Author Topic: Excercise frequency  (Read 23433 times)

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Excercise frequency
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 11:28:11 pm »
Maybe a more extreme example would help illustrate my reasoning. What do you think would be more effective in cold training:
 1. Training once a week at I don't know, let's say -50C, and then spending the rest of the time recovering from frostbite and similar issues, or
 2. Training every day in the week at -30C at which (hypothetically) one day is perfectly enough to recover and be ready to train again the next day.

Bad analogy. Cold training is not about building muscle, it's about building the body's capacity to thermoregulate. Completely different issues.

Doesn't quite fit with scientific findings. Just a few days ago I read something rather different
http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/ancient-humans-and-neanderthals-were-extreme-travellers-113031000220_1.html
It certainly wasn't brief periods of activity once a week.

An interesting study, but I'm always skeptical of scientists who make extreme claims from comparatively weak and ambiguous evidence. I'm not inclined to read much into this. You're welcome to if you'd like to, of course.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:29:28 am by Eric »

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 12:28:18 am »
Maybe people here are talking about different things, or have different ideas of what strength is.

I do not believe that paleo man was bench pressing 300+ lbs haha.
I do not believe that being able to carry 100lbs on your shoulder for a few miles is STRONG. Its stronger than your average person, you're going to be tired at the end of the day, but to say that you're one strong mo-fo.. I think we just have different ideas here.

You can get good results from infrequest HIIT training, but to say that its the most effective way to build massive strength is a bit of a stretch.
That's not paleo.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 02:34:51 am »
Maybe people here are talking about different things, or have different ideas of what strength is.

I agree. I don't think someone needs to perform extreme feats of strength to be considered strong.

And, for what it's worth, if you don't think carrying a 100+ pound log over your shoulders for a few miles would qualify someone as strong, I invite you to try it.

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 04:58:49 am »
Bad analogy. Cold training is not about building muscle, it's about building the body's capacity to thermoregulate. Completely different issues.
I believe it's a generic enough principle that can be equally applied in many aspects of life. Why is it a bad analogy? Both are done with the goal to improve something.

An interesting study, but I'm always skeptical of scientists who make extreme claims from comparatively weak and ambiguous evidence. I'm not inclined to read much into this. You're welcome to if you'd like to, of course.
Don't tell me that the evidence for your claim is any stronger. The point is we can't consider such arguments as seriously supporting any claim.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk