Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 3332 times)

Offline SharpPointyStickGuy

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hi all
« on: January 21, 2009, 02:12:54 am »
Hey, I just found this forum while researching some paleodiet stuff.

I've been about 95% vegan for a year now - I chose to do so because of the health benefits as opposed "moral" issues. (The other 5% has been when I've had meat or fish or eggs - but I've pretty much dropped dairy completely). I've been doing pretty good on it I guess - but I just haven't felt my best after eating meals with large amounts of grain (bread, rice) or beans. I try to keep my protein up as I enjoy going to the gym and would like to put on some muscle. I've also experimented with the 80-10-10 raw vegan thing (mostly fruit, some greens) but could never make it last more than a week.

Way back years ago I tried the paleodiet as described in Cordain's book. But I didn't last more than a week then either. I think the 2 main reasons were 1) I was coming straight off of a "standard" America diet (SAD) and started craving sugar and rice and bread and 2) I removed the starchy carbs (rice, bread) from my meals, but didn't increase the meat or veggies and so ended up not eating enough calories.

Since then I've slowly changed my diet to something much more healthy. Before going vegan I had already cut out all junk food and just about all processed food.

So... I'm looking into the paleo thing again (I'm not totally convinced the vegan thing is the way to go - it's healthy, and it certainly friendly to animals and the environment in this day and age, but I don't think it's really the ideal that so many vegans, and especially 811ers, make it out to be) and was checking to see if there's anything new since I last tried it. And there is... this forum.

But I don't recognize these different types: Omni raw, Wai, Instincto... Is there somewhere I can get a quick overview? I thought maybe there would be a sticky at the top of each section explaining what it is or at least where to find more info (links, books, etc.)

Is the zero card approach really ZERO carbs?? No fruit or veggies?

It seems like there are quite a few others on here with experience with veganism and/or 811 - I find that quite interesting in and of itself.

Thanks!
Greg

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:55:10 pm »
Zero carb doesn't exist as there are  carbs in some animal foods, especially liver, oysters mussels etc. and traces of glycogen in muscle-meats etc. Even the zero-carbers seem to mention occasionally breaking their regime by an occasional rare eating of fruit etc. at social occasions.

Re stickies:- Yes, describing the different types of diets is important and such a mention should be put on the rawpaleodiet.com website and here as well.

Have a look at the child boards on the general discussion forum(re toxins in cooked foods threads etc.) They provide useful info for newbies.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:10:38 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:10:33 am »
  for a fairly intact description of zero carb look up ' zeroing in on health'  Charles runs it.  Pretty interesting.  Yes, there are some carbs in meat etc, but what they are talking about is less than five carbs per day, and thus reducing insulin levels substantially.  Worth looking into.  I am trying it for some time now. 

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:52:25 am »
Hey Greg, you're right about past dietary experiences. Most people on diets like this have tried at least a couple of others. I fit the common background of vegetarian-vegan-raw vegan-raw omni-primal-raw paleo. Also thrown in there are flirts with cooked paleo diets and even a few Weston inspired ideas. There certainly is a lot out there to think about.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 02:03:33 pm »
If your looking to bulk up, lots of fatty beef is a great way to go.  It's a superb muscle building food as it contains plenty of fat and cholesterol necessary for formation of cellular structures and horomones, and of couse all the protein.  If you supplement occasionally with liver, you will have all the a and b vitamins which have been shown to increase the rate of muscle building.  Also live has iron, zinc, and other trace minerals which enhance the production of testosterone and growth horomone.

You can try eating alot of eggs or fish, but (for me) they aren't nearly as effective as fatty meat from heavy animals (although I still eat 4-6 eggs per day).  Also, I thought the taste of raw or very rare beef was easiest of all raw meat to get used to. 

Good to have you here.  Good luck. 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk