Author Topic: Some thoughts on instinctive eating  (Read 8288 times)

Offline scottjmurray

• Forager
    • View Profile
Some thoughts on instinctive eating
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:20:22 am »
Hello, I'm new to these forums so I figured I would introduce myself here. I've been eating instinctively (apparently) for the last few months (barring last month). I was just in a facility where we didn't have access to raw meats and so my diet was disrupted but this week I've been shifting it back to the patterns I'm familiar with. For the past six months I've been eating a raw food diet (without much research on instincto) and I identified with a couple of things that I've just now read about:

1. I naturally went mono or eating only 1 food at a time. I began to think how strange it was to combine foods when you could just grab a carrot or corn on the cob from the fridge and eat that way. I didn't know that this was a recommendation for this diet.

2. I did overeat fruits, especially in the evening. I wasn't listening for an instinctive "stop" or taste-change at the time. I'm curious as to why this didn't develop because after reading about these phenomenon I instantly was able to notice them. Within a few days my portions are now under control and I don't get so stuffed when I eat at night. Taste-change is a remarkable phenomenon and now I experience it even with the fruits that I tended to overeat.

3. Lack of thirst. It occurred to me quite spontaneously one evening that I hadn't had a drink of water in more than a week. My guess is that I get most of my water from the food itself. Rarely am I drawn to drinking water.

4. This is by far the easiest diet I have ever followed. I found it difficult to make the transition off of the "wrong food" and did so gradually but now it seems like the most natural thing in the world. In fact the last month where I didn't have the opportunity to eat the raw meats and other things I was accustomed to was intensely confusing. I had to resort to using logic to eat and to top it off all of the cooked foods produced psychoactive effects similar to taking drugs. It's hard to imagine sustaining the other diets. I exhibit a lot of distressing mental and physical symptoms when I eat cooked food now.

I noticed that in the absence of experimentation or curiosity about new foods my diet tended to stay within a certain bracket that I was accustomed to. This was probably depriving me of certain nutrients and I'm glad that I'm branching out and trying new foods. I plan to try various shellfish and eggs over the next week or so, as well as new fruits and vegetables that I haven't eaten for a while.

I don't know much about the science of this diet but I do know that it seems to cooperate with my body in a way that no other diet has. Also this forum has provided some invaluable information for me, so thank you. :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:52:37 am by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Some thoughts on instinctive eating
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 04:01:10 am »
Welcome to the forum! It's nice to come across someone who has has had little difficulty in getting used to the right type of diet for them. I wasted many years trying out other types of diets, and then a further 6 months trying out raw dairy before finally coming across a rawpalaeo-type Instinctoish diet that fixed everything for me.

Hmm, lack of thirst... I will admit that I likely overeat because I always drink water with my raw animal foods. Perhaps I can cut down by just drinking water at other times...

Do you have a clean source of tapwater or is your tapwater  just recycyled urine?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline scottjmurray

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 06:01:25 am »
I was just thinking about the lack of thirst thing. Tapwater here tastes awful which might explain why I never drank it. I just bought some spring water and drank a few mouthfuls after some raw beef & avocados to see if that might be different for me. The spring water had a really definable stop to it--almost like a kick.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 06:17:24 am »
I was just thinking about the lack of thirst thing. Tapwater here tastes awful which might explain why I never drank it. I just bought some spring water and drank a few mouthfuls after some raw beef & avocados to see if that might be different for me. The spring water had a really definable stop to it--almost like a kick.
My  appetite for raw animal foods decreased considerably  if I drank London tapwater, which goes through an average of 8 human bladders before it reaches you.

Re distilled:- Never drink distilled water. I used to do it as an experiment. It was a disaster as there was no "stop" signal involved, I juet kept on drinking and never feeling hydrated enough from it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:06:02 pm »
I drink distilled and it's fine for me. Nothing really gives me am instinctive stop. I never eat a single food until it starts tasting bad. I weigh out my animal and plant foods and eat based on the amount of protein, fat, and carbs I want to eat.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 03:13:14 am »
The following posts talking about water have been moved to the relevant topic:
Instincto Opinion on Water?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 05:12:42 am »
Hello, I'm new to these forums so I figured I would introduce myself here.

Welcome !

1. I naturally went mono or eating only 1 food at a time. I began to think how strange it was to combine foods when you could just grab a carrot or corn on the cob from the fridge and eat that way. I didn't know that this was a recommendation for this diet.

It’s the way our pre-fire ancestors certainly ate, so that’s the logical thing to do if we really want to eat “raw paleo”…

2. I did overeat fruits, especially in the evening. I wasn't listening for an instinctive "stop" or taste-change at the time. I'm curious as to why this didn't develop because after reading about these phenomenon I instantly was able to notice them. Within a few days my portions are now under control and I don't get so stuffed when I eat at night. Taste-change is a remarkable phenomenon and now I experience it even with the fruits that I tended to overeat.

An instinctive stop is not necessarily a “taste change”: it very often happens in other ways, such as a slight nausea, a feeling of being full up or even that we have enough of this particular stuff.

3. Lack of thirst. It occurred to me quite spontaneously one evening that I hadn't had a drink of water in more than a week. My guess is that I get most of my water from the food itself. Rarely am I drawn to drinking water.

…! We are all different and changing… I rather tended to be always thirsty for my first 20 years of “instincto” until a few years ago when I suddenly happened to drink much less. Now I’m again in a slightly more thirsty period…

4. This is by far the easiest diet I have ever followed.

Absolutely right, I feel the same. It must be because it’s not a restrictive diet: we eat whatever we like and as much as we like — the only condition being that the food must be raw and paleo. I would never have been able to follow any another specific diet. The pleasure to eat is very important, and eating this way is much more pleasurable for me than a with a standard cooked diet.

I drink distilled and it's fine for me.

Most people drink coffee and booze and it’s fine for them! I guess drinking some distilled or pure rainwater would be ok if we also drank puddles water like animals do. 

Nothing really gives me am instinctive stop. I never eat a single food until it starts tasting bad.

We (“instinctos”) usually don’t do it neither. There a very common belief in English speaking countries that the “instinctive stop” should necessarily be a ‘taste change”, but it’s plainly wrong. Must be due to Severen Schaeffer who oversimplified the account in his book, I guess.   
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 05:34:41 am »
I speak from experience:- distilled water is nothing like rainwater. Rainwater is far healthier by comparison.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 05:36:41 am »
I believe you. I never drank distilled water, but sometimes rainwater.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 05:42:58 am »
I speak from experience:- distilled water is nothing like rainwater. Rainwater is far healthier by comparison.

Rain water is essentially the same thing except it's had a chance ro mix with air pollution. Distilled water os the purest water there is.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 06:01:32 am »
Rain water is essentially the same thing except it's had a chance to mix with air pollution. Distilled water is the purest water there is.
Now, I know that is pure b*llsh*t. Rainwater happens to be slightly acidic(heavily acidic if you buy into the acid rain theory) and has bacteria and various minerals in it. Having it fall into metal water-tanks makes it even less "pure" than distilled water, anyway.......
" Ron Paul.

Offline scottjmurray

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 07:44:11 am »
Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to trying out new foods. I have a durian sitting in my fridge at the moment and I'm waiting to crack it open. I'm also interested in safus; hopefully the Asian markets around here will carry some of the more tropical stuff. I got a bunch of plantains today and they're very tasty.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 09:47:25 am »
Now, I know that is pure b*llsh*t. Rainwater happens to be slightly acidic(heavily acidic if you buy into the acid rain theory) and has bacteria and various minerals in it. Having it fall into metal water-tanks makes it even less "pure" than distilled water, anyway.......

Distilled water is pH neutral, so is rain water. What makes them both acidic is when it combines with CO2. Distilled and rain are essentially the same. Are you suggesting that minerals evaporate with the water?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 04:03:41 pm »
Distilled water is pH neutral, so is rain water. What makes them both acidic is when it combines with CO2. Distilled and rain are essentially the same. Are you suggesting that minerals evaporate with the water?
All incorrect. Here is further info on acidity of  rainwater and how rainwater is nothing like distilled water:-

http://purepro.com.au/blog/why-is-rain-water-acidic-low-ph
" Ron Paul.

Offline scottjmurray

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 03:47:07 am »
Updates

Whew. I forgot how crazy the first few days / weeks of a diet transition could be. Even though I was only eating cooked meats and some blanched vegetables in place of the raw stuff I was accustomed to it's definitely been topsy-turvy. The intensity of the cravings (some of them non-specific, which means I have to guess about what to get to eat) are quite strong at the moment. I find I'm eating a LOT more today than I have in recent memory. Earlier this morning I felt like I was lacking something and had to run to the store to buy my best guess (Plantains). I opened one up in the car and, oh my God, did it ever taste good.

I'm finding what's helpful is just having a cornucopia of raw foods where I'm working (my computer desk, in this case) so I can grab something to see if it's what I need to eat. I'm not totally tuned in or adapted to what my instincts are telling me right now so I have periods where I can tell I'm not eating the thing I actually need. I hope this need/seek will solidify soon. It's annoying having a craving that isn't connected to anything in particular.

Also drinking a lot more water and eating a lot more meat that I recall, I've almost finished a gallon of spring water in the last few days. I have a lot of euphoria as well, particularly in the evening after eating meats when I'm relaxing or when I'm driving somewhere. I feel very content during these times.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 04:07:01 am »
BTW, it is strongly recommended to drink before the meals, not after. Drinking shortly after a meal dilute the gastric juices, hampering digestion.

Cheers
François

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk