Author Topic: Someone's blog on why they stopped taking fermented cod liver oil, opinions?  (Read 4948 times)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
http://nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.com/2013/01/why-we-stopped-taking-fermented-cod.html

tl;dr- liked unfermented cod oil, it was light brown and tasty, got the fermented and it had "pieces of liver fermenting in the bottle" and was dark brown and thick and tasted terrible. Apparently many people have issues with digesting the fermented type also.

I was going to pick some up on the advice of others here and just ran across this.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
After buying a few bottles of the Blue Ice fermented cod liver oil some years back I stopped also. My reasons were more practical though: I found it to be too pricey for the benefits it offered. I'm also afraid of the high amount of pollutants in cod liver oil, or fish more generally. I know others insist that they get the pollutants out somehow, or that they don't matter, but I don't buy either of these assertions for even one second.

I have ready access to 100% grass-fed cattle and sheep liver, so I eat plenty of liver and actively experiment with different ways of fermenting it to get some probiotic benefits too. After going this route for a few years, I think I'll stick with livers from land animals from here on. No cod liver oil for me.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I tried Blue Ice FCLO, mainly because I try everything. I didn't become a repeat customer because I decided to eat whole offal, not extracted oil, whenever possible. I love the taste of liver. Not so FCLO - which is sold with natural flavor as well as flavored with enticing cover-up flavors. Green Pasture goes into great detail about how to disguise the flavor of plain FCLO.

However, I do not have any dispute with the fermented method of oil extraction. Although there might be other options that are better, fermentation is not as bad as cooking/boiling methods of extraction.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
I made a big order of fermented cod liver oil Blue Ice for my son when he was gravely ill.  It's expensive.  Just so he can eat raw fat.  Stopped buying when he got well.  Expensive.

For myself I just eat the various raw fats available.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
as far as I know blue ice fclo is the only legitimately raw fclo on the market.

a bad experience is to be expected with all other brands

as far as I can tell their problem with it is that it smelled and tasted horrible...all I can say is welcome to the world of fermented organs.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:56:50 pm by svrn »
-----------

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I didn't care for the taste of Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil. It tasted bad, rancid. I had to force myself to eat it, which I did until I used it all up.

The taste of my fermented 100% grass-fed cattle and sheep liver isn't bad at all. It has the sharp tangy bite I would expect from a fermented food with overtones of liver, but doesn't taste bad or rancid at all. I eat a few cubes of it with other raw organs or meats as well as fermented vegetables every day, and look forward to it.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
I didn't care for the taste of Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil. It tasted bad, rancid. I had to force myself to eat it, which I did until I used it all up.

The taste of my fermented 100% grass-fed cattle and sheep liver isn't bad at all. It has the sharp tangy bite I would expect from a fermented food with overtones of liver, but doesn't taste bad or rancid at all. I eat a few cubes of it with other raw organs or meats as well as fermented vegetables every day, and look forward to it.

It would be my expectation also that fermented fish should be similar to pickled herring (which I love, though thats used with white wine vinegar from costco, doubt thats healthy  -\)

as far as I know blue ice fclo is the only legitimately raw fclo on the market.

a bad experience is to be expected with all other brands

as far as I can tell their problem with it is that it smelled and tasted horrible...all I can say is welcome to the world of fermented organs.

If I get benefits, then I'm game.

After buying a few bottles of the Blue Ice fermented cod liver oil some years back I stopped also. My reasons were more practical though: I found it to be too pricey for the benefits it offered. I'm also afraid of the high amount of pollutants in cod liver oil, or fish more generally. I know others insist that they get the pollutants out somehow, or that they don't matter, but I don't buy either of these assertions for even one second.

I have ready access to 100% grass-fed cattle and sheep liver, so I eat plenty of liver and actively experiment with different ways of fermenting it to get some probiotic benefits too. After going this route for a few years, I think I'll stick with livers from land animals from here on. No cod liver oil for me.

Wouldnt there be a bit of different nutrients, phytonutrients, trace minerals, anything else in a sea liver though? compared to land liver? Maybe its not enough to be important.

I'm trying to go as small on supplements myself, moving that money towards higher quality foods, so I can see your reasoning for sure.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk