Author Topic: Washing teeth _!?  (Read 4914 times)

Offline domingez

• Forager
    • View Profile
Washing teeth _!?
« on: January 02, 2009, 11:18:00 pm »
OK,doing healthy,feeling great to the moment when i wash my teeth.How to avoid those chemicals from toothpaste,is there any acceptable alternative?maybe washing my teeth with cooking soda?
thanks for any advice
 ;)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Washing teeth _!?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:56:12 am »
Well, there's fluoride-free toothpaste. Baking soda is also used by some. Others use soap(not too tasty!), floss their teeth etc.

When cleaning teeth, I use a mouthwash full of chemicals as well as fluroide-free toothpaste. Not in line with raw principles, admittedly, but we all have to compromise in certain areas.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Waungata

• Trapper
  • Neander Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:37:34 pm »
I asked this in the Primal Diet section too: http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/primal-diet/brushing-teeth-primal-style/

I've tried using only baking soda by itself, it doesn't last. It causes salivation and gets spit out too soon. Using butter or maybe coconut oil, along with it, will keep it from disolving and really does make a difference.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:18:05 am »
I don't use toothpaste. I just brush with water. I clean my toothbrush every week. I soak it in very very salty water overnight. I brush usually once a day, before I go to bed.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:33:37 am »
I use a brand of toothpaste called "Auromere" that I get from my local hfs. It's supposedly an Ayurvedic recipe, no fluoride or any of that. Here's a link to their site http://www.auromere.com/natural_toothpaste.html I use the mint flavor and it tastes good and seems to do the same thing "regular" toothpaste does, which is to make my mouth feel clean for a while, freshen my breath, etc.

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 05:03:30 pm »
I'm bad about staying paleo at this time, so I usually just use regular toothpaste.

But, my preference is baking soda whether I'm using toothpaste or not. I like to use it with the toothpaste. It's mildly abrasive and neutralizes acids. I find my mouth feels a LOT cleaner and stays feeling clean for longer if I use it. Tastes like crap, but that's okay. I don't use much water when brushing with it, except for when rinsing.

I've also considered adding peppermint essential oil to it when I get some. I believe that's antibacterial, as most essential oils are, far as I know.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline Mincene

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 10:00:43 pm »
There are also natural toothpastes, for myself I prefer Weleda.

Offline TheWayCreatesTheWarrior

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • WhereHaveTheBuffaloGone
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:27:13 pm »

i use Baking Soda with a little Celtic Sea Salt.
i use this with a spray of about 5% H2O2.
There can be no mercy in the heart, of the heart, of the Wolf.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk