Author Topic: It Better Goddang Work!  (Read 28539 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: It Better Goddang Work!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 09:10:32 am »
I use scissors to cut meat after a big slice with a knife.  Far easier for me.  Try it.

I see you are transitioning.  Try to be grain free.  Use some other starch source like sweet potatoes or jacima or yacon.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 04:28:25 pm »
I use scissors too. I think I may not have cut the meat small enough as well.

I hate sweet potatoes except Japanese purple potato. I'll look into yacima and jacon.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 11:11:46 pm »
I wrote this in a previous reply, caveB, there are numerous posts on aging meat.  It definitely makes it more digestible, I think dry aging makes it more delicious as well.

"Try slicing the roast thin and then letting it sit in the open air, either on a rack  or on a plate, making sure to flip it once a day or so and wipe up any extra juice before returning it to the plate.  You can do this on the counter or in the fridge.  It should start to dry out a bit and will become much more tender and easily digestible if you are doing it right.  The flavor should also improve, but you have to make sure its uncovered."

Keep us updated on how you are doing :)

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 06:52:34 am »
I'll have to go back and reread your post. I wonder why drying it a bit helps the digestion part?

I think I jumped onto raw meat too quickly. I read somewhere on the forum that SAD eaters, who use vegetables, fibers, and grains, have expanded guts thanks to the large amount of food it takes to fill us up versus raw meat. I definitely do feel hungry after eating only a palmful of meat, so that is probably why I ate more than I should.
I am thinking of keeping some cooked foods in and transitioning slowly to more raw.

Today I drank more broth, with bacon and some rice. My stool came out Type 4 on the bristol stool scale, which was good news for me. I think a bit of cooked foods, broth, and lesser amounts of raw meat really helped. I think the enema may also have helped but who knows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale

Okay enough poo talk...

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 07:08:03 am »
One thing that works for me whenever I veer off this diet and want to get back on is a broth fast. I eat no solid food for a couple days, and drink as much vegetable & bone broth as I want, maybe with some melted pastured butter in it to help my gut get used to digesting fats again. This is satisfying enough that it also helps me get over carb cravings, and makes it so the liquid fast is nourishing enough that I can remain active. You might consider something like this.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 11:15:54 am »
Get rid of the bacon, unless you can personally verify the source.  Even Joel Salatin feeds his pigs some grain, and that's just not good for their health or ours.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »
I get my bacon from a local farmer. I asked about the feed and he said they're pasture raised (no grains) and I trust him because his products are good. When I eat the "organic bacon" from Whole Foods I get reactions, but not from this guy's bacon. My skin felt better and more supple after consuming his bacon so I'll keep it as an option.

I ate broth and raw beef shank (including marrow) today, but the shank I made sure not to eat too much just yet. I also supplemented with pasteurized goat butter and gelatin tea. I am PO'd because I am out of eggs and I can't get any until the end of this week. WH was out of liver too, and can't get that either until the end of this week. I really miss my raw egg yolks, raw liver, raw goat cheese, and raw butters! *rocks back and forth lol*

I am so disappointed that cooked paleo didn't help me (but I wasn't watching my carb intake either) and now I am searching for a health regimen all over again. School is going to start soon and my schedule is PACKED. I need to get my shit together and figure out how I'll keep my energy and avoid skipping class during periods due to extreme pain (I have PCOS). I really hope that raw paleo will help me.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 11:09:01 pm »
Just because pigs are 'pasture raised' does not mean they are not fed grain. Did you ask specifically if the pigs were fed grain? I mean very specifically, as in verbatim asking the farmer "Do you feed your pigs grain, any grain at all?"

I work with a lot of farmers doing on-farm energy audits, and while many happily affix the 'pasture raised' label to their animals every farmer who raises pigs on a commercial scale that I've ever worked with supplements heavily with grain. Even for most pasture raised pigs, grain represents the majority of their diet, both in terms of calories and in terms of dry mass. Pork, among the various types of livestock, is the easiest to earn high profits for raising. Just do the bare minimum to earn some sort of premium label (like 'organic', or 'pasture raised', or 'humanely raised') and sell the meat, which will still be of low quality, at a premium price.

I often think of pigs as the carp of the mammalian world. Carp are regarded as a trash fish here in the US, mainly because they root around in the bottom of lakes and rivers, eat anything they find regardless of quality, and bioaccumulate all sorts of toxins. Pigs also root around in the ground, eat anything they find regardless of quality, and because their bodies have a high fat content I'd wager they also bioaccumulate all sorts of toxins.

Pig meat is not on my menu.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 05:37:53 am »
Yeah I asked. Also pigs are foragers, they don't eat 100% grass, so they eat whatever they find. Nothing wrong with that. I don't remember what the farmer supplemented them with, all I know is that there weren't any grains such as wheat, oats, or barley in their diet (yeah I listen for those things).

I trust the quality. As someone who is sensitive to Whole Foods pork ('organic soy-free vegetarian" my ass..), the local farmer's bacon only did me good so far. I don't think pigs are naturally dirty animals, at least no more than chicken. The bacon is indeed pretty expensive, so I don't eat that much, and I save the fat for my soups. So good.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2014, 09:33:41 am »
I think the best thing would be to ask the farmer specifically "what do you feed the pigs?" With 100% grass fed animals we know they're eating nothing but grass except in winter when someone who truly does grass fed will feed hay (no grains). Since pigs are never "100% grass fed" it's best to ask what they're being fed.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:42:03 am by DaBoss88 »
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2014, 09:43:20 am »
Redundant questioning works well if you stop short of being a nuisance. Example: "Do you feed your stock any grains? Do they get any corn? How about soy? What kind of supplements do you put out?" Usually I get a "no" to the first question... and a "yes, all livestock get soy" kind of answer later on.

I also do not include pork in my diet. I buy beef from a butcher shop and lamb from a farmer.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 10:17:40 am »
I did ask, I just don't remember lol...
No grains, no soy. That's all I remember.

After he said pasture raised, no grains, no soy, I just went I AM SOLD. I'LL TAKE THREE

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 11:17:14 pm »
I have been eating raw pork this year.  It's all pasture raised and really delicious. 
I'll have to go back and reread your post. I wonder why drying it a bit helps the digestion part?

The drying is just slow aging, it allows the natural bacteria and enzymes on the meat to start the digestion process, making making it more easily broken down and assimilated in your body.  I think it might also help to populate your own gut with the bacteria's necessary to break down meat in the lower intestines.

Producers of fine meats, grain or grass fed, usually age meat because they know it improves texture and taste and profit.

I have been eating raw pork this past year, there are some really good pastured/forage fed farms around here and they produce some really quality meat.  I just stick with pork belly when I can get it, which is basically unprocessed bacon, and really fatty pork chops.  I have read that pastured pork can be a good source for vitamin D.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2014, 11:29:33 am »
I haven't eaten pork for days now. I was drinking broth (until I accidently dried the bones out), eating small portions of raw meat, butter, gelatin snacks, probiotics, other stuff. I don't know if it's the broth (doubt it), probiotics (probably), the raw meat (probably), or the enema (maybe), but I've been having moist, normal stools for a few days now so this is real good news for me.

My period started so let's see if this time is as painful as the last times.
Speaking of periods, I read a thread here claiming that it's not 'natural' to have monthly periods or whatever, but the raw vegans say the exact same thing. So how do we know if monthly periods are 'healthy', 'unnatural', or what?
No period can mean you're anemic. Monthly periods can mean your body is trying to expel excess toxins or whatever. Jesus christ, who can I believe anymore..

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2014, 11:54:55 am »
What is abnormal is what passes of as "sexuality" these days is unnatural.
Birth control / contraception at every turn... most of it chemical, hormonal, mechanical, abortion harmful.
Women not getting nutrition from ejaculates.
Women trying for first baby in their 30s and 40s is unnatural.

But we just do the best we can with the present money system.

You might want to give more info regarding your personal information so people can chime in here with period normality... age, # children, delivery method, contraceptive methods, # of abortions, past pharma drug use, if you have a sex partner these days, etc.

The info you provide may sound too obtrusive, you might just want to PM the females here about that info instead of making that public.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2014, 12:20:22 pm »
Sorry, I don't have links handy, but you might want to read about the studies of the Dogon people in Mali. Good example of how different cultural practices lead to women with about one fourth the lifetime menses of people like us. I'm blown away by the fact that they have an average of 100 lifetime menses to "our" 400. Even with my 8 years of continuous pregnancy/breastfeeding, I figure I had a lifetime of 380 cycles.

P.S. There is nothing unusual about the Dogon that wouldn't be true of other natural peoples... they were chosen to study because they have a practice of sending women to the menstrual hut, so sociologists can easily tell who's menstruating and when.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 12:28:53 am »
evenheart I know this is a common argument and I don't know if it's BS or not, but isn't it because hunter gatherers have kids earlier than we do and they breastfeed? Oh and I am sure that eating a proper diet prevents them from hemorrhaging everywhere for a week like we do.

Women on American diets seem to complain about menstrual cramps the most. Women from other countries complain less because they eat differently. Has anyone realized that? Other people probably don't eat crappy diets and take birth control for every minor symptom like we do.

Either way, menstrual pain cannot be natural. I can tell it's utter bullshit when other women and doctors are like "periods are SUPPOSED to hurt, it's natural! Here take tylenol." Curse of the woman my ass, there is no female curse. More like curse of modern day pollution and crappy diets. These people are on the same level as those who think teens are SUPPOSED to have acne.

We survived without tylenol for thousands of years and isn't it interesting how you never read about menstrual pain in old literature? I began getting menstrual cramps very early, at the age of 14, like many of my other female friends.  On the other hand, my grandmothers mentioned not having debilitating menstrual pain (drowsiness and some contraction is understandable due to blood loss but not if you're bed-bound), and it's not like they had kids early than modern people do (they got pregnant when they were like 22-28, not 15 like most people wouldn't imagined). Even women who never give birth aren't mentioned to have menstrual pain, so it can't be the "periods hurt these days because women have less children". Utter crock.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 07:03:25 am »
I can't wait until the weekends so I can get raw liver. I wonder why I crave raw liver, is it some sort of deficiency?

To answer your question goodsamaritan, I am in my 20's, no kids, never took birth control/abortion, I don't know what sort of meds I was on though. I got sick a lot as a kid and my parents (who are connected to the med industry) didn't really give a hoot about WHY I was sick and threw all sorts of meds at me (yep, med people pull this BS on their own kids too).I don't know if I ever had antibiotics, I think I used a steroid cream before (I had uterine prolapse as a kid, I don't know why), and I never had probiotics or a lot of yogurt so I am sure my guts aren't that great.

FUCK! My period (when it began bleeding heavily) was just as crappy as any other time, it hurt for like 4 hours. I was outside when it happen and I rolled around and fell asleep at the mall (the employees were so patient). This can't be natural. If this was the jungle I'd be eaten by now.

I don't know if I should take birth control, it seems to help people but also make them suicidal/moody to a degree and a lot of people end up being dependent on it. I want to get to the root cause of my issues instead of taking symptom-covering pills. On the other hand, school is coming and I don't want to miss school and get bad grades thanks to my crappy health.

What the fuck did I do to deserve this lol?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:28:52 am by cavebiatch »

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 11:52:37 am »
Also has anyone eaten frozen/thawed cow offals? I heard the thawed heart tastes disgusting/beefy as hell.

The local WH offers chicken offals (I think they're pastured but I don't remember). Are chicken offals any good? Any danger to them? I have this mental block that chickens are nasty, PUFA filled animals.

I am sure I need way more than just some cow muscle meats, raw livers, and bone marrows.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 03:23:44 pm »
Beef heart tastes pretty good but I always get mine fresh and never frozen.

Chicken, I dream about it 2x a year and have my fill and only then.

I heard some people here actually like chicken... be open minded about it.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2014, 01:57:47 pm »
Oh FML. I think I am an idiot. I finished my raw meat & liver on the morning of the 13th, no problem.

As school started, I decided that I was busy and got some rice and chicken from whole foods for a quick meal, followed by canned soup (contains a bit of gluten), and then some homemade cooked meals. My stools got hard, and on the 15th, I had retrieved a sample of this: http://www.amazon.com/Renew-Life-Cleanse-More-veggie/dp/B000F4W86A

So I was thinking, "my stools are getting hard, why not" and didn't pay attention to see that it's a laxative. I am an idiot, I thought it was fiber and took it. For the 16th and 17th, bathroom breaks weren't pleasant and I am cramping (not bad like menstrual cramp but still). I even had some bright red blood with some fluffy tissue-like stuff in my stool. It could be parasites but I doubt it, maybe it's a gut lining. I feel so stupid, I was tired. I am sure the day of diarrhea, the cramps, and the blood/tissue in my stool are cleansemore's fault.

Now what? I am freaking out right now. I can go to the doctor, I guess, but what now? Do I continue eating raw meat? Raw meat isn't filling. I don't want anything that's going to irritate my guts any longer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:06:02 pm by cavebiatch »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2014, 02:23:08 pm »
I even had some bright red blood with some fluffy tissue-like stuff in my stool. It could be parasites but I doubt it, maybe it's a gut lining.

Most like mucus plus blood from local irritation as your hard stool passed. Something like that.

...but what now? Do I continue eating raw meat? Raw meat isn't filling. I don't want anything that's going to irritate my guts any longer.

True, raw meat (by itself) isn't filling. If you eat raw meat to get filled, you will most likely be eating too much muscle. There are plenty of ideas on this forum to teach you to build your satisfying way of eating. A lot of your learning will come from trial and error. I recommend that you consider the chicken-and-rice incident to be a form of trial and error. Ditto the laxative experience. Learn and live.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2014, 04:08:54 pm »
Since there was blood, I probably have open wounds inside me. It's possible for them to get infected so I am taking probiotics. Might not help, but maybe.

I already took raw goat cheese and goat yogurt (pasteurized) for a gentle and filling meal as well, and I am making broth tomorrow from the bones I saved up. Are raw egg yolks safe for an inflamed gut? I doubt I have egg allergies.
It's funny how people tell us not to eat meat and cheese because they get you constipated, and to eat more veggies. I eat more veggies and I get constipated. Oh I forgot to mention, I ate more veggies than usual before becoming constipated, but I don't know if it's related to the constipation itself. The rice might've gotten me constipated.

I am going to stay away from storemade/canned foods. I need to be more proactive about prepping my meals. I'll have to start meal-planning, and what's even more difficult is that I can't go to the farmer's market anymore to get the eggs, bacon, raw butter, and raw cheese at will because I have class. What a great way to start the school semester. sigh.

I feel better the more I go to the bathroom. I hope the laxative gets out of the system as quickly as possible. It's way too powerful, I don't even know how this is okay and how other people were fine after using it. I guess the benefit is that I feel really cleaned out/refreshed?

Jesus, some people live off ramen and are seemingly healthy. Why can't some of us be able to eat normally? fml.

----

edit: also, this may not be related to diet but I think my gut issues have a lot to do with stress too. I don't know if therapists really help. Does anyone have tips to coping with acute stress?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:15:15 pm by cavebiatch »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 12:06:05 am »
edit: also, this may not be related to diet but I think my gut issues have a lot to do with stress too. I don't know if therapists really help. Does anyone have tips to coping with acute stress?

In my experience, the sensation of acute stress is created by certain thinking patterns, such as when I anticipate a negative outcome based on past experiences. For example, a student like yourself might perceive stress during school because of pre-perceived workloads, deadlines, exams, and the task of learning a lot of new material at a fast pace.

I find that mindfulness - which is a meditation technique - helps to calm me down so that I can look at my stressors from an objective base and make different decisions about their impact on me. For example, if I have a lot of pages to read, I can accept and acknowledge that students have huge reading lists, and that I have gotten through the material before, so I'll get through it this time. I might dwell on how much I like learning in my field, how wonderful my professors and classmates are, how cute my little apartment is... stuff like that.

In short, if you refuse to believe that the stress comes from an external source, you can begin to find ways to dissolve it from within.

Offline cavebiatch

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 06:28:30 am »
I wasn't able to find a gastro enterologist who actually can look into my colon as they're all closed for Saturday, but I went to the walk in urgent care clinic and was sorely disappointed.

I called and asked if they were able to help me with my cramps and the blood in my stool, and I was told yes. However the doctor, since she didn't have the equipment to look inside me, said that she's have to refer me to a gastro enterologist that I can meet on Monday. I thought the doc would at least have internal medication or something to help with the sore intestines but all she offered were tylenol. Why did they tell me they can help then? It's like they gave me false information. I don't think the doctor even looked at my list of allergies as she recommended that I eat toast (as part of the BRAT diet). What a waste of money. However, she said I have hemorrhoids and prescribed me hemorrhoid cream. Otherwise I am still having cramps, but I don't see blood or anything anymore.

Screw it, I am going to be safe and treat myself as if I have Ulcerative Colitis, those were pretty much my symptoms anyway. A lot of online articles claim that I have to avoid fatty foods if I have gut issues. I wonder how true that is, if they also mean healthy raw fats or just the industrial stuff (such as veggie oils and CAFO animal fats)?

I am thinking of giving up goat milk. I wonder if I should also give up raw cheese (I hope not)?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:49:15 am by cavebiatch »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk