Author Topic: I now virtually have my own farm  (Read 8001 times)

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
I now virtually have my own farm
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:33:49 am »
100 acres... fencing, pay, livestock, excellent pristine location! People looking for the good life, hit me up! Hoping to get some help planting a garden and such thing spring. Whatevs. Peace!

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: I now virtually have my own farm
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:15:41 pm »
rogue whatchu thank about doing perennial wilderness gardens and orchards, like asparagus, mushrooms, walnuts and herbs?  I am super sick of market//csa//row gardening......mostly just want herd animals, ducks, turkeys and encourage the wilderness to flourish with forageables.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 04:08:34 am »
Where do you live?
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 12:33:48 am »
Lower Northern Michigan in Montmorency County.

I am totally down with permaculture, just haven't had the time or my own place to experiment much with it. The most productive "farm" i have ever been to was a woods in southern Indiana. It was all maples, black walnuts, nettles, ground nuts and mushrooms everywhere. Totally a sea of nettles. Perfect natural food forest.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 03:51:33 am »
Just posted this add on Rodale and Permies

Looking for partner or partners to start cattle company/ecovillage pirate farmer community.

Hey! Tired of dreaming of a tomorrow that may never come? I was. I went out into the wilderness in a cabin in southeast Indiana and bought goats, 5 years ago. I have moved from place to place since then, picked up some jersey cows, hopped around a bit more and I finally found a great place! I have a backer, 100 acres for at least the next 3 years, with the opportunity to buy, land that has never been farmed or had chemicals applied, a good foot of black sandy topsoil goes over most of the property. We got some of the best water in the country from a 150 foot well, a big bulldozer, 10 cows, 30 goats, acres of fields and woods and wetlands who knows what's next!
I am as about as radical as radical can be without being criminally insane! Organically and nutritionally radical! I have been organic farming 7 years and have studied the works of Sir Arthur Howard, Charles Walters, Masanobu Fukuoka, Bill Mollison, Sepp Holzer, the Nordells, Joel Salatin, Pat Colby and more. Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and We Want To Live by Aajonus Vonderplanitz are my favorite non-farming books. I was pretty into End Game by Derrick Jensen but honestly couldn't make myself read it.
What I am looking for is people to join forces to start an organic farming community of sorts. Right now I'm in Northern Michigan, but it might not be forever, however, I would like to buy this property as well as likely others in other places or of course lease other properties. There would be obvious advantages to having land closer to urban centers but also different regions have vast advantages in different crops and farming techniques. Wouldn't it be great to travel and visit and be at home wherever you go?
I want to push the boundaries and looking for others with the same agenda. I have seen with dismay the ecological food movement being taken over by "fake it til you make it types" but also people with the best of intentions, who really don't know much about organic farming. Sub par produce that is often more expensive and labor intensive to produce is passing the grade. I think the competition is weak. Growing a superior product than 98% of what's out there comes natural to those who delve into this movement with true passion, openness and honesty.
Life is too short to be spent stooped over pulling weeds by hand in barren sun scorched fields. I don't care to hear about all the cattle farmer's "cow problems". I'm not going to force feed my animals crap that kills earthworms, but sadly most of the local foods movement farmers I talk to are not above this. I'm not trying to insult anyone, I know everybody is trying their best. But I want to raise the bar.
I am looking for people interested in dynamic healing, of our own bodies and of our surroundings. We must leave the land we use in better shape for the next generation. We must sacrifice so that others will not suffer the hardship we grew up in. Are you with me? In the words of uncle Joel, "don't wait, do it NOW". For those who want clean wholesome food NOW, who want a healthier ecosystem NOW, who want to live in a better community NOW, let's start it NOW! I'm not looking for nor yet prepared to accept interns. I am looking for experienced or committed individuals who want to start their farming careers NOW, who want to make money for the good of the planet. Money is not the source of all evil, greed is. Let us be paradigm changing entrepreneurs who are remembered for creating a bright future for the children of tomorrow.
Requirements for applicants... youthful enthusiasm! It would help if you have done farm work, have a good work ethic, have skills in some of these categories... veterinary, mechanical, engineering, carpentry, gardening, stockmanship, nutrition, wildcraft, traditional skills, hunting/fishing or even biology. But mostly youthful enthusiasm. Wouldn't hurt if your a rock and roller at heart like me, but remember, we will be the neo hippies, we don't want to get f'ed up, we want to get un-f'ed up! HEALING!
If that wasn't too confusing or if it was interesting to you, go ahead and give me a ring! 9 eight 9-2 five 5-3325

Sincerely thank you for your consideration, peace and love,

Emile.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:52:31 am by cherimoya_kid »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:52:53 am »
Good post . I hope you find some people. :)

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:56:26 pm »
What do you feed them during winter months?
How much is the land?
What's around it?  corn fields or forested?

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 01:04:26 am »
Forested of course! The county is 80% forested and I'm pretty sure there is 2 miles at least to the closest corn field. The land is 2250 an acre, there are some worthwhile improvements to make it worth that.

Hay, minerals, kelp, vitamins and salt. However I can be a "neglectful" farmer and make my cows eat through snow quite a ways into winter. Also I have recently found out about a way to preserve forages to maintain omega three levels and near fresh forage quality and am hoping to get into that ASAP, though probably not this year. However my herd is seasonal so they won't be making milk then anyways.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 03:48:20 am »
Do you hunt deers there in late fall?  Do you get farm tags?

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 04:01:50 am »
You can hunt deer around the area, plenty of government land. There are no deer on the farm. You can apply for lottery elk hunting even. Salmon fishing.

Also there are plenty of squirrels, groundhogs and porcupines on the farm.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 03:53:49 am »
so are you accepting visitors yet? will there be meat and milk available for me to purchase if I come there?

im very interested in doing the same thing as you, i would love to see how its working for you and try to learn from your experience.
-----------

Offline lena

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 01:08:24 pm »
Hi do you still need help?

I'm looking for something like an internship, but more just working on a farm for a while and gaining experience and helping to create something.

I posted an ad type thing in this section too, my email is lenalove206@gmail.com

Thanks and your farm/ideas sounds awesome

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 04:44:22 am »
SABAT SABAT SABAT

sigh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk