Author Topic: Ideal pot to use for making tea on the stove  (Read 6016 times)

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Ideal pot to use for making tea on the stove
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:36:36 am »
was looking to make large batches of pau d'arco tea, and to make this it requires the tea leaves to be boiled for around ~20 minutes. i have a large pot from t-fal which has a nonstick interior. is it recommended to use it for this purpose, or will toxins be released into the tea?

i wasn't sure if the issue of the nonstick surface coming off and adding toxins to the tea was only an issue if you were cooking foods and had accidentally scraped off some of the nonstick coating into the food, as sometimes happens when using a spatula.

if not, what would you recommend as the safest type of pot to use for making tea on the stove? stainless steel?

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal pot to use for making tea on the stove
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:01:09 am »
I think there are so many types of stainless that some are better than others. 440 is usually used as food grade but idk if that's truly best.

Completely ideal would be glass or ceramic. Those do not leak toxins. Maybe put water in the oven in one of those containers since stovetop causes them to explode.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 04:05:18 am »
Definitely get rid of the nonstick.  Stainless steel is made with steel, nickel and cadium, which does leech into the water in small amounts.  I have read that anodized Aluminum does not leach but I am weary of anything Aluminum.  Ceramic is hard fired clay so it would seem a more natural but then you have to be weary of what manufacturers use to make the clay and make sure its lead free..  I think that would be the safest bet, but I use stainless steel as I only have one pot and that's what I got, lol.

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 04:41:23 am »
thanks for the info.
i'm also weary of aluminum based on what i've read so i think i'll stick to stainless steel.

was looking at the ones from t-fal - is stainless steel with a copper bottom okay?
the one i'm looking at states "Pots are made with a copper bottom, allowing for a more even cooking experience."

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:19:11 am »
How about borosilicate glass? I have a borosilicate teakettle (manufacturer: Medelco) that could be used to boil things for 20 minutes, and there are probably cooking pots made of that material, too. although it is usually made into baking dishes.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 05:28:20 am »
the ones made from borosilicate glass that i'm seeing are kettles that can be used on the stove, but none are large enough for the quantity of water i need it to hold, which is 3-4 liters.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:34:51 pm »
 -\ This is moved to the "Off topic" section, the name of this forum being "RAW PALEO".
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:20:42 pm »
lol, Iguana.  Thank you for being tolerant of those of use who use fire to make hot water and put leaves and twigs in it.

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 02:48:13 am »
I was thinking of buying a teapot from this company http://www.ceramcor.com/

Mercola sells it on his site, but you can buy it directly from the company. If I get it, I'll post my opinion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk