Author Topic: Initial side effect-is this normal?  (Read 6445 times)

Offline jsafar

• Forager
    • View Profile
Initial side effect-is this normal?
« on: January 14, 2014, 03:02:14 am »
Hi there
I am very new to the Paleo world, and previously engaged in a very high-carb, high sugar diet. It has been ten days since I have removed grains and sugar from my diet, and all in all it has been going well. The last couple of days however, I have been shaky, primarily in my legs as well as "foggy." Is this normal, and is there any way to combat it so that I feel at ease?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:13:28 am by jsafar »

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Initial side effect-is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:52:29 am »
Most people suffer from various sorts of withdrawal symptoms when backing off a high carb, high sugar diet. I suspect your symptoms are from that. If this is true, you just have to be patient and let them resolve, which they will probably within a week or two.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 05:28:34 am »
You were incredibly vague in what you've been eating. All we know is that you've cut out grains and sugar. What are you eating? There's no way of really determining what's going on with such little information.

While it could be withdrawal from the carbs. It could also be you're not eating any fat. It could also be you aren't getting enough sodium. It could be a lot of things. It's impossible to give a good assessment with the little information you've given.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline jsafar

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 05:40:24 am »
I apologize for not being more specific. I havent yet begun consuming raw meat. On a typical day, I will consume:

Breakfast:
2 hard boiled eggs
Blueberries (or strawberries)
3 pieces bacon (or sausage)

Snack:
Avocado slices (equilavent to 1/2 medium avocado)
green peppers/carrots

Lunch:
Chicken breast
Kale salad with lemon juice, tomatoes, onion, carrots

Snack:
Remainder of avocado
blackberries

Dinner:
Some form of meat (usually some porkloin or steak)
Asparagus

Ill drink water through out the day and refrain from any sugary drinks, where as before I would often have diet soda throughout the day.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 06:52:24 am »
What you've presented seems to offer a decent array of macronutrients, although realize that you haven't remotely cut out sugar or carbs with these foods. Fruit (blueberries, blackberries, peppers, tomatoes) has lots of sugar, as do carrots. If you're eating more meat than your body requires protein to make repairs, your body is converting that excess protein into sugar, so you might be getting additional sugar from this. Onions, carrots and asparagus have some complex carbohydrates.

So given this information, I doubt your symptoms are from carb (or sugar) withdrawal, as you're getting plenty of sugars. You might be suffering from excitotoxin withdrawals though, as these compounds are created with complex carbs, usually from grains and, to a lesser degree, from legumes, are cooked. If you aren't eating much cooked grains or legumes, then your excitotoxin consumption has probably fallen. These are morphine and opiate-like compounds that can be mildly, or sometimes even extremely, habit forming for some people.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:41:21 am by Eric »

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:42:43 am »
I totally disagree eric. Raw carrots aren't very digestible. Those foods may have carbs but you would have to eat a lot to reach the caloric intake of a bagel. 245 calories for the bagel, 25 for a carrot and 1 cup of blueberries has 85 calories. The avacado has few calories from carbs. I bet you are probably on sugar withdrawal. I kinda need honey to remain fully alert and active during periods of stress, my ignorant advice would be to put a little bit of honey on a spoon and eat it with your other foods to aid in digestion.

Also the diet soda may be addictive, especially the caffeine. More withdrawal.

You are cooking your eggs, really shouldn't be more than soft boiled. Is your meat cooked? Are you sure your on the right website ;) ?

Anyways good luck, hope you keep with it, cheers.

Offline cobalamin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 12:08:19 pm »
Painful legs is an indication that you're low in sugar and the mitochondria in your cells haven't switched to burning fat as fuel yet. It takes a while. I would recommend physical activity to become adapted to burning fat as fuel or sleep more often like bears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk