Author Topic: Satya's Salsa!  (Read 12407 times)

Satya

Satya's Salsa!
« on: May 24, 2008, 09:09:55 pm »
For those who like it hot, now is a great time (in the Northern Hemisphere) to gather up some fresh, local produce and make some salsa.  Tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers and cilantro are all available now (cilantro is a weed in my neck of the woods).

These instructions are a bit old, and there is no need to add an innoculant.  The salt amount is about right for a gallon, but don't make that much unless you will consume it within a few weeks.  If your climate is hot then leave it out only a day.  And then watch it disappear in a week cuz it's so good.  Eat it on ceviche, Latin carpaccio, guacamole, whatever. 

On a sad note, Diablo kitty got eaten by one of the various nocturnal predators here in Texas some time back.  He sure was a kick to have around, and I am happy he was photographed during the salsa-making frenzy. 

http://www.traditionaltx.us/salsa.html

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Satya's Salsa!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 02:38:24 am »
Looks great! Sorry to hear about the cat, if my cat was killed by something I would probably hunt it down and exact a revenge killing.

Satya

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:35:13 am »
Thank you Kyle.  I live on a couple acres in  this town that should be named Wild Kingdom, TX.  When we moved in, the house came with a mama cat and 4 kittens.  These were somewhat wild cats and it took weeks to get them in the house, etc.  We lost all but 1 of them over the last 6 years to dogs, coyotes and - get this - barn owls!  Yes, barn owls are grown bigger and better in TX, and they can and do nab 15 lb tom cats!  We have also adopted many stray cats over our time here, and some of those have been taken.  Neighbors lose them too.  We learned about 3 years ago to really be sure to keep them inside at night.  We also once had a rat snake up in our birdhouse full of bluebirds - so much for all the chicks.  We now have 3 cats, a dog, some fish and some hens.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:49:44 am by Satya »

Satya

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:46:38 am »
Beef jerky chips with guacamole and salsa is so good.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:30:15 am »
Thank you Kyle.  I live on a couple acres in  this town that should be named Wild Kingdom, TX.  When we moved in, the house came with a mama cat and 4 kittens.  These were somewhat wild cats and it took weeks to get them in the house, etc.  We lost all but 1 of them over the last 6 years to dogs, coyotes and - get this - barn owls!  Yes, barn owls are grown bigger and better in TX, and they can and do nab 15 lb tom cats!  We have also adopted many stray cats over our time here, and some of those have been taken.  Neighbors lose them too.  We learned about 3 years ago to really be sure to keep them inside at night.  We also once had a rat snake up in our birdhouse full of bluebirds - so much for all the chicks.  We now have 3 cats, a dog, some fish and some hens.

I hope you leave the wildlife alone. I mean, they're just carrying out their natural function.(Sorry to get het up about this, it's just that I used to live with farmers' sons who would refer to various wildlife as vermin and "pests".
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:39:09 am »
I hope you leave the wildlife alone. I mean, they're just carrying out their natural function.(Sorry to get het up about this, it's just that I used to live with farmers' sons who would refer to various wildlife as vermin and "pests".

No, we don't hurt anything.  We got the snake out of the birdhouse very humanely with a noose type contraption, mainly to be sure it was not venomous, as it was in close proximity to our house and all we saw were eyes.  In that case, we would have moved it 200 ft away to the field.  If an apparently rabid possum or raccoon was threatening one of us humans, I would probably at least scare it away or possible shoot it with my compound bow.  But it would have to be a real threat.  Most of these wild animals are active at night, so I don't even see them.  I did accidently hit a squirrel with my car a week ago.  Bad feeling that, but he came out right in front of where I was.

Satya

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:59:57 am »
Farmers need to keep their livestock safe by protecting them, not killing hawks, foxes and the like.  We put our chickens in their coop at night and let them out each morning.  No snake, possum or rat has ever gotten in their coop. 

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 05:57:39 am »
Beef jerky chips with guacamole and salsa is so good.

How do you make beef jerky chips?

Satya

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 06:32:59 am »
How do you make beef jerky chips?

You make beef jerky and pretend the strips are tortilla chips, cutting them into smaller pieces if necessary.  ;)

Lex has great instructions on making jerky.  I use a dehydrator I had from back in my raw vegan days, but it is otherwise exactly the way he makes it.

http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/recipes/

Tortilla chips were a real tough food for me to give up, cuz you need something substantial for salsa.  I can use romaine leaves if I have guacamole too, but the beef jerky can handle the heat of the salsa better.  With beef jerky, I don't even miss the corn-based chips.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:38:53 am by Craig »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 08:44:24 am »
Thanks.

Do you think you could use jerky to make a taco shell that you could fill with salsa, guacamole and perhaps sour cream?

xylothrill

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 10:31:05 am »
Thanks.

Do you think you could use jerky to make a taco shell that you could fill with salsa, guacamole and perhaps sour cream?

...and raw ground beef. A raw taco salad or burrito! Sounds good!

Satya

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 08:40:41 pm »
It does sound good, only that beef jerky is kind of tough, not as crisp as a conventional taco shell.  I'd say stick with the jerky for chips, and use a big lettuce leaf for tacos.  Just add some raw meat, or even thinly sliced jerky filling, for a more fajita-like wrap.

Later today I will make a raw version of my "Heart Attack Chili."  That's chili with coarsely ground beef heart. :)  Another good choice for the salsa.  Stay tuned for that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk