Author Topic: Raw Eggs and Poultry Meat  (Read 2554 times)

Offline rawzen

• Forager
    • View Profile
Raw Eggs and Poultry Meat
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:25:35 am »
I've been learning about Primal a few weeks now.  I did raw vegan years ago then vegetarian with no eggs, then with, then all this with cooked sea food and quality chicken.  Now Primal.

I stopped grains about 2 months ago but I'm concerned about grains fed to chickens that i either eat eggs from or wish to eat.  Are grains fed to ducks, chickens, ostrich, a problem?  How about to cows, goats, bison, etc? 

Some people say chickens needs a little grain to produce eggs.  Corn, wheat, barley, oats soaked in skim milk at times is whats fed to chickens I'm looking to consume.  I hear Goats are another animal that might need grains also.

The bad would be soy, and of course non organic feed for me.  Also Gmo stuff.  Is this grain thing alright as long as the animal is Pasteur raised?

I just want to thank everyone here for all their input.  I've read a lot of things that have saved me time and money.  You've all helped me cut to the chase. 

Thank you.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Eggs and Poultry Meat
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:27:34 am »
This has been extensively discussed elsewhere on this forum, but my quick answer is No. Chickens are not designed to eat grains except those incidental to their forage. Mostly, chickens eat worms, bugs, grubs. A great description of healthy poultry practice is in the book The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. He also gives a straightforward explanation of the reasons we feed corn to every kind of livestock - it is solely for the convenience of the industrial agricultural complex.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk