Author Topic: Raw Cheese: Types, Brands, Sources, Reviews  (Read 26094 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Cheese: Types, Brands, Sources, Reviews
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2013, 03:12:36 pm »
raw vs. cooked

big difference
-----------

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2013, 11:26:59 pm »
raw vs. cooked

big difference

Link? Study? Or your own anecdotal experience? ANYTHING to support your stance?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2013, 12:21:37 am »
application of heat is probably the most physically altering process any object can undergo.

If you disagree perhaps you should join a different forum and stop going through all the trouble of getting getting so much raw food.
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2013, 01:27:21 am »
Dude, calm it down.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2013, 02:18:57 am »
I'm really not trying to argue (and really don't want to revert to senseless name calling or anything else). But the research I've seen showing raw vs. cooked has mainly demonstrated that amino acids (protein), fatty acids (fat), cholesterol, enzymes and carbohydrates are changed by cooking.

I've actually never seen anything showing that calcium, iodine, magnesium, etc. are changed by heat. That's why I ask if you have any actual evidence to support that.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2013, 03:19:26 am »
I'm really not trying to argue (and really don't want to revert to senseless name calling or anything else). But the research I've seen showing raw vs. cooked has mainly demonstrated that amino acids (protein), fatty acids (fat), cholesterol, enzymes and carbohydrates are changed by cooking.

I've actually never seen anything showing that calcium, iodine, magnesium, etc. are changed by heat. That's why I ask if you have any actual evidence to support that.

I've not seen any evidence that shows that the minerals are significantly changed by the temperatures used in cooking. I'm not saying that they're not, but I've seen no real evidence. 

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2013, 08:27:09 am »
The form of the mineral may very well change; what it is bound to. Calcium bicarbonate is prevalent in our water. I have no clue if this form is bioavailable but it is so prominent that our pH is usually about 7.8-8.1, very alkaline. It is very heavy when it dries out and leaves a white film on the soil. We have to run sulfuric acid through our lines to drop the pH to a "life sustaining" level for our trees. We don't drink the sulfuric water. Calcium bicarbonate is a calcium atom bound to two carbons, and the two carbons make it a very dense molecule. I would imagine it would take a lot of heat to break them down, or even if boiling our water would affect the pH. That would be an interesting experiment, though sadly I don't have the resources (and only some of the knowledge) to correctly complete an experiment to see if it was the calcium bicarbonate breaking down or something else.

From an interesting little page I found searching for heat related stuff; http://water.me.vccs.edu/courses/ENV115/lesson9.htm

In addition to having different removal methods, carbonate and noncarbonate hardness can cause different problems.  Carbonate hardness is the most common and is responsible for the deposition of calcium carbonate scale in pipes and equipment.  The equation below shows how this deposition is formed in the presence of heat:

Calcium bicarbonate ? Calcium carbonate + Water + Carbon dioxide

Ca(HCO3)2 ? CaCO3 + H2O + CO2

Heat does seem to break down the bicarbonate into carbonate. Is one more bioavailable than the other?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_carbonate

Eggshells, snail shells and most seashells are predominantly calcium carbonate and can be used as industrial sources of that chemical. [6] Oyster shells have enjoyed recent recognition as a source of dietary calcium, but are also a practical industrial source.[7][8] While not practical as an industrial source, dark green vegetables such as Broccoli and Kale contain dietarily significant amounts of calcium carbonate.[9]

Calcium bicarbonate is many times more soluble in water than calcium carbonate—indeed it exists only in solution.

Calcium carbonate will react with water that is saturated with carbon dioxide to form the soluble calcium bicarbonate.
CaCO3 + CO2 + H2O ? Ca(HCO3)2
This reaction is important in the erosion of carbonate rocks, forming caverns, and leads to hard water in many regions.

So bicarbonate is the form in solution, carbonate is outside of solution, as a solid mineral rock or precipitate of water.

Tough to say for certain the effect of heat on minerals but for this one, heat seems somewhat irrelevant to overall effect desired from the mineral, that is getting calcium.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk