Author Topic: Fermented beef liver oil  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Fermented beef liver oil
« on: September 08, 2013, 02:17:52 am »
I turn a fair amount of liver into 'high' meat, and eat a piece or two a day as a probiotic. I started a batch on June 7 that I checked lately (still eating off the batch I started in early May), and a layer of oil had formed on top of the liver that tasted vaguely like the fermented cod liver oil I'd bought from Green Pastures some years back, only without that biting fishy taste. Did I make a batch of fermented beef liver oil?

Anyone have any experience with this happening?

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Fermented beef liver oil
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:46:32 am »
Yes I prefer high liver to high muscle meat. So I keep making it and my jar is nice and green with the dark rich colored liver oil on top. Its good stuff. Recently my supplier is low on liver so I've added ground beef, very lean, and it now has a fizz to it like soda.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 04:58:39 am »
I turn a fair amount of liver into 'high' meat, and eat a piece or two a day as a probiotic. I started a batch on June 7 that I checked lately (still eating off the batch I started in early May), and a layer of oil had formed on top of the liver that tasted vaguely like the fermented cod liver oil I'd bought from Green Pastures some years back, only without that biting fishy taste. Did I make a batch of fermented beef liver oil?

Anyone have any experience with this happening?

A while back, I wrote to Green Pastures asking about what they meant by "fermented," and they replied that they make their FCLO by fermenting the cod livers and then gathering the oil that separates out of the fermented flesh. So, I'd say you made FMLO.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:28:34 am »
Fascinating.  I've fermented liver before, but never in a container where the oil could rise to the top.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:08 pm »
What sort of container did you use that would prevent the oil from rising to the top?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:18:08 pm »
What sort of container did you use that would prevent the oil from rising to the top?

Actually, it was just a large plastic bag, and it wasn't really intentional.  The liver blood/fluids fermented into alcohol. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk