Author Topic: Do organic veggies need to be washed?  (Read 6022 times)

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Do organic veggies need to be washed?
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:10:20 am »
Should organic veggies be washed?? Also, if fruits are not organic, specfically berries, should they be avoided??

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Do organic veggies need to be washed?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:08:58 am »
Some foods are almost never sprayed with pesticides, even when they are conventionally-grown, like avocados and broccoli.  Other foods like peaches, cherries, and grapes, are heavily sprayed. You can google it if you want.  The smart money is on never eating the skins of most conventionally-grown produce.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:21:14 am »
Some foods are almost never sprayed with pesticides, even when they are conventionally-grown, like avocados and broccoli.  Other foods like peaches, cherries, and grapes, are heavily sprayed. You can google it if you want.  The smart money is on never eating the skins of most conventionally-grown produce.

Interesting. I typically only consume blueberries, strawberries, bananas, avocados. Do not ever consume grapes or cherries, peachies rarely

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 03:48:09 pm »
the pesticides permeate every single cell of the crops exposed to them. Dont fool yuorself into thinking your safe just because you left the skin.
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 07:32:57 pm »
the pesticides permeate every single cell of the crops exposed to them. Dont fool yuorself into thinking your safe just because you left the skin.

Eating the fruits that generally aren't sprayed much is not a big problem.  Mango, avocado, etc.. It's only when you're eating a lot of conventional grapes/cherries/peaches/etc. that you are taking risks. And, my guess is that some people are much more likely to get sick from these than other people.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 07:24:31 am »
Eating the fruits that generally aren't sprayed much is not a big problem.  Mango, avocado, etc.. It's only when you're eating a lot of conventional grapes/cherries/peaches/etc. that you are taking risks. And, my guess is that some people are much more likely to get sick from these than other people.

Well, I do not consume much if any grapes, cherries, peaches etc. I mainly consume blueberries, strawberries, bananas (not all the time organic though).

I do how consume a good amount of non-organic avocados.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:42:08 am »
Well, I do not consume much if any grapes, cherries, peaches etc. I mainly consume blueberries, strawberries, bananas (not all the time organic though).

I do how consume a good amount of non-organic avocados.

Strawberries are heavily sprayed.  Here's a link to an excellent page on the subject:

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary.php

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:10:50 am »
Strawberries are heavily sprayed.  Here's a link to an excellent page on the subject:

Damn, most of the foods I consume is heavily sprayed. Damn it!

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:26:27 am »

This only obviously applies to non-organic strawberries though right? Or can some organic strawberries contain pesticides as well? By definition, I know they shouldn't but I don't trust these companies..

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 09:03:29 am »
This only obviously applies to non-organic strawberries though right? Or can some organic strawberries contain pesticides as well? By definition, I know they shouldn't but I don't trust these companies..

It all depends on the farmer.  If he's honest, he's honest.  If not, he's not.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 10:17:47 am »
It all depends on the farmer.  If he's honest, he's honest.  If not, he's not.
I typically buy my veggies from markets such as sprouts

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 10:44:52 am »
#1 It depends on the farmer, but there is a #2: it depends on the location of the grower. The reason I say this is because I live in agricultural California. Reputable organic farms lie next to agrichemical operations. Our agricultural valleys are windy places. Dust blows everything here and there. Many agricultural areas also have chronic smog (,but not all). I wouldn't trust the air over an organic farm, even if the farmer has the best intentions, unless you are familiar with the area. I say, if it's a non-windy area, don't bother to wash if you don't want to. If it's a windy area, wash to be sure.

Also, a few years back I remember a discussion on the radio of the causes of e. coli outbreaks due to field crops, and, historically, there have been culprits such as field mice (droppings), incompletely-composted manures, and poor hygiene on the part of field workers. Considering that agribusiness has managed to develop antibiotic-resistant strains of e. coli through their feedlot practices, you might want to wash all commercial field produce.

"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 12:16:26 pm »
#1 It depends on the farmer, but there is a #2: it depends on the location of the grower. The reason I say this is because I live in agricultural California. Reputable organic farms lie next to agrichemical operations. Our agricultural valleys are windy places. Dust blows everything here and there. Many agricultural areas also have chronic smog (,but not all). I wouldn't trust the air over an organic farm, even if the farmer has the best intentions, unless you are familiar with the area. I say, if it's a non-windy area, don't bother to wash if you don't want to. If it's a windy area, wash to be sure.

Also, a few years back I remember a discussion on the radio of the causes of e. coli outbreaks due to field crops, and, historically, there have been culprits such as field mice (droppings), incompletely-composted manures, and poor hygiene on the part of field workers. Considering that agribusiness has managed to develop antibiotic-resistant strains of e. coli through their feedlot practices, you might want to wash all commercial field produce.

It makes me so angry how there are so many things we have to do to be healthy just because humans had to fuck things up in the first place

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 07:49:12 am »
It makes me so angry...

The anger will pass.  I thought mine would never pass, but, even with my extremely bad temper, it passed. Not that you care if it passes, I just thought I'd share my experience.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:43 am »
Of course I care if the anger will pass. Anger= high cortisol levels= more health problems

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 09:40:00 am »
Of course I care if the anger will pass. Anger= high cortisol levels= more health problems

I supppose that's true. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk