Author Topic: Frozen Herring Fish Block of 20 kg ... How to take Fish out of it for daily use?  (Read 4201 times)

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
I am offered a frozen block of 20 kg Herring Filet.

I have yet not bought it while I don't know how I am going to get small amount of fish out of it for daily use.

Any tips?

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Since it has already been frozen, you could separate it into several cellophane packets and store the ones you do not need for the day into the freezer and leave out those you are going to eat.

When you feel like eating it,  just take a packet out of the freezer and allow to defrost..

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Since it has already been frozen, you could separate it into several cellophane packets and store the ones you do not need for the day into the freezer and leave out those you are going to eat.

When you feel like eating it,  just take a packet out of the freezer and allow to defrost..

Thanks.

Could you please tell me  how to separate/break this block into small pieces? Should I thaw it first? Or should I use an axe or something like that?

Or is it possible to thaw it half way so that fish can be separted and then once again freezing it in small bags?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:22:19 pm by zaidi »

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Or is it possible to thaw it half way so that fish can be separted and then once again freezing it in small bags?
That s the way!  ;)

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Or should I use an axe or something like that?
Haha, you could try and have some fun with it!
 :)

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Are you sure of the quality and freshness of the fish?
Are you getting it for free or discounted price?

Be careful.

Offline zaidi

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Are you sure of the quality and freshness of the fish?
Are you getting it for free or discounted price?

Be careful.

Quality is A1 , and it is really cheap too. They are filleted and frozen on the ship (if I am not mistaken).

In Germany, they make pickled Herring (named: Matjes). Hering Filet have minimum of 16% fat. Unfortunately, they put 10-12% salt in it, which makes it impossible to eat alone (mostly it is eaten with bread and onions).

Hering and Mackerel are the fishes which gave me a lot of relief from pain and I am 100% sure that they do magic for me.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Band saw would be ideal to cut it into smaller blocks.  Not sure how useful hacksaw would be.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
It should be noted that most fish connesiuers (not health nuts, people only interested in cuinary aspects) will tell you frozen fish is not up to standard, whether or not this effects the health giving properties is another question but I think it does.

My friend who is a 5 star chef also refuses to serve frozen meat out of strictly culinary reasons and says that no self respecting high end chef would ever do such a thing.
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk