Author Topic: Cycling ketosis for summer/winter  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
Cycling ketosis for summer/winter
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:14:59 am »
I noticed today working outside in the 100 degree weather I felt weak and exhausted. Granted i hadn't had any protein for near 48 hours, just 100% fat. But I noticed the same thing yesterday also. I'm guessing im in or near ketosis because my carb intake has been low for the past month and I feel pretty decent. But the heat drains me so fast. Both days, after taking a cold shower, instantly rejuvenated. As long as I remain cold (60-70 degree weather) I do great. Is it possible carbs help offsetting the heat? Which may be why Eskimos ate so much fat and why warner climates have an easier time with plants especially because they are more available.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Cycling ketosis for summer/winter
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:25:30 am »
ive been in ketosis since December but I, too, have been working outside in 100 degree heat.  I couldn't stomach anything besides cucumbers, so I added jicama and seem to be just fine, I don't feel like its affecting my blood sugar. I am doing physical labor in the sun.  I feel like the added glucose and being out of ketosis is helping my body hold onto more water which is preferable right now. 

in the winter carbs just make me crabby, hungry and unmotivated and bring up all kinds of physical symptoms if over indulged in.

also make sure you are drinking water with some kind of electrolytes, especially potassium and magnesium, but sodium and calcium are also important.  you can use salt and potassium chloride powder(if you cant find it and are in a bind just by lite salt from the regular grocery store) and take a mag glycinate pill.  my boss doesn't do this and told me he wakes up super stiff and in pain, I got him to start taking Epsom salt(magnesium) baths and he said its helping

why no protein?

I hope you have a river to jump in though, god, that's all that saved me yesterday, 5 hours of weeding rows of vegetables that are terraced on a hill side, it was 103 when I finished, I went straight to a huge and frigid river (Clearwater, Idaho!) and sat in it for a good 20 minutes before I was feeling cooled down.  Im actually excited about working tomorrow only because that is my reward :)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:30:52 am by jessica »

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:15:23 am »
No protein because I was attempting Gs's vco detox. My body didn't like that much plant matter And I became a little sick and switched to animal fat. I felt much better but all weak.today I had some protein And since then I've felt better but not perfect yet. Still, I have a much brighter mood than I've had in quite a while so I'm assuming my energy levels will get better with more time away from carbs. Idk how I can give up sweet sweet fruits but I'm hoping it was just the last bit of cooked stuff I was eating that didn't make me perfect (roasted almond butter and jam)

with you adding a bit of cucumbers and not going out of ketosis gives me hope that I've been in ketosis and my first two weeks raw with diarrhea was my adaptation and sugar detox.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:02:54 pm »
My summer vs. winter appetite is markedly different, but always in ketosis. I want fish and seafood in the winter, red meats in the summer. Even my appetite for certain kinds of fats changes from season to season. Also, I eat way less often in the summer.

I stay in ketosis with small amounts of "lightweight" plant carbs, although I don't always eat plants in my typical day. I keep check on ketones with urine test strips. I aim to stay in the light purple range. Too much protein takes me out of ketosis. Too much ketones happens when I need to eat more. I could probably live without test strips, but I like that kind of gadget.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:18:12 pm »
I was thinking of getting those test strips. I like accuracy. Today I bought a food scale ao now i know how much of what I'm eating. I won't use it long i think. Just enough to get a ballpark of what works right for me. my one meal today was 4 oz salmon, 4 oz liver, 3 oz lamb meat, and 5 oz suet dipped in honey. VERY satisfying meal, seeing as I semi fasted the last 3 days.
-Dustin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk