Author Topic: Icelandic sheep investors.  (Read 3009 times)

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
Icelandic sheep investors.
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:37:37 am »
http://centralmich.craigslist.org/grd/3795599207.html

I want to get all of those lambs and perhaps some of the older ewes.

If you want in, for 300 you can get a full lamb, 150 a half lamb. If you get the full lamb you can even have the pelt which is a steal. I believe they will end up with 40-50 pound carcasses in the fall, though I need to do more research, but I think we are talking 35-40 pounds of meat, perhaps 50. I might have to charge a bit more if it's 50.

Icelandic sheep are awesome. They were brought to iceland 1000 years ago by Vikings. They are not related to any modern sheep breeds. They are the most primitive commercial sheep breed, the best for grass fed (no grain in iceland, icelandic sheep have larger rumens). They have the best flavored meat of any breed, perhaps of any commonly eaten species of animal, they really are up on top. They are triple purpose, have two kinds of wool, very valuable pelts and wool that is great for felting, milk and meat. They don't require the inhumane practice of tail docking which most breeds supposedly require. Beautiful animals.

If you are interested let me know!

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Icelandic sheep investors.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:01:24 am »
I would definitely try one if I was within driving distance.  Currently I pay $6/lb for Amish lamb delivered to my house.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:04:37 am »
I am going to buy at least 5 of these, hoping to scrape up cash to get more.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:33:09 pm »
I would definitely try one if I was within driving distance.  Currently I pay $6/lb for Amish lamb delivered to my house.

where do you get your lamb from?

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:32:51 pm »
There is a middle man who buys it from Amish and delivers to homes.  That's his price.  I don't know what he pays.

I also buy Amish beef from him at $3.70/lb and eggs $3/dozen.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 09:47:28 pm »
Is the lamb 100% grass fed? I forgot to ask that. My lamb will be and this breed is the best for grass fed so will have plenty of vim and vinegar.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk