Author Topic: Middle of night cravings -- help please  (Read 5416 times)

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
Middle of night cravings -- help please
« on: April 05, 2013, 11:25:10 pm »
Hello everybody,

Been focused and selective about eating for a couple years now, but the last 6 months or so, have developed this bad habit of waking up in the middle of the night, in a half sleep-stupor state, and eating a couple of handfuls of nuts like almonds, cashews, whatever is available. Sometimes even eat granola bars, lots of em, and fruit, like a big bowl of dates.

personally, don't think this is caloric or nutritionally related, even though the foods have been munching on are very high calorie and sometimes starchy.

Anybody have any advice or suggestions? Typically, if determined, can withhold reaching out for food for a short period of time, maybe a few days or a week, but then the habit creeps back up. Please help!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Middle of night cravings -- help please
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 12:00:05 am »
Eat more fat during the day, especially around lunchtime.   What are your carb/fat percentages now, roughly?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 12:21:54 am »
I do the same thing lol. Only I've never eaten bad foods. I usually eat some berries and go back to sleep.

50% calories from fat
33% protein
11% carbs

Not 100% accurate and it fluctuates. Some times more fruits, veggies, or nuts. some times more eggs and marrow bones.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:50:35 am »
I agree with CK,  fat is key, in fact being to use fat as fuel is key.  Otherwise you're waking up most likely because your blood sugar has dropped ( could be mental anxieties) and your body is digesting muscle for fuel, and obviously brain fuel as well.  The last thing you want to eat at night is sugar, will just spike your blood sugar and add injury to your condition.  If eating enough fat for 'lunch' dinner doesn't hold you over till the morning,,  try an egg yolk or two, or a table spoon of truly raw coconut oil. Both easily digestible.  But again, if you're waking up with low blood sugar, you're probably experiencing low and high blood sugar spikes during the day also, which you might want to look at.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:19:11 am »
is hunger what wakes you in the first place?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:26:37 am »
It could be the fat. Although I feel like I eat a lot of fat. 1.5 oz per meal, 3 meals. I snack on eggs, marrow bones, some times nuts. I noticed if I go to low carb I feel horrible. I need about 30 grams of carbs, 3 x a day to not feel really bad. Also spacing out my meals to far apart gets me feeling bad too.

I don't know why I wake up. I'm half asleep when I do. And feel like I have little control over what I eat. When I was eating sad, I once woke up with a half eaten sandwich in my hand, and part of it still in my mouth. Lol I woke up wondering how I didn't choke, I guess I was breathing put of my nose.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:39:27 am »
i think i'd be concerned for the reason of my disturbed sleep first. if it's hunger waking you, then i agree with the others about more fat, or maybe just more food during waking hours.

and then after eating in the middle of the night, you are able to just go right back to sleep? that baffles me, i'm very awake once i eat, but i know some people do great sleeping on a full tummy :)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 09:45:22 am »
I sleep fine on a full stomach. I think it might be that I'm on a slightly reduced calorie diet to lose weight faster. I'm sposed to eat about 2400 calories a day, but I've ben eating less than that. Maybe 2200 calories  sometimes 1900, 2000.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 06:15:42 pm »
I agree with CK,  fat is key, in fact being to use fat as fuel is key.  Otherwise you're waking up most likely because your blood sugar has dropped ( could be mental anxieties) and your body is digesting muscle for fuel, and obviously brain fuel as well.  The last thing you want to eat at night is sugar, will just spike your blood sugar and add injury to your condition.  If eating enough fat for 'lunch' dinner doesn't hold you over till the morning,,  try an egg yolk or two, or a table spoon of truly raw coconut oil. Both easily digestible.  But again, if you're waking up with low blood sugar, you're probably experiencing low and high blood sugar spikes during the day also, which you might want to look at.

Great advice, Van.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 12:58:13 pm »
Hey everybody,

That's all very interesting points. No idea what carb/fat ratio is, but eat about 6-8 servings of fruit a day and usually low in the fat department....maybe an egg or a handful of nuts(besides these nighttime nightmarish binges, which, also happen in a half-sleep state) per day. Usually wake up half unconscious, and either have to use the restroom, or wake up and head straight for the kitchen,  standing there for a few minutes, just staring at different items of food. Part of the brain involved in self-control and observing ego must be asleep because, after waking up, though I remmeber what happened, it's difficult to say that it was 'me'. I think it's a blood sugar issue too. Blood sugar levels are usually way less stable when eating lots of fruits, which I'm pretty fond of

An issue I have with fat is that I'm concerned about atherosclerosis. Clogging up the arteries and early heart problems are something I'm trying to prevent. Don't really know whether fat in the diet increases it or not but that's what it says in a lot of health articles online.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:36:17 pm »
Hey everybody,

That's all very interesting points. No idea what carb/fat ratio is, but eat about 6-8 servings of fruit a day and usually low in the fat department....maybe an egg or a handful of nuts(besides these nighttime nightmarish binges, which, also happen in a half-sleep state) per day. Usually wake up half unconscious, and either have to use the restroom, or wake up and head straight for the kitchen,  standing there for a few minutes, just staring at different items of food. Part of the brain involved in self-control and observing ego must be asleep because, after waking up, though I remmeber what happened, it's difficult to say that it was 'me'. I think it's a blood sugar issue too. Blood sugar levels are usually way less stable when eating lots of fruits, which I'm pretty fond of

An issue I have with fat is that I'm concerned about atherosclerosis. Clogging up the arteries and early heart problems are something I'm trying to prevent. Don't really know whether fat in the diet increases it or not but that's what it says in a lot of health articles online.

eat NO fruit, for a few weeks AT LEAST.  up your fat intake, A LOT, up your protein intake. 

wake up and eat a large breakfast including lots of fat and protein, no carbs.  eat two modest meals for lunch and dinner, do not include fruit, do not include starchy veggies, have a green salad with celery, cucumber and maybe avocado with full fat dressing and some protein.   

make sure the meat you are eating isn't totally lean, add some egg extra fat, bone marrow or yolks to your meal if so. 

drink broth, add kelp, seaweed, dulse or seasalt to meals during the day to be sure you are getting plenty of organic minerals. 

drink plenty of water throughout the day, avoid caffeine, if you do have a drink, half what you usually drink and add some heavy cream to it to blunt the caffeine's affect.   

before bed brew a thick lemonbalm tea, this will help get you into deeper cycles of sleep, also may induce dreams, which are amazing, cherish them!  2-3tbsp dried lemonbalm leaf to 1 quart water, boil water, remove from heat, pour over herbs, cover and let infuse for 10-15 minutes. 

consider adding a magnesium supplement before bed.  mag glycinate is a well absorbed form.

if you don't get enough sunshine, consider adding a vitamin D supplement.

consider eating more offal if you don't already.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:49:19 pm »
Raw animal fats shouldn't contribute to heart disease. Eating more animal fats will curb cravings. When you don't get enough fat, your body will seek it from unhealthy foods. So you may eat junk did to get the fat your raw diet isn't providing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk