Author Topic: The Butcher  (Read 58547 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: The Butcher
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 05:16:04 am »
Was interviewed by a couch-surfing reporter from Australia the other day. He took a bunch of pictures and recorded about 45 minuets of conversation regarding the Raw Paleo Diet.

He just emailed me back
Hi Derek,

Julian here from Vice Magazine. Thanks for sharing your story with me and letting me take some photos. It was a really interesting night.

So I submitted the story to my editor and he loved it. He wanted to know if you'd be interested it being in a short documentary for our website. I mentioned that you'd done another segment for a TV channel and he wanted to know more about it. So a) would you be interested in another short news piece? And b) what was the show you were on and when was it broadcast? Could you send me the link? And were you contractually bound to them in any way?

Thanks again Derek!

Regards,
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 05:48:05 am »
There are marijuana finished pigs in Oregon or Washington state, I forget, I'll find the article and post it later.  I'd do it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:09:39 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 08:13:24 am »
Holy sheep shit, look what I just found.

The sheep I just butchered is infested with tapeworms, what should I do?
Should I tell the farmer? If I do, they might give them chemical wormers and that may pose a greater risk to the quality of the animal. At least with the worms I know that its paleo quality.

This is the third sheep I got from the farm so I am sure I have already eaten two animals that were also infected. I take no precautions with avoiding the entrails , so I probably have been exposed years ago. It worries me, that I may be infected and not even know, and the worms could be slowly growing and robbing me of my vitality. The only reason I found them is because I was experimenting with washing out the intestines with a hose, and they were flushed out.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:05:09 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 08:42:00 am »
what was the health of the sheep with these worms? do you feel like you lack vitality?
take an herbal wormer if you are worried but if you aren't wasting away or feeling bad I wouldn't worry to much.  take better care to avoid the entrails or at least the poop

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 11:01:32 am »
You might want to go on line and see how it can be transmitted to humans, and in what form,, cysts, or eggs, or segments...   I do think sheep/lambs have more parasites than cows. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 03:07:06 pm »
*sigh*, just take an anti-parasite drug such as praziquantel(?) and you`ll be fine. Tapeworms are anyway rather harmless, it`s only an unaesthetic problem if they come out of your arse in vast amounts, thus complicating the vacating of your bowels.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 12:15:41 am »
I Haven't noticed any worm segments in my stool, though I still don't see how it is possible I don't have a tapeworm infection, having eating dozens of infected animals, I must have picked up a few along the way...

Tyler did you have any other symptoms, besides passing out worm segments? Did the medication cause any side effects?

I have noticed for some time I feel a little lethargic and have issues with loss of appetite, and other vague symptoms of not feeling optimal, but nothing stands out as telltale signs, and even if I do have a parasite, there is no telling exactly what it could be.

Herbal remedies are often noxious and somewhat unreliable, and I don't just want to take a medication until I am sure. Nor do I have the resources or trust in the establishment for reliable medical testing.

I am considering trying diatomaceous earth for about a month and keeping an eye on my stool for eliminated worm segments. Animal worming sites claim that just using a little daily is all that is required to deworm.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:59:17 am by TylerDurden »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 01:43:41 am »
Let us know what happens if you try the diatomaceous earth. 

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 01:53:45 am »
 I ordered some last night, should be in next week.

My girlfriend knows a woman who does high colonics, the women herself has suffered from parisites in the past and has found worms in others while doing procedures; she is a poop expert that can tell by looking at stool samples, if there are other issues such as poor absorption, candida, etc.

So the plan is to take DE daily for a week then get a colonic.

I'll give a report on it in about two week.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 04:34:03 am »
OK.  I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 06:03:00 am »

Tyler did you have any other symptoms, besides passing out worm segments? Did the medication cause any side effects?

No, the medication had absolutely  no side-effects.  The tapeworms gave me an additional very painful pain in the bladder region which made me find it painful to also urinate. That, however, lasted only c.3 days before vanishing, and  tapeworms are well-known to be symptom-free most of the time.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2013, 06:44:54 am »
Years ago when I came back from India with some 'friends' I tried DE,, and then switched over, can't remember the results.  BUT,  I do have reservations about DE.   Under a microscope it appears like broken glass, or so I've read.  If someone doesn't have a thick mucous coating on their intestines, small and large, I am not convinced it doesn't possible get into a fold and cause irritation.  You might try brushing your teeth or really gums with it, and look for abrasion or irritation.  I've read where the tape worm ingests it and it tears up their insides or even crawling around in it can abrade them to death.     And yes,  I too would like to know what you find out.   thanks,  Van

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2013, 09:28:16 am »
Where in the sheep did you find it???

Tapeworms should not be in sheep.  Only cysts.  Adult tapeworm should only be found in carnivores (humans included).

Maybe these are some kind of other worms??

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 09:42:42 am »
Ok, I see it, in the intestines.

These look like Moniezia expansa which has a different life cycle than beef tapeworm.

It appears meat is safe for consumption.  You should not be infected unless meat is contaminated with feces. I would not worry.  I bet you have none of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moniezia_expansa
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:48:05 am by ys »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10:06 am »
 Moniezia expansa seems to be the culprit. The sheep was totally pasture raised and taste wonderful, the liver is about the best I have tasted, so Im not worried about eating the animal. I just wonder if I should bother telling the farmer, I don't want to eat an animal if its just been wormed..

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/Moniezia_expansa/

Which is a relief, because it apparently needs to incubate inside of a dirt mite before it becomes infectious, so even if I was exposed to its eggs, I would not get infected.

I'm going to take D.E for a week and get a colonic anyway. It seems like it would be harmless, and if I dont flush out any worms at least I will have peace of mind and a clean colon.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 10:54:53 am »
I think it is normal for sheep to have those.  I would not tell farmer anything if sheep looks otherwise healthy.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 03:38:26 am »
I was working on sheep's neck and dug out these 2 things.

My guess the small oval is the thyroid.  What about the other one?  They were next to each other.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 05:45:44 am »
The larger gland is the thyroid, its also referred to as sweet breads.

The smaller gland looks like a lymph node

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 05:54:02 am »
Bow season opened up so I got to butcher 4 deer today. I salvaged the femur bones for marrow and some buck fat.
Its feasible for me to start using deer marrow as a primary fat source for the next couple of months.

Im curious about whether to limit how much of the spinal cord and brain I consume?
Kentucky is not on the CWD list, but I still worry.

Also my boss is looking for part time deer season help, so if anyone would be interested in coming to Kentucky to butcher for two weeks?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 07:36:47 am »
Im curious about whether to limit how much of the spinal cord and brain I consume?
Kentucky is not on the CWD list, but I still worry.

I noticed eating a lot of brain a while back that I got diarrhea. I'm sure the quality of the food was fine. But I think the excess cholesterol was to much for me. Brain is very high in cholesterol, even by our standards of eating mainly animal foods. 1 serving of brain (aprox. 4 oz) can have upwards of 800% cholesterol.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:02 am »

I ran off the road the other day if you look closely you can see my passenger in the back seat unharmed.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2013, 08:49:19 am »
is there a better way to skin so that the amount of hair left on carcass is limited?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 09:23:29 am »
A lamb skinner knife works good. Its a small knife with a curved blade.

There are basic a few techniques that will keep the meat clean.
Maybe you tube around for detailed instruction

keep a bucket of hot water and use it to wipe away dirt and hair on an as needed basis

The chest of the sheep are difficult to skin you kind of just have to carve it away from the breastplate.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2013, 09:48:33 am »
sabertooth, did the tow truck driver say anything about your passenger?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2013, 05:16:27 am »
No. I called the guy who sold me the sheep and he pulled me out with his truck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk