Author Topic: Scheduled high fat diet experiment  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
Scheduled high fat diet experiment
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:37:36 pm »
"New research from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem shows that a carefully scheduled high-fat diet can lead to a reduction in body weight and a unique metabolism in which ingested fats are not stored, but rather used for energy at times when no food is available."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120912084430.htm

It seems that carb digestion cannot be controlled so much, and all carbs have to be rapidly used or stored as body fat. So it would be useful to eat small amounts of carbs often to keep blood sugar stable.

Conversely fat does not need to be absorbed until it is needed, so it can stay in the bowels for long periods of time until it is required.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Scheduled high fat diet experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:02:28 am »
I beg the question: WHATS THE SCHEDULE?! haha. They never mention how frequently or anything the schedule contained as far as feeding. Mono eating? 3 meals a day? A small meal every 4 hours? It'd be nice to divulge that sort of info.

I like when we find out more and more that calories in vs calories out is silly.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:18:53 am »
I beg the question: WHATS THE SCHEDULE?! haha. They never mention how frequently or anything the schedule contained as far as feeding. Mono eating? 3 meals a day? A small meal every 4 hours? It'd be nice to divulge that sort of info.

What's so funny? They gave the link to the full-text journal article, and that should be sufficient. It is here: http://www.fasebj.org/content/26/8/3493.full.pdf+html
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:23:09 am »
Oh gosh thanks! I don't know how I missed it. Distracted or something. :D
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 06:26:44 am »
All four groups of mice gained weight throughout the experiment

How does that lead to the conclusion that "Improving metabolism through the careful scheduling of meals, without limiting the content of the daily menu, could be used as a therapeutic tool to prevent obesity in humans"??

Do I miss anything?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:41:01 am »
This might be a better snippet Joy:

The mice on the scheduled high-fat diet had a lower final body weight than the mice eating an unscheduled high-fat diet. But surprisingly, the mice on the scheduled high-fat diet also had a lower final body weight than the mice that ate an unscheduled low-fat diet, even though both groups consumed the same amount of calories.
In addition, the mice on the scheduled high-fat diet exhibited a unique metabolic state in which the fats they ingested were not stored, but rather utilized for energy at times when no food was available, such as between meals.
According to Prof. Froy, "Our research shows that the timing of food consumption takes precedence over the amount of fat in the diet, leading to improved metabolism and helping to prevent obesity.

By omitting the comparative details of the finding of weight gain in each group of mice, you miss the whole point of the experiment.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 12:08:39 pm »
Eveheart, thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk