Author Topic: Fukushima and California  (Read 30390 times)

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Fukushima and California
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2014, 10:08:05 am »
I wasn't trying to be complete in that particular post, just making the point that diet isn't everything, and in fact is probably a minority. I would certainly agree that posture is important.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Diet isn't everything
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2014, 03:49:24 pm »
Of course: diet is only about diet… Having the best diet possible doesn’t prevent us either to seek the best environmental conditions or to have as much physical exercise as possible.

I was thinking about that some days ago after reading a discussion on this forum about how important diet is for health, in percentile. 10% according to a certain Dr. Jack Kruse, rather perhaps 50% according to GS. Well... how important for the lifespan of a car, in %, is the quality of the fuel we fill in this car tank? Is it 10% or 90%? What about air filter changes, oil quality and grade, span between oil changes, kind of roads driven, competence, skill and habits of the driver?

No way to tell any percentile: it depends. All the factors are important, like a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

… Suppress the nuisances and the body will tend to self heal — a kind of homeostasis. Cooked food is a nuisance, as atmospheric pollution, sedentary life, bad social conditions, etc. are.

We should split that topic from Fukushima's if we keep on talking about that!
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2014, 05:22:42 am »
Fukushima Radiation Approaching U.S. West Coast

There is currently no U.S. or international plan to manage or monitor the advancing radioactive water.

"We've received a lot of interest from the public so far, which has been great. Right now we're gathering important baseline data, but we need continual support in order to monitor the plume over the long-term," WHOI marine chemist Ken Buesseler, said in the news release.

Buesseler said he does not expect the levels to be dangerously high in the water or even seafood as the contamination spreads, but he stressed monitoring was crucial in case these predications turn out to be false.

"We need to know the actual levels of radiation coming at us," community activist Bing Gong, said in the news release. "There's so much disinformation out there. We really need actual data."

Gong has raised enough money in Point Reyes, Calif. to sample the local water four times over the course of the year.

"My motivation was concern over fear-mongering on the Internet about allegedly high levels of Fukushima radiation in the coastal waters of California. I am a radiation oncologist, more familiar than most with radioactivity, and it seemed highly likely that the vast dilution of radioisotopes from Fukushima by the Pacific Ocean would result in a barely (if at all) measurable rise in counts," Doctor Roger Gilbert, a radiation oncologist in Mendocino, Calif. who also raised money for the cause, said in the news release.

The samples Buesseler has taken so far have been determined to be negative for new cesium-134 (an isotope released by the disaster) contamination.

"The reason why we see such low levels of radiation in these samples is because the plume is not here yet. But it's coming. And we'll actually be able to see its arrival," Buesseler said. "That baseline data is critical."

Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Thoth

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2014, 10:18:06 pm »
Do the jokers on this board still think fukushima's radiation (not to mention hanford and wipp lololololol) isnt frying the pacific and and the west coast?

Denile is in Egypt, but denial is plaguing you!

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2014, 11:10:01 pm »
Have you read the last post or are you just being a troll?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2014, 12:15:06 pm »
The main reason I keep eating this way is so I don't have to worry so much about the toxins, injuries, stresses, and other problems that can damage my health.  Radiation is one of those potential problems, and I believe this diet is at least a little protective against it.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2014, 10:06:53 pm »
But its so warm over here!  I am not worried, I don't think I am going to be able to outrun all pollution on the planet.  living a life trying to escape death is futile.

If I happen to be in a place where it is concentrated for the time being I also think diet, lifestyle and spirit can trump the negative effects, at least for now.  Especially living in a place devoid of so many other pollutants and people. 

There is so much info on how effective microorganisms can mitigate radiation, roll in dirt and compost, eat properly aged foods, feed your gut biome. trust the sun and the water.  might not be perfect but nowhere and nothing is.

Offline juvegede

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2014, 08:52:24 pm »
Have you read the last post or are you just being a troll?

what post ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk