Author Topic: Beauty Recipes  (Read 19186 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Beauty Recipes
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 02:23:50 am »
 ;D I don't shave part or all of my scalp myself, the thin area just happened via a receding hairline. I have been tempted in the past to do that, though, but I figured my pale head would be too blinding for people.  ;D
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 02:09:32 am »
ah, thanks van! i tried the clay on my hair, but it feels like it won't come out. it's not soft, it's gritty, but it looks as it normally does. i'll try rinsing with distilled water!
I've seen people say that some low quality gritty/sandy red clay, but not the red clay powder. Do you have the powder type?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 12:30:12 am »
so i made eyeliner by mixing activated charcoal with sweet almond oil (it's what i have atm). it works! tho i'm an idiot with makeup lol so it's hard enough for me to apply makeup, let alone a 'liquid' eyeliner. so my first eye looks like a 5 year old did it and my second eye came out much much better! i'm going to use this from now on :D

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 01:10:56 am »
Cool!

My hair seems to need fewer washings the longer I use my mix of fine red clay powder and aloe vera gel.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 02:02:54 am »
where do you get this fine red clay powder?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 02:18:33 am »
I get it at Vitamin Shoppe. It's Now Foods Red (Moroccan) Clay Powder. It even tastes pretty good to me (rather bland, but not at all offensive) and was not even gritty in my mouth! I'm going to try a bulk red clay powder at Amazon to see if I can save money. The 3 reviews are good, but I won't know if it really is as good until I try it.

Interestingly, the French green clay I had in my cupboard tasted much worse to me--it had a metallic aftertaste--and didn't work well at all on my hair. I never knew there was so much difference between clays until our wonderful Inger clued me in.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:23:48 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 03:55:57 am »
I ordered Moroccan Lava Clay powder off amazon about 3 months ago. It was super cheap and Ive used it about once a week and barely made a dent in the amount I have left. It has, however, made a dent in me healing my skin. My acne scars are almost completely gone now. I never wash my face anymore and just use a clay mask once a week and my skin has never looked better.

Also I just started, about two weeks ago, applying Emu Oil to my face and at first it made it look greasy although now it has transformed my skin into someone else's entirely. It is soo smooth and shiny all the time now and I still only apply it once a week. (After the clay mask)

Has anyone ever uses Emu Oil? I looked it up and they actually extract it from the back fat of the animal. Man I would love to eat some emu back fat Mmmm sounds delicious ;D

I would eat some of mine although I am sure its heated an probably comes from a grain fed animal. It is doing wonders for my skin though. I got it a few weeks back at our local health food store for a burn. Then after researching it I started putting it on my face after washing. http://www.emufacts.com/Research/research1.shtm

It has transdermal effects which means it carries what ever is mixed with it, or already on the skin, inside the skin. So one should only apply to a clean area.

Gnawing on bones.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 03:59:12 am »
i've seen emu oil at the farmers market. there's a booth, a guy sells it with all kinds of testimonials for skin healing applications. i've never tried it though. what kind do you use?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2013, 04:40:18 am »
Thanks for the tip, paper_clips. I don't eat clay regularly. I just happened to have 3 clays and got curious about whether there was any difference in taste and, interestingly enough, the best-tasting clay was also the most effective on my hair. I don't think that's just coincidence, but it's a guess.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2013, 07:13:25 am »
and which clay was that paleophil?

Yah I have also seen them set up booths at farmers markets. I use "Emulate" 100% Natural Emu Oil. It also says Pharmaceutical Grade. They have a bunch of different products although I went with the pure Emu Oil.
Gnawing on bones.

Offline Sam page

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 06:09:08 pm »
I thought it would  be fun to share some recipes or even decent products that people use for personal hygiene, beauty, etc.  I just read a book called 'no more dirty looks', and there were actually some good ideas in there. 

make-up: for black coloring (eye liner, mascara, eye shadow) - mix activated charcoal with oil

lotion: after using just coconut oil all winter and my skin still being horribly dry and rough, i am now in the process of making tallow based lotion.  according to online sources, mixing 10 parts tallow with 1 part any room temp oil will keep it soft enough. essential oils optional.

same here..

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 10:32:27 am »
I've got rave about my activated charcoal eye liner... it's awesome!!! and I've gotten to be a pro with application  ;D

I'm going to get some beeswax at the farmers market tmrw to make something with beet root powder for my lips. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:08:18 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 02:46:21 am »
activated charcoal eyeliner!

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 02:33:42 am »
Ioanna, it looks great!  You have such a nice complexion and beautiful face as well :) 

I tried the activated charcoal to add a bit of darkness at the lashes, mixed with a little dr bronners lotion(its oils + essential oils basically) and OMG, sexy......too sexy for me so I tried to gentle wipe it off and it was then a smokey eye, hehe!  I have never worn make up in my life so it makes me self conscious lol but this would be totally great for others :)

Have you experimented with your bees wax beet lips?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 06:45:43 am »
thanks, jessica!  i did experiment with the beet root powder, but it is grainy. it doesn't dissolve into anything to make for a smooth application. so, i'm going to try pomegranite powder  for the coloring and see if that works. any suggestions welcomed, i'm having fun with this :D

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 10:09:23 am »
How about making beet juice, a small amount, and dehydrating it.  Thus you wouldn't have the fiber that's in the powdered beet. 

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 03:08:45 pm »
Beautiful, Joanna.....!  :-* You are such a beauty.. with the sexy charcoal eyes I am thinking you will have to run and hide from men!

I need to go and hunt for the charcoal today. last time they did not have it in our drug store...
I love natural make up...  makes fun to me too :) I never forget when I was a teenager in school and thought I would use carrot juice for getting a nice color, like make up. I put it on my whole face. In school one of my classmates commented when we played outside on the break; How comes you are so yellow....??? Oh man I was so ashamed I never used the carrot juice anymore..lol

Van, the dried beet juice sounds like a great idea... I actually have thought about it myself. May be mixed with a beeswax lip balm and maybe mixed with some dried carrot juice too if the color was not perfect

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 10:26:17 pm »
funny story about the carrot juice at school story,  brought me back to some of my embarrassments.    how about just a small amount of coconut oil with the dehydrated beet.    But thinking about it, fresh beet juice ( just shred a bit and squeeze with a tea strainer) with a layer of coconut oil on top (after applying).   

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 02:09:41 am »
I was eating salmon the other day and some scales came off on my finger and I looked at them and how iridescent they shined in the light and thought, wow, if these were crushed up and somehow removed the smell, they would make a beautiful eye shadow.

Have any of you girls considered or done that? Fish scale eyeshadow?
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 04:35:38 am »
im pretty sure eyeshadow was originally bugs, like beetles shells and also butterfly wings have extremely beautiful iridescent powder on them.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 06:40:54 am »
im pretty sure eyeshadow was originally bugs, like beetles shells and also butterfly wings have extremely beautiful iridescent powder on them.

This makes me imagine some of those beetles from the movie "The Mummy." Those ones that crawl under your skin and eat you from the inside out.

This is relevant:

Higher quality than most eye shadows I've seen.

Probably the only other animal with that quality of skin pigmentation I've seen in the Pacific Northwest are lizards and some birds. I'm sure you could dry and crush both of those with good results.

Ioanna, I was going to mention about using pomegranate, they have stained my fingers, but also causes them to collect dirt and turn them brown. Hopefully your lips don't turn brown!

Cherries stain pretty well. Raspberries too. I also give a +1 to beet juice with some kind of oil for absorption.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 02:39:24 pm »
lol many great natural make up tips  ;D

That beet juice thing I have to try Van. The bugs...... IDK..... :o  >D (except of the fish shells maybe lol)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2014, 07:54:00 am »
I tried various clays and my sister told me about another one that's even slightly better than the Morrocan red--Redmond montmorillonite bentonite clay, at least in taste.

It was posted about before, but I don't think I saw this until now:

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/journals/letsdoiteczema's-experiments/msg98627/#msg98627
- Tried different brands of Clay (specifically for internal use) from iHerb.com
- "Redmond Clay" brand is strangely delicious and sweet when mixed with water, but dissolves poorly in water - I have to allow clumps of dried clay into my mouth and swish it in between my teeth vigorously to mix the clay properly with water.
I too noticed that the Redmond clay is somewhat good tasting and mildly sweet and it does clump at first, but you can keep mixing it to get it to mix, as shown in this vid:

http://www.redmondclay.com/2012/how-to-use-redmond-clay-internally

Interestingly, the guy in the vid says the clay doesn't have a taste for him and his mother finds it to taste bad.

A better way to mix it is in a jar like in this vid:
Benefits of Calcium Bentonite Clay

I notice too that if I drink mineral water, the water itself doesn't taste sweet, but I get a sweet taste in my saliva afterwards that's rather nice.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:28:08 am by PaleoPhil »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk