Author Topic: 4200 ewes, 800 rams and their lambs on just 200 acres  (Read 17091 times)

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: 4200 ewes, 800 rams and their lambs on just 200 acres
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 12:17:55 am »
So which animals in your opinion are the easiest to raise?

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 12:31:59 am »
Cows because they are easiest to fence. Though starting out with beef cow herd would take quite an investment and a long turn around of 2-4 years. However you could buy a few milk cows and buy baby dairy bulls and raise quite a few beefers for cheap. On the other hand beef cow mamas are about the hardiest domestic stock because of their huge rumens and fat reserves they can live off of very coarse forage through harsh conditions, especially certain breeds. You can also buy weaned beef bulls and steers and raise them and sell them very profitably. Cows are the least labor.

Pigs because they are the best at rapidly improving neglected land although they need lots of brought in feed so to have a large pig operation you need to be located somewhere where you  can take advantage of a large nutrition stream. They need protein too which if you can't produce is costly. Natural pork is in the highest demand and pork production can be very profitable. It also can be the lowest startup, except not when you factor in the feed you will most likely have to buy. Depends on location and the environment.

Goats and sheep because they are the cheapest to raise and quickly reproduce allowing quick turn arounds on investment and ability to build up numbers quickly. However they are very at risk for parasite infestation and most farmers use poisonous anthelmintic wormers that aren't even very effective.

But pretty much cows or pigs is the answer. Unless you live in dry lands areas though then goats and sheep.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:08:54 am by TylerDurden »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 01:00:25 am »
How about problems with cow / livestock thieves?  How much to spend on guarding of your livestock? 
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 01:42:05 am »
Well there are livestock guardian dog breeds that will take on a grizzly bear or a human. Of course some humans may be willing to use deadly force. I guess these days it might become needed for farmers to utilize lethal force.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 01:48:48 am »
good info, thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk