Author Topic: The Butcher  (Read 58518 times)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: The Butcher
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2013, 09:54:50 am »
yeah, good luck.  How about going out on your own?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2013, 10:01:28 am »
It's interesting that German reporters are interested in you. Do you have any idea why it would turn out to be Germans vs. others? I know Germany has a long history of interest in special diets like vegetarianism and natural living. I wonder if it might be more than just coincidence.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2013, 10:34:57 am »

It's interesting that German reporters are interested in you. Do you have any idea why it would turn out to be Germans vs. others? I know Germany has a long history of interest in special diets like vegetarianism and natural living. I wonder if it might be more than just coincidence.

Well Phil, its a convoluted story. The network RTL is under constant pressure to produce interesting story's that have an edge, and there are some characters within the network who want to push the limits of what they are allowed to show. They did a report on vampires a while back, and the higher ups tried to censor the drinking of human blood on camera.

So when the producer saw my bloody teeth in the vice article, she got the idea that animal blood would be acceptable, and since a Raw meat eater story has yet to be covered, they decided to go with it.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2013, 11:01:37 am »
Good luck getting the new job, Saber. 

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2013, 01:49:58 pm »
I just got delivery of 220lb fore and hind quarters from Amish farms.  I paid $3.6/lb.

I think it was a little too young.  Not a lot of fat.  Unfortunately I have no space to hang it long term so I have to freeze it.  I took out as much as I can fit in my fridge to dry and the rest will go into freezer.

It took me about 1h - 1.25h to chop it up like this.  I'm getting a little faster every time.  The hardest part is memorizing location and position of the joints.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2013, 09:50:31 am »
I participated in the butchering of 1200 birds, 50 hogs, 50 sheep, and 30 cows in three days. The butcher is back in business

This is where I need to be for sure. The plant is USDA inspected and I've spent the last two days with the inspector learning how to trim out the animals before putting them into the cooler. She has 20 years experience, is very meticulous and skilled at what she does. She has seen it all and now she is training me on what to look for as markers of health in the animals.

She doesn't know about my diet at all and when I was trimming out a lamb she ask me if I ever tried any. "Sure I like lamb" I said.

Then she said to me and I quote
"I have even eaten it Raw".

If that isn't a sign from above.......................
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:02:07 am by sabertooth »

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2013, 11:44:33 am »
What do they do with organs?

USDA butcher let me take only liver, kidney, heart, and tongue.   And he put his stupid stamp on liver and heart, i had to cut stamped area out.
Did not allow me to take anything else, no lungs, no spleen, no head, nothing else.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2013, 04:14:17 pm »
Oh man ST.... priceless...! Please tell us, if you have time, what are the markers of health in an animal to look after! We have lambs too, slaughter them our self (my brothers do it) and chickens and I really have not much knowledge about these things.

I sometimes find weird stuff in the raw beef fat I eat... like some cysts? I wonder if they are not good to eat. I think I ate one tiny piece of something in my fat yesterday that tasted a bit weird.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2013, 04:41:09 pm »
I sometimes find weird stuff in the raw beef fat I eat... like some cysts? I wonder if they are not good to eat. I think I ate one tiny piece of something in my fat yesterday that tasted a bit weird.

I also sometimes see these cyst-like things in my beef fat. I am also not sure what they are. However, I noticed that in lamb legs there is always one in the same place every time, surrounded by fat. So I guess that particular one is not an abnormality. Maybe it is a gland of some sort, or a lymph node, I really don't know.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2013, 10:24:07 pm »
I also think they are lymph nodes.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2013, 05:41:44 am »
I've seen the same thing in my beef fat. It's red, and circular. I always thought it was an artery or something. The ducks in my area love the stuff. When I have parts of the beef fat I don't want I throw it out to them.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2013, 05:26:23 am »
What do they do with organs?

USDA butcher let me take only liver, kidney, heart, and tongue.   And he put his stupid stamp on liver and heart, i had to cut stamped area out.
Did not allow me to take anything else, no lungs, no spleen, no head, nothing else.

They keep the liver, tongue kidney, and hearts, and throw everything else out into the scrap barrels, to be rendered into dog food, cosmetics, ect.

The nodules embedded in the fat are lymph nodes, at least that's what the inspector told me they were.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2013, 05:36:43 am »
New question?

I went into the whole foods today and one of the managers recognized me from the article and told me how they would soon have an opening for a meat cutter. The whole store knows who I am, having been a regular for some time I have made friends with some of the people there. It would be a good work environment, and they offer meat cutters 14 dollars an hour.

I am only making 9 where I am at now, and would only be likely to get up to 11 per hour for the first year. The work is also extremely demanding and physically hard labor for relatively low pay.

The problem is I would like to learn more at the plant before moving on. I have the opportunity to become an expert slaughterer, inspector, and meat cutter where I am at now, but If I stay,  I may miss out on the opportunity to make a living wage at a much better job.

Should I stay or should I go? 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2013, 06:02:35 am »
Go, money is everything, sadly.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2013, 07:12:43 am »
I worked for whole foods for 5 years.  You do make good money, but the corporate shenanigans that go on behind the scenes were pretty intense and way too much for me to handle.

It really depends on who you work with though.  A lot of people really make working at WF their whole lives, many relationships and high school hierarchical type antics, but your store and department may be a little different then that.  You make the most profit share in the meat department, you could easily make more then $14 an hour, plus they offer some really good health bene's that you may be able to use for things like massage. 

I don't know, I'd stay with the local guys and just work up to a better paying job and forgo having to delve into the anus of big corperations.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:34:33 am by jessica »

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2013, 09:25:16 am »
...and forgo having to delve into the anus of big corperations.

I love that statement. I think that's worthy of becoming a T-shirt... Sorry to sidetrack the thread.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2013, 11:18:31 am »
You can always work a side job for extra money, Saber.  If you like the people you are working with, and you are getting valuable work experience, I'd stay there.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2013, 09:45:11 pm »
Opps yeah, I forgot to add that I really think you should stay where you can get the best education.  That way, if things were to pan out and you had your own farm, perhaps you could also do the butchering yourself.  Just think of the experience as added value.  The only thing you will learn at WFM is customer service, how to negotiate the corporate sphere, and truly how easy it is to become complacent when you think you are being well compensated.   

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2013, 05:29:28 am »

I don't know, I'd stay with the local guys and just work up to a better paying job and forgo having to delve into the anus of big corporations.

I just delved into the anus of 2000 chickens and 100 turkeys, using an ass vac to detach the rectum. A valuable experience indeed.

There is so much to consider when making this decision.

I have this desire to learn everything about the meat business, so that one day I may be able to run my own business, supplying the skyrocketing demand for paleo quality food.

I desperately need a higher paying job right now, so I am tempted to take the job at whole foods, and put away my dreams for more money today.
Though I can see how the corporate work environment can be a trap that will prevent me from personal growth. Not to mention with all those troublesome Whole foods Girls around I might get caught up in some kind of drama.

I can stay where I am at and do some side work on my own, but then I will have very little personal time or freedom?

Damn this is a tough decision.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2013, 06:57:24 am »
My guess is that you're a hard worker, that you deliver on what they pay you and more.  Have you thought about simply asking for what you want where you're at?    Chances are your boss couldn't replace you or the level of work that you offer them.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2013, 08:53:22 pm »
I just delved into the anus of 2000 chickens and 100 turkeys, using an ass vac to detach the rectum. A valuable experience indeed.

haha, all in one day? those butt sucking machines must really make the process go quickly.  do you use one of those defeathering machines as well?  it took about 6 hours to clean 6 chickens and two turkeys by dunking them in hot water and then defeathering by hand as well as cleaning by hand.  we also collected a ton of the feathers for use for some native American ceremonial garb so it was kind of more tedious.

do you think that you might just take some time to make the decision?  i would be hesitant to jump right into the whole foods thing, like i said, the wage is just what makes you complacent with not really educating yourself of becoming self sustaining.  always know that there will be many more opportunities, just think of all the change you have experienced recently!  saying yes or no is never a permanent finalization on opportunities.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2013, 10:35:13 pm »
Saber, could you work part-time at Whole Foods, just to make a little extra cash?  You could always go full-time later.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2013, 12:49:08 am »
it took about 6 hours to clean 6 chickens and two turkeys by dunking them in hot water and then defeathering by hand as well as cleaning by hand. 
To eat them raw, we don't do it that way : we skin them off and the feathers come out along with the skin.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2013, 05:20:46 am »
To eat them raw, we don't do it that way : we skin them off and the feathers come out along with the skin.

unfortunately my work and life aren't exactly congruent.  but I do get free raw organs.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2013, 06:13:43 am »
Check out this chicken plucking machine.

The Chicken Plucker Machine
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk