Author Topic: Food Restriction and AGEs  (Read 4230 times)

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Food Restriction and AGEs
« on: December 25, 2008, 06:06:06 am »
Since this is not specifically about 'fats'  I thought it should have it's own thread.

I found this very interesting:

http://jasn.asnjournals.org/cgi/reprint/11/8/1488.pdf

Reduction of intrarenal and arterial AGE accumulation by food restric
tion was confirmed by immunostaining in optical microscopy
Age-related changes in arterial and kidney structures as polyuria
and proteinuria were mainly prevented by food restriction. These
data indicate that chronic food restriction reduces the accumula
tion of AGE and preserves the structure and function of the rena
and cardiovascular systems in lean rats, although it did not affec
survival of the animals between 10 and 30 mo.

Which once again brings us back to the possible importance of Calorie Restriction. Perhaps more important than not eating a hot soup over how much soup is actually eaten.

Best wishes,
Avalon  :D

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Food Restriction and AGEs
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 06:51:17 am »
Well, it seems logical that not eating lots of AGE-rich cooked-foods for long periods would give the body time to get rid of the accumulated toxins.

The catch with caloric restriction is that people and animals who practice it over  long periods tend to feel things such as diminished sexual function, general tiredness, muscle-weakness etc, so that the benefits tend to be outweighed by the consequences. The best approach is Intermittent Fasting which some studies seem to indicate gives most or all of the benefits of caloric resriction without the disadvantages.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 10:17:50 am »
Well, it seems logical that not eating lots of AGE-rich cooked-foods for long periods would give the body time to get rid of the accumulated toxins.
I doubt it's as simplistic as that Dear TD  -\ or maybe it is  ;)

The catch with caloric restriction is that people and animals who practice it over  long periods tend to feel things such as diminished sexual function, general tiredness, muscle-weakness etc, so that the benefits tend to be outweighed by the consequences. The best approach is Intermittent Fasting which some studies seem to indicate gives most or all of the benefits of caloric resriction without the disadvantages.

Perhaps we aren't supposed to be fraking like bunnies in the first place. As far as I know, both methods have some good info backing them up. As you probably know there are several diet versions out there already, but still we are experimenting as we go.

Who knows, maybe that'll be my New years Resolution! To quote Panda "I eat when I'm upset" WHAAAA!!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Avalon  ;D

Offline Waungata

• Trapper
  • Neander Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 03:56:08 pm »

Perhaps we aren't supposed to be fraking like bunnies in the first place. As far as I know, both methods have some good info backing them up. As you probably know there are several diet versions out there already, but still we are experimenting as we go.

Who knows, maybe that'll be my New years Resolution! To quote Panda "I eat when I'm upset" WHAAAA!!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Avalon  ;D

Merry Christmas to you-all too!

Who would want to fuck like bunnies when starved? No one! Intermittent fasting, especially on RAW paleo IF, has the same effect regarding longevity as calorie restriction without those negative side-effects. You aren't starving on IF, you're just giving your system the break it needs without starving it of nutrients.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:35:03 am by TylerDurden »

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 01:49:00 am »
Starving is such a harsh word and I don't think it applies universally to Calorie Restriction. Actually, I suppose on an all raw diet say with no Oatmeal or Potatoes or Rice, it might be easy to go hungry calorie wise. The 'good' Okinawans who eat 15-1800 calories a day are one of our best examples of longevity and CR. And I think Intermittent Fasting is just fine. I don't think it is the only path however.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk