Author Topic: Once upon a time  (Read 3751 times)

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Once upon a time
« on: December 29, 2013, 10:59:59 am »
Once upon a time,
I ate cooked meat. I hated it, and I wondered why I had to cook it. It was dry and powdery. Even grass fed meat seemed to give me acne, but I knew I needed meat. I craved meat. I even tried frozen veal liver. I hated the texture of the cooked liver, yet my body craved liver.

I would often bring grass fed meat from whole foods, and they would smell so fresh and sweet. It was sad that I couldn't just eat it raw (or can I?).
As I prepared the pots and turned on the stove, I would sadly look at the sweet, bright red slabs and think, "I didn't pay $10 just so I can turn that into leather.."

I researched more, and eventually found the idea of eating raw meat appealing. However, despite thinking about my persistant health issues, I never got the push towards raw meat.

However, looking at the beautiful Inger (and reading about her transformation on Jack Kruse), I gave raw meat more thought. A few minutes later, I watched the TLC Freaky Eater's Raw Meat guy, who looked incredible. I concluded that if the guy from the show can eat even the cheapest cuts of meat from CAFO factories (which sounded like eternal diarrhea right there), then grass-fed meat must be a non-issue.
I know this is shallow but hey, beauty is a signal of health: these raw meat people are hot so they must be doing something right. I am sold!

During the holidays, I was like screw it and ate raw lamb instead of cooking it. It was like warm sashimi in my mouth. I didn't feel sick nor die, so I continued little by little.
Today, I tried fresh raw liver as well. The texture was smooth and the mouthfeel felt nice. Chewing on the liver felt weird but I can get used to it. It even tasted good, savory and sweet even though there's that hint of odor (like when you drive across the countryside). But it's okay.
My body's craving for the formerly wretched liver was answered.

So here I am.
I am struggling with:
PCOS - Endometriosis - Rheumatoid Arthritis - Candida - Acne - PTSD
Funny how if you have one, you tend to have many other illnesses.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Once upon a time
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:04:52 pm »
Yeah, those first few bites are a doozy, eh? Welcome to the rabbit hole...

Aside from growing amounts of raw muscle meat and the occasional mouthful of liver, what other foods do you eat? Have you read Catharine Shanahan's book Deep Nutrition, by chance? If not, I recommend it.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:14:53 pm »
What is your diet like now-a-days cavebiatch?

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 02:42:11 am »
I was at my parents' house when I ate my first sliver of raw meat (the lamb), so I wasn't able to eat raw until yesterday (after I arrived to my own home). I JUST started so I still have to find my sources.
I got beef shank w/ bone marrow, liver, and shoulder roast at Whole foods. The farmer's market sells offals but they're frozen beforehand and I don't know how I'll do with thawed offals.

I eat my raw meat with organic kimchi and sauerkraut for the flavor and probiotic value. I also eat raw butter, raw goat cheese, pasteurized goat yogurt, herbal teas, homemade gelatin snacks (low carb with raw honey). I am hoping to continue eating pastured bacon (the only meat I like cooked) and I already have beef stock boiling on the stove (no choice, the bones were beginning to smell sweet/sour similar to old coconut water so I had to boil it)

For me it's less about avoiding cooked foods and more about including large amount of raw animal produce. At least for now. Who knows, maybe I'll ditch cooked meat altogether later. I already would like to do that now, I am just boiling the broth out of no choice. I'll probably just use it as a supplement for when I run out of raw meat.

Also is it normal for my stomach to feel a bit sore, like a slight heartburn, after eating raw meat? Is it just my gut getting used to it or something? It's really the only symptom I have.

Also what's up with the fear of parasites? Are they really that bad? Weren't they already found in nature and we co-evolved with them anyway? People are more than willing to feed their kids plastics, synthetic sugary foods, and pesticides but they get their panties in a knot over natural parasites... I guess it's because parasites aren't cute. smh

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:54:06 am »
Might be that eating kimchi/sauerkraut at the same time as meat is causing a stomach ache. 

Try slicing the roast thin and then letting it sit in the open air, either on a rack  or on a plate, making sure to flip it once a day or so and wipe up any extra juice before returning it to the plate.  You can do this on the counter or in the fridge.  It should start to dry out a bit and will become much more tender and digestable if you are doing it right.  The flavor should also improve, but you have to make sure its uncovered.

I eat soups and boil bones and drink herbal teas as well, I don't find them detrimental in moderation.  If I can I never cook fats or meats never eat any processed fats/oils besides butter.  That and eating not many carbs has been the most beneficial to my health.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:04:06 am by jessica »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:21:25 am »
Glad to have you here, cave biatch. Good luck on your path. You may also find certain types of fish to be really tasty raw, like tuna and swordfish.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 01:33:11 pm »
Maybe you're right about the kimchi. I am not good with spicy/salty stuff in general. The raw lamb didn't give me any issue.

I seem to be getting satisfied, then hungry really fast.

cherimoya, the only fish I like raw is salmon. I also like live cooked oyster/mollusk types and raw octopus, but I don't see that much in America.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk