Author Topic: Let's discuss magnesium deficiency...  (Read 18385 times)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: Let's discuss magnesium deficiency...
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 03:19:00 am »
Keep me posted.  I'm curious to hear about your findings.

The refractometer arrived today.

Readings so far:

Sweet cherry: 15.8
Gooseberry (From the genus Ribes): 10.5
Redcurrant: 11.0

Will get some blueberries, raspberries and strawberries in near future.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2013, 04:30:07 am »
Our cherries should be no less than 18 at a time. I cant remember all of our pears but we grow a very very sweet novelty pear called a seckel pear. This can sometimes push 21 IIRC. Some of the sweeter apples we grow, like royal gala, can get above 20.

11 from a redcurrant seems so low to me.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2013, 11:19:50 am »
Our cherries should be no less than 18 at a time. I cant remember all of our pears but we grow a very very sweet novelty pear called a seckel pear. This can sometimes push 21 IIRC. Some of the sweeter apples we grow, like royal gala, can get above 20.

I've never had an apple above 19, and that's only a few times. Do you have a fruit orchard? I think it's cool that you are so into Brix readings.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2013, 12:35:01 pm »
We do. It's not organic but I've really been considering starting a thread to allow any questions about pesticides Etc. My dad has been growing fruit for over 30 years. I've been working with him since I was 12, during summers.

we don't do brix on much other than rainer cherries and golden apples. But I know ours are usually quite high sugar.

Funny thing is. I've heard some things being thrown around here that we use on our fruit; fulvic acid for one.

this is also why I brought up this thread. I was gonna have my dad pull up our soil sample and see our nutrient level. Im sure this forum would be interested.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline jesterhead

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2013, 01:40:22 pm »
Rather, by a lack of touching the soil. We wear shoes and don't touch dirt.
Sounds like a covert argument for grounding.

From "The effect of earthing (grounding) on human physiology" (link):

"Until a few generations ago, most humans walked and slept in direct contact with the surface of the earth. Our modern life style involves wearing insulating shoes and sleeping in buildings that electrically isolate the body from the ground plane.

When humans are in direct contact with the earth (barefoot), free electrons are conducted onto the skin surface and into the body via the mucus membranes of the digestive and respiratory systems. The body is thereby maintained at the same electrical potential as the earth. This has been the natural bioelectrical environment of the human body and of other organisms throughout most of evolutionary history."

Free electrons means free antioxidants. lol. ;D
Weston A. Price on obtaining knowledge from primitive cultures:

"It may be not only our greatest opportunity, but our best hope for stemming the tide of our progressive breakdown and also for our return to harmony with Nature's laws, since life in its fullness is Nature obeyed."

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2013, 02:11:18 pm »
Although I'm interested in grounding and more so barefooting, my intention is solely based on the chemical/mineral aspect.

You may have a point however that because of grounding coupled with a raw diet, a little magnesium absorbed can go a long way.
-Dustin

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2013, 02:28:52 pm »

According to this chart: http://www.honeycreek.us/brix.php , 11 for a redcurrant is at the upper end of average. Nothing to write home about I know, but it's not rediculously low.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2013, 03:01:09 am »
Tested blueberries today: brix value of 10. It seems the only fruit i've tested so far with a decent brix value is gooseberries. The rest are just average. Not surprising I suppose seeing as it is a(n organic) supermarket where I bought them from, the growers are mainly interested in the money. I will get some from a farmers market some time to see how they compare.

Getting back to magnesium...

perhaps water can be a good source. I don't know to what extent minerals in water are absorbed and utilzed by the body. I found one mineral water from Slovenia, called Donat Mg, which contains more than 1000mg of magnesium per litre!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2013, 05:51:42 am »
We do. It's not organic but I've really been considering starting a thread to allow any questions about pesticides Etc. My dad has been growing fruit for over 30 years. I've been working with him since I was 12, during summers.

we don't do brix on much other than rainer cherries and golden apples. But I know ours are usually quite high sugar.

Funny thing is. I've heard some things being thrown around here that we use on our fruit; fulvic acid for one.

this is also why I brought up this thread. I was gonna have my dad pull up our soil sample and see our nutrient level. Im sure this forum would be interested.

That's great. Would you mind giving me a list of the soil supplements that you use? What's the location of your orchard?  What kind of soil do you have?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk