Author Topic: Dental health  (Read 14872 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Dental health
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:03:26 pm »
Hey everyone. I'm looking into dental health raw paleo style. Since going fully raw, using a quality calcium supplement, and using fluoride free tooth paste. I'm noticing white spots on my otherwise yellow teeth. Also, a spot where my gum had receded it turned black on my tooth, and it's getting less black.

I read this article - http://arealfoodlover.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/how-i-remineralized-my-tooth-cavity-without-dentistry/

Which claims you can re mineralize your teeth. Im curious what your experiences have been with cavities, yellow teeth, crooked teeth, receding gums, etc.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Dental health
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:05:52 pm »
I stopped brushing my teeth almost two years ago, and have watched my previously receding gums regenerate. I've decided that my receding gums were probably caused by poor tooth brushing habits, or by brushing more generally. I no longer assume that brushing teeth is inherently useful, or even potentially so.

I also have a dental carie (spot on tooth near gum line that turned dark) that has improved. I attribute its healing to a more nutrient-dense diet heavy on the raw animal foods that's higher in Vitamins A, D and K. I also used to have very sensitive teeth, and that's generally not the case anymore unless I buckle and have a rootbeer or ice cream while with friends, which does happen occasionally.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 11:33:03 pm »
This has been helpful to me:
http://www.curetoothdecay.com/

He's not a rawist, but you can do a raw version of his tips. You can even do raw bone broth, which was discussed before in this forum.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:56:12 pm »
Everything you need to know about dental health is in the works of Hal Huggins, download his mp3 s at:
http://oneradionetwork.com/health/dr-hal-huggins-dds-the-best-information-on-dental-health-and-the-connection-with-disease-august-22-2011/

http://www.hugginsappliedhealing.com/

and in the book "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by West A. Price DDS.

Offline Wai Kai Zen

• Buffalo Hunter
  • Raw Knowledge and Experience
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:13:50 am »
Since Ive stopped eating grains, vegetables and nuts my enamel became thick and very white without brushing.
My teeth are sensitive (probably because it isnt coated with toothpaste) and I notice also dairy hurt my teeth, just like oils did.
Funny thing is, when eating nuts my enamel became very thin and this was scary, but without changing my brushing regimen or going to a dentist, my teeth are amazing! Even though I drink sugars I notice it doesnt matter that much.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:34:11 am by TylerDurden »
Reminder to myself:
Search for truth, not dogma.

William

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 01:44:27 am »
Dr. Hal Huggins has something relevant to say about both ancestral diet and dental health here:
http://oneradionetwork.com/dental-healing/dr-hal-huggins-ancestral-diet-sea-salt-goodness-and-ph-alkalinity-takes-a-hit-04-13-09/

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 01:07:16 pm »
Recommend the book "cure Tooth decay" by Rami Nagel. It has a lot of suggestions regarding diet and how the specific nutrients in specific food promote tooth remineralization and reversal of caries. Tried his advice myself (to a certain extent) and have to say that it appears quite effective. YOu might find the book at the library.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 06:54:10 am »
Yeah, and the website I cited above, http://www.curetoothdecay.com, is Ramiel Nagel's website. Plus, the article at http://arealfoodlover.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/how-i-remineralized-my-tooth-cavity-without-dentistry/ that DaBoss88 cited also recommends Nagel's book.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 02:02:26 pm »
I noticed that these guys recommend not just the removal of amalgam fillings, but also the replacement of them with another, less toxic, substance. I guess it is too much to ask for a tooth to heal after having had a filling placed and then removed, but not replaced with something else?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 12:05:33 am »
It's crazy. Since starting raw-scd, white spots have been popping up on my teeth. Theresa one really noticeable one on my front tooth. And it's expanding.

The spot where I visibly see a cavity hasn't gone away though. Although on sad, when id eat something sugary, say a pop tart. The tooth with the cavity would really hurt. Now it never hurts, not even when I eat fruit.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 03:18:23 am »
One interesting observation is that since bone is vascular (has a blood supply), it is capable of healing itself and remineralizing. That's why, when bodybuilders workout with heavy weights, not only do their muscles get stronger, but their bones do too. That's why it's recommended that senior citizens do weight bearing exercise to keep both their muscles and bones strong. Since teeth are bone, they are affected by the same physical "stresses". So, chewing on something tough and fibrous (like red meat) or hard vegetation like carrots or apples will stimulate the teeth to get stronger as the blood will carry calcium and other minerals into the teeth and onto the areas of the teeth where the stress is being placed. This is really effective, and along with other protocols such as dental hygiene without using enamel destroying substances like certain toothpastes, along with diet and getting the proper nutrients and minimizing sticky sugary foods and blood sugar spikes has in my experience made a satisfying difference.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 02:57:54 am »
I got receding gums when I was on 80/10/10. It went away when I went back to paleo.

I rarely brush my teeth and I've noticed that raw fat, especially suet(which is drier/harder) really improved my mouth/teeth health.

You shouldn't need to take calcium supplements on this diet. When I was on a regular diet with milk or calcium supplements my calcium levels were identical to the current levels when I am eating ~2 meals of fruit(sometimes with fat), 1-2 meals of meat, 1 meal of vegetables(often leafy greens).

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 05:23:54 pm »
DaBoss, Aren't white spots considered an early sign of a cavity?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 05:48:00 pm »
DaBoss, Aren't white spots considered an early sign of a cavity?

Potentially, I've also seen fluoride toxicity as a possible culprit.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 05:49:47 pm »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 07:07:48 pm »
Potentially, I've also seen fluoride toxicity as a possible culprit.
Why, are you using lots of fluoride?

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 08:44:20 pm »
Why, are you using lots of fluoride?
I think he was just trying to say that he read that too much fluoride causes white spots on teeth; which is true, it's one of the reasons fluoride levels were lowered recently. They were seeing increased white spots on children's teeth.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 08:46:20 pm »
I think he was just trying to say that he read that too much fluoride causes white spots on teeth; which is true, it's one of the reasons fluoride levels were lowered recently. They were seeing increased white spots on children's teeth.

Correct.

Maximilian how are you now? Last I remember you were having some problems.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 09:00:32 pm »
I'm doing ok. I'm on permanent disability for a myriad of issues that seem to stem from inflammation and cause chronic fatigue.

Raw paleo seemed to be doing good for me for a while. I'm 6'8" and 170lbs. I gained 25+ lbs and then started getting diarrhea from a wide variety of raw animal foods. I lost all the weight and saw two tapeworms (1 small, 1 full grown) in my BM. Stool tests came back negative for any parasites but I was still getting diarrhea and losing weight. I've stabilized now on cooked paleo but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for some major medical breakthrough to get my health/life back.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 05:50:46 am »
you might think about doing a course of humaworm antiparisite herbs.   I question the accuracy of tests.   Couldn't hurt.  I will shortly be doing it, when they arrive. 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 06:45:55 am »
Yes, thanks, that's what I also figured and I was aware of those reports and also that they involved excessive intakes of fluoride, which was partly attributed to increased sources of fluoride and increased swallowing of toothpaste (due to candy flavors), IIRC.

DaBoss, that's why I'm asking if you're using/ingesting a lot of fluoride. If not, then your report that the white spots are currently expanding is less likely due to excessive fluoride than other possible causes, such as accumulated plaque, dental decay or mineral loss. If that turns out to be the case, Ramiel Nagel's info might help.

Hope that clarifies my question and maybe helps.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:52:55 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 07:42:05 am »
I would suggest humaworm as well. 

get some probiotics as well, take a bit during and after humaworms, garden of life brand "primal defense" is a good one

then add things like raw yogurt and aged meats if you have access.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 08:23:33 am »
DaBoss, that's why I'm asking if you're using/ingesting a lot of fluoride. If not, then your report that the white spots are currently expanding is less likely due to excessive fluoride than other possible causes, such as accumulated plaque, dental decay or mineral loss. If that turns out to be the case, Ramiel Nagel's info might help.

I'm not sure what it is, though they're not expanding like I once thought. They're most noticeable after waking up, and disappear after I start eating. I don't think it's plaque since even if I scratch at it it doesn't come off. I'm not sure what it is, but from my understanding (based on what I've read from Ramiel and other places) remineralization occurs when the right conditions are present. For example lots of minerals, low phytates, etc. I feel like I meet all that criteria, at least now after adding in the magnesium and Vitamin K2. So I think I just need to continue on my current regiment and see how it goes.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 08:57:03 am »
ok, good luck with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk