Author Topic: How to stomach down organs?  (Read 7725 times)

JaX

How to stomach down organs?
« on: December 11, 2008, 02:11:46 am »
I've just begun to eat organs and I want to know how you guys got used to them.

I've tried experimenting with kidney, stomach and heart. And all I can say is, I don't like the taste at all. Kidney is the worste.. I usually gag while I try to chew it and so I have to cut it in small pieces and swallow with water, but even then it makes me gag eventually.

I can eat heart, but far from an amount that can actually fill me for a meal, I can usually only eat a couple of small pieces.. It has a rather pointless taste if you ask me. Whenever I try with organs, I end up eating some muscle meat anyway, because it really brings me no satisfaction to eat only organ for a meal.

Maybe it's something that takes some getting used-to? How long did it take you guys to get used to the taste of organs and how did you do it? Which organs did you start with? Did you start with the cooked version of an organ and then move to raw?

I've thought about taking some organs and blending them, maybe adding some raw sweetener and then just drink it all. Is this a good/bad idea?

Oh and one last thing: quantity wise, how does your organ consumption compare to muscle meat. Do you eat like 90% muscle meat / 10% organ (if taken from he quantity you eat overall)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How to stomach down organs?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 02:23:03 am »
Well, the taste wasn't so hard to get used to for me. The texture of it. Or a combination of them both.... I have eaten cooked liver before, so it was mostly the texture.

I currently only have tried liver out of raw animal organs.

Try mixing them with muscle meat. Or mixing the juices in with muscle meat. Then slowly add more to the mix as you get familiar with the taste.

As for quantity of meat and organs. Well, imagine if you kill an animal. I think about 80 to 95% will be organs. Depending on the animal.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 02:24:30 am »
I started out with raw liver... didn't start cooked, just ate it raw. I had never had liver before, not even cooked.
I quite frankly thought it was gross at first, but I knew it was good for me so I just manned up I guess. I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Now it's no big thing to eat it.

That was the first organ I had, and since liver has the strongest flavor out of any organ (to me at least) I think it helped with the others.

Interesting that you hate kidney the most... even from the first time I had kidney I thought it was delicious. Same with heart, I love to eat heart.

Who knows, some people probably just get used to things quicker than others.

as far as my consumption of muscle to organs go, it's probably 99% muscle meat... but that's only because I've been lazy with my organs lately. Ideally I'd be eating more organs, and I should start eating more again.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:18:47 pm »
I started with liver which was challenging at first but now palatable. One time I even had some chicken livers that tasted good. Most of it imo is getting used to it, no matter which organ you start with you'll have to get used to taste, texture and smell and if you have it a few times you'll start to get used to it and the "gross factor" will fade. Looking back I used to have the "gross factor" with raw muscle, and now that is good to me. I had kidney a few weeks ago and that was hard for me, it smelled and tasted like sharp urine. Heart is almost like muscle (since it is a muscle) and liver is the most "normal" organ that "regular people" eat. They all have their advantages to start with.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:14:34 pm »
I only eat organs once per week.
I eat organs that I like the taste of.
In my area, the organs I've tried where I like the taste are:
goat liver, goat kidney, beef liver, beef pancreas, chicken livers.

If I think an organ or any raw animal food or any food tastes bad, I do not eat it.

I have thrown away goat livers or chicken livers simply because they taste bad.  I think the animal was unhealthy to begin with.

It's a natural hygiene thing... if it tastes bad... its not for me.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

JaX

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 03:51:22 am »
If I think an organ or any raw animal food or any food tastes bad, I do not eat it.

I have thrown away goat livers or chicken livers simply because they taste bad.  I think the animal was unhealthy to begin with.

It's a natural hygiene thing... if it tastes bad... its not for me.

The problem is, to me it feels like almost all organs taste bad, especially kidney and liver, which should be the most nutritious ones. I've tried from different organic animals, but my taste buds seem to have the same reaction to it. Even when I was a kid I hated cooked organs and almost never ate any. But I want the ability to eat it, though, so if I were to follow the theory that you shouldn't eat it if it doesn't taste good, I'd never get used to eat any organ!

The only form of organ that I actually enjoyed (cooked, though) was pate (chopped pork, beef or duck liver with mixed spices and wheat). Does anyone know for a way to stimulate the taste of that, with a raw version? Like maybe blending some organ with some spices?

Maybe a good way to get myself used to organs is to chop them up finely and swallow like medicine at first? Or starve myself so I'll eat anything? lol

boxcarguy I just don't get how you actually like kidney..! To me its just the most horrible tasting thing ever.. goes to show how different people are.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 04:01:38 am »
It really helps if you've eaten raw meats in your childhood, or if you've eaten cooked organ-meats in those days. That sets a habit for the future. In my own case, I used to eat tons of smoked tongue, as well as cooked-liver and kidney(I hate the liver, loved the kidney). Result was that when I went rawpalaeo, most organs were easy for me to handle, with raw liver taking the longest to get used to. Switching to widely different animals, also eating livers from wild animals, made all the difference.

Even if you hate organs, now, you should consider taking a pill a day of Dr Ron's multi-organ supplement - in the meantime, your taste-buds will change over time, and people usually claim that it takes c.8 to 12 months to become 90%+ used to most things raw.

http://www.drrons.com/

It's expensive bottle for bottle, but 1 pill a day means you use up only 2 bottles of it a year, so it's worth it.

It's a good idea to use blenders/food-processors for things like raw liver - many newbies recommend them and mix them together with all sorts of ghastly concoctions which they seem to love the taste of.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Kristelle

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 04:05:46 am »
I always enjoyed organ-meats very much. Kidney, tongue and brain were a treat when I was younger. I even liked liver. These, I like raw or cooked. Don't matter.

The organs I don't really like are thymus and heart. Never had them when I was a kid either.

JaX

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 03:54:32 am »
It really helps if you've eaten raw meats in your childhood, or if you've eaten cooked organ-meats in those days. That sets a habit for the future. In my own case, I used to eat tons of smoked tongue, as well as cooked-liver and kidney(I hate the liver, loved the kidney). Result was that when I went rawpalaeo, most organs were easy for me to handle, with raw liver taking the longest to get used to. Switching to widely different animals, also eating livers from wild animals, made all the difference.

Even if you hate organs, now, you should consider taking a pill a day of Dr Ron's multi-organ supplement - in the meantime, your taste-buds will change over time, and people usually claim that it takes c.8 to 12 months to become 90%+ used to most things raw.

http://www.drrons.com/

It's expensive bottle for bottle, but 1 pill a day means you use up only 2 bottles of it a year, so it's worth it.

It's a good idea to use blenders/food-processors for things like raw liver - many newbies recommend them and mix them together with all sorts of ghastly concoctions which they seem to love the taste of.

8-12 months? It took me just a week or two to get used to raw muscle meats..! I hoped organs would be as fast, but I can't tell how long it will take, yet. The only organ I have gotten half used to so far is heart, which I 2 days ago found to have a bad taste, but as I ate it today it had a rather neutral taste. 

Tyler you seem to eat a lot of organ meats compared to muscle meats, is this true? Do you think its better to eat at least a certain % of total meats in organ?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 08:41:59 pm »
I think it's a good idea to eat parts from all over the body. Unfortunately, in our over-regulated modern environment, it's very, very difficult to find unusual organs like eyeballs(unless you buy fish).

Lex recommends 10% of one's animal-food-intake in the form of raw organs. Since hunter-gatherers routinely prefer the organs over the muscle-meats(often eating them raw), I think it's reasonable to increase that percentage to 20-40%. Also, many organs have high-quality fats(eg:- tongue and marrow, suet is 2nd-rate, IMO, but it's OK).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Waungata

• Trapper
  • Neander Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 11:03:53 pm »
After some time, it really does taste better, even appetizing.  I could barely eat Slanker's dog & cat raw, let alone cooked. Raw liver would make me gag. No more! I actually like the taste of them now. I have to sneak them down rather than stomach them down now.

Don't eat too much organ meat though. You could get a fat-soluble vitamin toxicity. I'd go with the 10% recommended until you get a feel and hankering for them, which will come with time.

coconinoz

raw pork liver
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 12:41:07 am »

to me, slanker's pork liver, which i had for the 1st time yesterday -- totally raw, knife minced, & warmed up in the mouth while chewing -- tastes better than candy

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 10:54:53 pm »
Ya it seems the best way to eat organs is to eat small amounts and eventually you will begin to lose your dislike of them and begin to gain an appreciation.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 01:12:09 am »
I know what you mean by kidneys being strong. I have the slankers dog and cat food mix. Its pretty strong, the taste I'm not familiar with is most likely the kidneys since I have never had kidneys cooked or raw.

Kidneys filter urine?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:14:53 am by Sully »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 08:40:37 am »
Yes kidneys filter urine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk