Author Topic: Are the following supplements safe?  (Read 15390 times)

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Are the following supplements safe?
« on: January 11, 2014, 07:20:25 am »
I want to take magnesium and vitamin c:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/source-naturals-magnesium-malate-1250-mg-180-tablets/sr-2132#.UtB-Wp5dUSp

Not sure exactly which vitamin c to get yet. Which ingredients should i be avoiding and looking out for??

thanks

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Are the following supplements safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:04:13 am »

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »
I wouldn't say either of those are inherently "dangerous," therefore I wouldn't say they're not safe.

With supplements there are some times different forms and different types can yield different results. Different forms of magnesium absorb differently. For example the natural calm you linked gave me loose stools at 250 mg. However I can take 300 mg magnesium glycinate + 450 mg magnesium chloride + 250 mg magnesium taurate with no loose stools.

In general L-ascorbic acid is the type of vitamin c found naturally in foods, and the best kind in supplements. For magnesium generally the ones bound to amino acids are the best ones. Magnesium chloride is also really good, when it's placed in water the magnesium disassociates from the chloride forming individual magnesium ions which absorb well. Generally magnesium citrate (like in natural calm) isn't very good.

As far as avoiding additives, I stick to the recommendations of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Generally avoiding things like lactose, gluten, rice powder, etc. is good.

Here's a link for legal SCD additives - http://pecanbread.com/new/Sup1.html - not necessarily advocating going that route, but it does avoid most of the really bad additives.

Here's a pretty decent article from the Weston Price Foundation on supplements - http://www.westonaprice.org/health-issues/dietary-supplements
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 03:57:53 pm »
Not sure exactly which vitamin c to get yet.

Natural ones in raw food.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 11:01:17 pm »
Why are you so fixated on getting your nutrients from supplements? Why not get them from food, or through other natural avenues?

If you fear you're Mg deficient, take epsom salts (MgSO4) baths a couple times each week. That'll fix that problem fast, no supplements, no side effects. I posted a link to a study somewhere on here that demonstrated Mg is easier to absorb through the skin in mineral baths than to absorb through the gut in food.

If you fear you're deficient in vitamin C, eat fresh fruits and vegetables. And why are you fixated on vitamin C? It's one of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of antioxidants, not necessarily even a particularly potent one. Just one that was isolated before many others, so it's a household name. Nothing particularly special about vitamin C.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 11:42:40 pm »
There is no need of supplemental Mag, or Vitamin C, unless you are still consuming foods like refined carbs which decrease the ability to adsorb nutrients, while increasing the overall need.

If you are transitioning and feel like your body is depleted, and would like to add extra nutrition, why not try Raw shell fish and sea food for Magnesium and other trace minerals. Magnesium baths or massaging in Magnesium oil, are also better methods of getting magnesium, because taking oral supplements could interfere with digestion and absorption , by its laxative effect.

If you want a little extra C try a glass of lemon water, mass doses should not be necessary once you have eliminated the processed foods which are responsible for depleting  C levels.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:44:23 am »
I guess my main concern is I literally have trouble sleeping every other day and it is frustrating me to no end. I cannot function as a normal human being at all.

I cannot seem to eat raw seafood... would canned sardines be a good source of magnesium? What about cooked salmon?

Regarding the magnesium oil, where would I need to massage it to get the effect that I desire?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:19:42 am »
What has convinced you that your problem is Mg deficiency?

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 09:19:39 am »
What has convinced you that your problem is Mg deficiency?

I suffer from chronic anxiety/stress/worry and I believe that depletes magnesium levels.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 10:09:11 am »
Its rare to be just depleted in one mineral, and one vitamin.... When one nutrient is low there are often many other nutrients that are depleted or out of balance as well. This is why it takes a holistic lifestyle and dietary approach to properly take care of the underling issues.

If you are stressed , anxious and worried, taking supplements and eating better may give you some improvement, but if you want to completely overcome your issues, you will need to create a healthy lifestyle to mirror your healthy diet.

I know a one month vacation in paradise, while obtaining the most optimal food,  isn't always the easiest thing to do...  this is why some people look to supplements as an easy fix for their chronic problems.

Well I'm here to tell you that there is no easy fix, so you must be willing to make serious changes to your diet and lifestyle, that will reduce stress, while giving the body optimal nutrition in order to have real and lasting results. Optimal nutrition, in the view of many here on the forum includes paleo quality raw animal foods and paleo approved plant foods as the main staples of the diet.

I personally recommend Sunbathing on a warm beach, as a way to help with stress. Fresh air, sunshine, and time off are just as important to overall well being as a healthy diet.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 10:26:00 am »
I suffer from chronic anxiety/stress/worry and I believe that depletes magnesium levels.

Here's an article on magnesium and mental health - http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201106/magnesium-and-the-brain-the-original-chill-pill
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 11:07:37 am »
Magnesium supplementation is perfectly safe. Try to avoid supplements with lots of weird fillers, though.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 11:45:19 am »
Magnesium supplementation is perfectly safe. Try to avoid supplements with lots of weird fillers, though.

Would you say the following is a good supplement:

http://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm/

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 01:01:14 pm »
I've definitely used it with no problems, other than the usual loose stools if I've had too much (without some calcium to balance it out).

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 01:11:56 pm »
What about taking supplements such as 5-htp, and melatonin?

Offline lena

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:30 am »
Nuts (brazil, macadamia) and fish (salmon, mackerel, shellfish) are both high in magnesium.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 12:50:01 pm »
What about taking supplements such as 5-htp, and melatonin?

You could try them for a few days, and see what they do for you.  Is there a specific problem you hope they will solve?

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 03:14:22 pm »
You could try them for a few days, and see what they do for you.  Is there a specific problem you hope they will solve?

the fact that I cannot sleep at all for the past 4-5 days

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 05:59:32 pm »
the fact that I cannot sleep at all for the past 4-5 days

Just take a melatonin pill or two.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 12:04:54 am »
Sunlight is crucial to optimize circadian rhythms. A healthy dose of sunbathing early in the day will release serotonin, which in turn triggers the release of meletonin at dusk.  Sun bathing is good for sleep disorders. Sex helps too, after spending the afternoon basking in the sun, a little love making in the evening always insures that I will have a good nights sleep.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:56:07 am by sabertooth »

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 12:26:36 am »
A healthy does of sunbathing early in the day will release serotonin

Bwahaha, a healthy does.. lol

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 01:50:07 am »
Sunlight is crucial to optimize circadian rhythms. A healthy does of sunbathing early in the day will release serotonin, which in turn triggers the release of meletonin at dusk.  Sun bathing is good for sleep disorders. Sex helps too, after spending the afternoon basking in the sun, a little love making in the evening always insures that I will have a good nights sleep.

I have no luck in the love-making department haha.

In regards to the sun-bathing, how do you do this with a job??

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 05:38:27 am »
its also right around the full moon right now, so that might be effecting your sleep patterns, they keep me up sometimes.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 09:04:23 am »
Daboss, Momma always said, Healthy is, as healthy does.

In regards to the sun-bathing, how do you do this with a job??

You could always get a job on the beach as a life guard and kill two birds with one stone....
Baywatch Intro

Indoor jobs are totally not paleo, but if you have to spend the brightest hours of the day indoors, I advocate occasional artificial tanning. I know there may be some dissenting voices in the gallery on the subject, but personally in the winter months I will lay in a tanning bed for ten minuets about twice a week.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 12:08:18 pm »
Daboss, Momma always said, Healthy is, as healthy does.

Lol

There's always the good old phantom hand - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=phantom%20hand

Lmao! Jk

But seriously, occasionally I use melatonin and it's fine. I just don't make it a habit. If you need to use it temporarily, go for it. But it's not a long term solution since (I've heard) the body stops producing its own if it's used too frequently. A viable long term solution will address why you're having those problems sleeping.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:22:47 pm by TylerDurden »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk