Author Topic: I want to try this but I'm nervous (Parasites?)  (Read 8127 times)

Offline Synbios64

• Forager
    • View Profile
I want to try this but I'm nervous (Parasites?)
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:34:50 am »
I just found a really good, clean 100% grassfed local farm and they have just recently put a bunch of meat up for sale.

I've never eaten any meat raw before (typical USA diet) but I'm really interested in trying it, especially with such a good source. I was thinking about trying a heart and liver, they look really tasty  :P

I currently do raw eggs with no problem at all, but my concern with raw meat is parasites. Realistically, what are the odds of getting a parasite from a clean heart and liver? I've always been under the impression that raw meat is extremely dangerous, but perhaps that's just another thing that's blown way out of proportion by the corrupt FDA, like with eggs and milk. (Which are virtually 100% safe from clean sources, as we all know)

Some input from some of ya'll that have been doing this for a while would be really appreciated.  :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:58:29 am by Synbios64 »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: I want to try this but I'm nervous
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:40:55 am »
I would not eat raw GRAIN-FED meat, but I think that GRASS-FED animals are healthy and good to eat raw. I find that raw meat digests well for me, but cooked meat leaves me with indigestion. There is too much evidence - my own and from others - to make me nervous about raw. In fact, my general findings are that cooked foods are cause for worry.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: I want to try this but I'm nervous (Parasites?)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:07:23 am »
I'm armed and dangerous against parasites whether on raw diets (where I am now) or with cooked diets (with my kids and my wife).  We have zappers, beam ray machines, herbal dewormers from www.oldfashionedspices.com and www.humaworm.com so that gives us the assurance that parasites who cause trouble will be dealt with accordingly.

Cooked diets don't make you immune from parasites, I had parasites on cooked, my sister had parasites on cooked, my children had parasites on cooked. 

We are at the top of the food chain, we have parasites all the time.  Parasites are everywhere, even in the air you breath.  Just hit them when they cause problems.

Some people are sick because of missing parasites.  See helminthic therapy.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:13:19 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:38:23 am »
I suspect naturally raised animals do have parasites just like wild animals.
Tapeworm cysts are pretty big so if you cut thin slices you can't miss them.
Search this forum for tapeworm cyst and you'll see my picture of deer liver.
I'm not familiar with other parasites.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:22:10 pm »
tape worm cysts are generally only in really poorly produced pork.

grass fed animals who are raised in healthy environments have excellent immune systems and should not have parasites, especially in the muscle meat.  that's not to say there is no risk, but the risk is small.  if you have a healthy and intact immune system it is likely you have or have had parasites but are able to properly thrive. 

if you are worried about parasites it is advised that you freeze your meat before your consume it. 15 days is the standard for land and sea animals.  I would suggest doing this with any offal until you are familiar and comfortable with your producers standards and also with eating raw meats.

if you look through the mb there are a variety of things we do to keep our raw meat fresh and healthy.  one is to buy large chunks of meat as opposed to ground, although with good standards on your farmer and butchers part there should be no issues with ground.  another is to store the meat properly.  to place it on a natural(clay, glass) plate or rack free of any packaging or containment in a nice clean refrigerator.  this actually keeps the meat fresh and palatable and slows the decomposition process.

do a ton of research, raw meats, steak tartars, oysters, they are all the highest quality foods and should be greatly enjoyed.  it seems we have been conditioned out of foods once thought only worthy of dignitaries.

I will give you my personal anecdote that in 5 years of eating high quality, grass fed meats, "natural" chicken, offal, game meat, etc, I have only been sick once, and it was my fault for knowingly purchasing from a vendor with refrigeration issues.  I had the toots, and that's all.  in this time I have worked on improving my health as well as my immune system and am certain that, while its not likely parasites are present, I am not susceptible to ailments they may cause if I were to ingest them.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 03:19:11 pm »
There are specific drugs you can get from any doctor which get rid of parasites. At any rate, RPDers as a whole very rarely report getting parasites and symptoms are usually harmless if they ever do get them.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 04:06:07 pm »
Like Jessica said, freezing for 15 days should kill any parasites. They use a similar process for sushi meat.

As far as non-parasite microorganisms, ie. bacteria. There's plenty of studies showing how safe grass fed meats are.

http://www.eatwild.com/foodsafety.html
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:17:29 pm »
grass fed animals who are raised in healthy environments have excellent immune systems and should not have parasites, especially in the muscle meat.

I'm not familiar with other parasites but in case of tapeworm immune system has nothing to do with.  Immune system does not see tape worms as pathogens. Deer liver where I found 5 cysts looked really healthy and it was the best liver I've ever tasted.  Much better than any grass fed beef liver.

Someone mentioned here that Slankers spray anti-parasite chemicals on their pastures.  I'm sure they don't do it just because.

It is possible to have tapeworm-free pasture if you totally shield it from carnivores passing by and spreading tapeworm eggs.

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:21:54 pm »
There are specific drugs you can get from any doctor which get rid of parasites. At any rate, RPDers as a whole very rarely report getting parasites and symptoms are usually harmless if they ever do get them.

Iodide/Iodine works as well for getting rid of parasites.
3 Years on a Strictly Raw Ketogenic Carnivorous Diet.
*Currently still on a Ketogenic diet but have now incorporated raw vegetables.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:40:04 pm »
I'm not familiar with other parasites but in case of tapeworm immune system has nothing to do with.  Immune system does not see tape worms as pathogens. Deer liver where I found 5 cysts looked really healthy and it was the best liver I've ever tasted.  Much better than any grass fed beef liver.

Someone mentioned here that Slankers spray anti-parasite chemicals on their pastures.  I'm sure they don't do it just because.

It is possible to have tapeworm-free pasture if you totally shield it from carnivores passing by and spreading tapeworm eggs.

you are right YS.  perhaps they have dogs/coyotes and maybe too much poo piled up in one place so as to attract flies that pass on parasites.  that is the only time I have ever seen liver worms.  and it was on my own pigs, I raised them for a farm, so they weren't in the optimal conditions that I would have provided, although it was definitely a nice pen it had a lot of flies.  but they did only eat 100% organic veggies and fruit, grown and hand harvested by yours truly.  when we slaughtered them we just junked the livers because of a few suspicious spots.  in all the wild game meat I have come across, which is in wolf, coyote, bear, mountain lion country, I have never seen any parasites.

I also agree that parasites aren't necessarily harmful, but I think that is only for those with healthfully functioning systems.  I know that mites, bacteria and parasites inhabit every part of our body and are part of our ecology.

I also think, is GoodSamaritan's, his environment is way more likely to host parasites, being so humid and tropical, and he has much more access to fresh fish.  That is why he needs more precaution against them getting out of control or larger parasites such as tapeworms/liver flukes.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 01:58:31 pm »
If your digestion works well, healthy intestines and you have enough stomach acid, I believe you have no risk, really. I have eaten lots of risky stuff, and also I have even seen the parasites in the raw fish.. but I seldom had any issues. If I got any stomachy issues after I just eat some wormwood or take a strong cup of wormwood tea and all issues disappeared. I am not really afraid of any parasites that lives around here anymore. But I also take very good care of my digestive system and I am very disciplined about how I live overall. I eat according to the seasons, and as local as I can. And I avoid electro magnetic fields as much as I can as radiation makes your gut more permeable! I know I can digest almost stones..lol More that a tiny bit fruits in my diet, and the harmony is disrupted.. So IDK if you eat many sweet fruits and have not a healthy colon (bloating and stuff) it might be a risk.

Now, parasites in a different/foreign environment, like for me the Tropics etc. I believe could be very dangerous as I am not adapted to those. Always think, context!

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 10:59:31 am »
.... If I got any stomachy issues after I just eat some wormwood or take a strong cup of wormwood tea and all issues disappeared. ....

Dear Inger,

What is warmwood?
I tried to search at wikipedia and a lot of things appeared as warmwood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormwood

Would it be possible for you to give exactly which warmwood you are talking about. Thanks.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 12:18:23 pm »
Dear Inger,

What is warmwood?
I tried to search at wikipedia and a lot of things appeared as warmwood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormwood

Would it be possible for you to give exactly which warmwood you are talking about. Thanks.

The second letter is "O", not "A". Worm, not warm.

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 12:56:15 pm »
The second letter is "O", not "A". Worm, not warm.

Thank you.
I got it now. And it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemisia_annua

Offline jesterhead

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 01:38:25 pm »
I was concerned too when I first tried raw meat, nothing happened though, no parasites. My dad thought I was nuts and going to end up in the hospital, now I eat raw meat and some organs at the dinner table. Heck, I might have some amoeba or worm in my intestines, but no symptoms. Pretty much everyone has parasites, even people that eat all cooked food.
Weston A. Price on obtaining knowledge from primitive cultures:

"It may be not only our greatest opportunity, but our best hope for stemming the tide of our progressive breakdown and also for our return to harmony with Nature's laws, since life in its fullness is Nature obeyed."

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 11:22:41 pm »
honestly if you are going to get into herbs just order from humaworm, they make a really excellent herbal mix for parasites.  i don't know if i had parasites or what, but i took a round of it last year and definitely felt better during and after taking the pills.  could have totally be placebo, but at least i know i wasn't putting anything harmful in my body.  they make sure to use to proper type and form of herbs (some share common names or have parts that are not as good of medicine) and will make the pills specially formulated for you.  i asked for no licorish because i don't react well to it and voila....my own blend. 

i don't think this is necessary and i think my stomach issues were due to my own bad habits,  but of course, it might make you feel better just to have this on hand.

i think a lot of feelings and issues in our bodies when we are gaining health are just due to adjustment, i really suggest just being very moderate in  your diet, do a really clean paleo diet if you don't want to go full raw, and treat yourself to some sashimi or seared steaks once or twice a week.  be sure to understand vitamins and minerals and the symptoms of deficiencies, which may present themselves as you clean out your diet.  and just have a lot of patience, healing takes a long time, you can force it with diet or supplements, it will take time.

moringa82

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 11:10:58 pm »
Like Jessica said, freezing for 15 days should kill any parasites.

you wait 2 weeks every time you buy meat? that s not practical

moringa82

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 11:15:01 pm »
If your digestion works well, healthy intestines and you have enough stomach acid

well... most poeople DONT have that.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 10:29:22 am »
I think a good policy is not to be afraid of your food unless it smells or tastes bad to you or it is trying to bite you back. Stick to grass-fed for the healthiest meat and try to get local so it will have the same parasites you are already used to. Like many have said before, they are everywhere and unavoidable in life. Your only defense is to be smart about it. Sickening yourself on cooked food for fear of parasites is a losing battle. Freezing is a good option if you are in a sickened state already and don't think you could handle a parasite, but if you are healthy you want the benefits of the bacteria that have not been weakened or killed in the freezer. Soil-based organism probiotics are a good insurance, they will defend your gut somewhat against harmful pathogens.
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 12:18:22 pm »
I think a good policy is not to be afraid of your food unless it smells or tastes bad to you or it is trying to bite you back. Stick to grass-fed for the healthiest meat and try to get local so it will have the same parasites you are already used to. Like many have said before, they are everywhere and unavoidable in life. Your only defense is to be smart about it. Sickening yourself on cooked food for fear of parasites is a losing battle. Freezing is a good option if you are in a sickened state already and don't think you could handle a parasite, but if you are healthy you want the benefits of the bacteria that have not been weakened or killed in the freezer. Soil-based organism probiotics are a good insurance, they will defend your gut somewhat against harmful pathogens.

Yes, yes, YES. All of my thoughts exactly. Emphasis on not worrying about it. My boyfriend and I agreed that unless we are throwing up or truly feel ill, we are fine. There's no reason to worry. Otherwise you're going to be scared with every bite you take, and that is not a good relationship to have with your food.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk