Author Topic: instinctive nutrition while being on vacation  (Read 5219 times)

Offline LifeIsExperience

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
instinctive nutrition while being on vacation
« on: May 27, 2013, 04:57:58 pm »
Hi! I am on an instinctive nutrition for more than two years now  8) . It was a radical and successful cut. It is not a big issue having a good selection of real (not denaturated) raw foods, e.g. fuits, meat, fish, ... . But I don't know how to preserve a good raw selection of foods being on vacation. What is your experience? Any suggestions or hints? I would like to travel across europe for some weeks (england, france, spain). How can I manage this?

Regards
LifeIsExperience

my english sucks? i am aware of it!

your food doesn't satisfy you? broaden your choice! still not satisfied? simply skip your next meal

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: instinctive nutrition while being on vacation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »
Hi, welcome.

In France you can find seafood, fresh fruits and vegetables everywhere. In Spain too, especially in season. I never had a problem finding raw paleo food while traveling around the world, except for a few days after a hurricane on a remote Pacific island.

I think it would more difficult in China or Siberia, but I've never been there.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline LifeIsExperience

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 05:22:31 pm »
hi iguana!

so you didn't stock any food? you just started your journey? did you do some research in advance about local markets, food stores, ...?

regards

your food doesn't satisfy you? broaden your choice! still not satisfied? simply skip your next meal

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 06:22:31 pm »
Yes, I didn't take food along, except for the flights. I didn't do any research in advance either. Just go to local markets and supermarkets. Paradoxically, it's generally in big cities that you find the broader food choice. In  countrysides, you can sometimes find free food in abandoned orchards and such. From August to October, plenty of figs that nobody cares to gather.

When traveling by car, it's easier because you can load your vehicle with a lot of different foods before to go, and also buy food along the road. 

If you like seafood, no problem.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline LifeIsExperience

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:48 am »
Hi Iguana,

thx for your advice and sharing your experience. You mentioned local markets and supermarkets. What kind of food will i get there? Some non-exotic fruits (bananas, apples, maybe mango) and some vegetables. I don't thinc that this will satisfy me for a whole vacation. What about the availability of some exotic fruits? What about meat and eggs (based on a no-grains-diet)? What about coconuts and other fatty foodstuff? I suppose it is impossible to get these things on the countryside in england, france, ... . Especially when you are a backpacker (that is what i am going to be on vacation). Maybe my problem is kind of special :)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 03:53:54 am »
I also went 3 times around the world backpacking (except in North America where I bought a travel van) and could always find suitable raw food. Proper meat and eggs are very hard to find, thus I relied on seafood. Sometimes you can find unfrozen New Zealand lamb in supermarkets; this is good meat, only grass fed. Ripe coconuts are always available in every supermarket, although they are often old and bad. In summer you’ll find plenty different fruits, but most commercial mangoes and papayas from South America are not edible, unripe and probably irradiated. I’ve been told that mangoes from Peru are not irradiated, though. Pineapples, bananas, oranges, avocados are usually ok except avocados from South Africa and Israel which are likely to be irradiated.   

Offline LifeIsExperience

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 03:12:42 pm »
A brief summary so far: fruits, vegetables, fish and fat of non-animal origin should be easy. But what about animal fat? What about the availability e.g. in france, Iguana?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk