. I love nutrition and am happy to share what knowledge I have with all my patients.
http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/doctors/GA/Savannah/tamara-beckett
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:00:24 am »
Thanks Phil, although she is a few thousand miles away.
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:07:02 am »
I figured that, but she says that she's happy to share her knowledge, so it couldn't hurt to inquire with her and she if she has any suggestions.

I would also never get an operation done on my eyes without getting at least a 2nd opinion first, especially a "preventative" operation for a condition that apparently hasn't yet occurred.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:53 am »
I figured that, but she says that she's happy to share her knowledge, so it couldn't hurt to inquire with her and she if she has any suggestions.
Oh nice Phil! Thanks for the hot tip. I never would have guessed there was a Paleo-Doc out there. Appreciate it!
Cheers
Al

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 02:27:45 am »
cannabis cures glaucoma everyone! I dont know why you guys are still discussing this.
-----------

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 02:29:12 am »
cannabis cures glaucoma everyone! I dont know why you guys are still discussing this.
Which kind of Glaucoma?
Cheers
Al

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 05:52:53 am »
all kinds
-----------

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:39:24 am »
I don't think it "cures" glaucoma. I think it just alleviates it. You don't smoke pot and your glaucoma goes away. Unless you can provide evidence otherwise.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:47:08 am »
I don't think it "cures" glaucoma. I think it just alleviates it. You don't smoke pot and your glaucoma goes away. Unless you can provide evidence otherwise.
I think what he means is that you don't notice it as much... : )

Marijuana and it's derivatives were a major part of the kitbag of Doctors, going back 100 years or so. As was alcohol, cocaine, and heroin. Apparently cocaine was a favourite of Freud.
Cheers
Al

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 05:19:21 am »
when you smoke it once it instantly alleviates your glaucoma for a certain amount of time. After smoking for a long time though and quitting peoples glaucoma doesnt come back, just look into it yourself. I eprsonally have no problem with smoking weed every day for the rest of my life even though theres nothing wrong with me.
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk