Author Topic: Introduction and FREE copy of my just-published Paleo book  (Read 10177 times)

Offline nutritionalgrail

• Forager
    • View Profile
Introduction and FREE copy of my just-published Paleo book
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:57:03 pm »
Greetings,

My name is Christopher Clark. I'm a writer, consultant, recipe creator, and teacher on the topics of nutritional science, Paleo nutrition, and healthy food preparation.

For the past 2-year I have doing intensive research and writing towards my new book, Nutritional Grail. I just launched it last night :) So as to spread the word, I am giving away absolutely FREE downloads of the ebook. I am grateful to those who will later write a review on Amazon, but there is no obligation.

Story Cartel, an Amazon-affiliated site, is hosting my book now: http://storycartel.com/books/753/nutritional-grail-ancestral-wisdom-breakthrough-science-and-the-dawning-nutritional-renaissance/

Please feel free to tell anyone and everyone who might be interested.

A little more about me: christopherjamesclark.com

Many thanks,
Christopher

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction and FREE copy of my just-published Paleo book
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:07:43 pm »
Hi Christopher, congratulations on finishing a book. I'll give it a read, and if it's good I'll write a review on Amazon. If it's really good, I might write a longer, more thoughtful review on my website.

Offline nutritionalgrail

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:31:47 pm »
Thank you very much Eric. I would be extremely grateful. Best regards :)

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:50:17 pm »
If your book has anything cooked in it, you won't get much praise here.

Offline nutritionalgrail

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:35:46 am »
Hi ys, thanks for the heads up. My Fat chapter is very much advocating raw fat. I do have some cooked recipes though. Sorry :) In any case, I hope it's an interesting and informative read.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 04:18:46 am »
I downloaded your book, and I have started reading it. Questions pop up in my mind, left and right!

My most important question so far is, since the first item on your list of things to eliminate for improved health and wellness is "processed foods," why would you advocate the most universal of all food processing, by which I mean "cooking" food to change it's structure and flavor?

To guide your answer, I might add that my evidence points irrefutably to cooking as a major source of inflammation and indigestion. Cutting out neolithic grains/legumes did nothing to improve my health, even when those items were raw. If yours had been the first book I read (instead of Aajonus Vonderplanitz's), I would have been misinformed and misled... and I would have rejected anything "paleo" as a solution to my health problems.

My next question is about that section on raw fat. I feel like we're playing "The Emperor's New Clothes" when you mention a short list of processed oils as an example of good raw fats. Do you really think that these modern products qualify as paleolithic foods? Paleolithic man didn't even have pottery... where did they store these expressed oils?

My unsolicited advice: hold back on your book, make it true, and then publish it. There are many good suggestions on this Forum for transitioning to a raw paleo diet. Your book is all transition, no arriving! You're like the majority of doctors who advise their patients how to take big-pharma medication to make their modern-diet symptoms more bearable.

At this point, my review would be entitled "SELL OUT!" I'll keep reading, or more accurately, skimming for any truth you might have included.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline nutritionalgrail

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 04:41:13 am »
Hello eveheart,

Thanks for the feedback. You are right that my use of the word "processed" is not as clear as it should be. I should have made a distinction between traditional processing (cooking) and more intensive, industrial processing (oil extraction using high heat and hexane solvents).

Regarding the recommended fats, of course paleolithic man couldn't extract these oils, but I think they could eat coconuts, no? The fat wouldn't change through no-heat extraction. I based my fat recommendations on the proportion of saturated/monoun/polyun, favoring saturated and monoun. I think of Paleo nutrition as a template, from which we can make sensible, practical adjustments.

Thanks very much for this feedback.

Best regards,
Christopher

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:14 am »
I just finished reading the book and left a positive review on Amazon. Hopefully a hard-copy will be available soon, as I'd love to buy a copy as a reference book. Christopher, you've done a great service by writing this book. Don't let the extremists who frequent this site convince you otherwise.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 12:04:09 pm »
I'm scanning this now.
Will give a review.
Might be good for my parents.

If your book has anything cooked in it, you won't get much praise here.

Ha ha ha... you are right on the money there.  Is raw bone marrow recommended in the book? Nope.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 12:19:36 pm »
Hello Christopher,

I quickly glanced at your new  book last night. I was very impressed with all the information you provided. I have a passion for nutrition as well. Nothing really stands out that I haven't heard/read before. Not to take away from your book at all. But, you do come across as a great researcher that is open minded to new and old ideas! You seem to put a lot of different books and ideas and mold information together, and I think that is the strength of your book. It's funny that you would post at the "Raw Paleo Diet" website. But, I'm sure you have done your research, and found out that there are a lot of people who don't follow a "RAW" animal diet, or who are not quite ready for such a diet. I feel these people could benefit from the suggestions in your book. There's a lot of them here!  -\. Some of the posters on this site have no clue about the "RAW PALEO"diet. They think it's a "cure all"! I try and tell people who listen, that nutrition is a foundation. You can build something on a solid foundation. But, you can't expect to eat a raw steak and it's going to cure all your ails in your life  l). Lets be honest, this diet (RAW PALEO) will never go mainstream. There's too many barriers to overcome (in our society). Your book is right at a sweet spot where most people can accept. Cold processing oils, raw fats, even grass fed butter. Not to mention grass fed meats as well.

I will add that most people on this site have no clue about nutrition. It's not to surprising because most Americans have no clue at all. Not to say every poster is American (not the case). We have a lot of educated, very smart people on this site world wide. But, you get my point.

I did enjoy your book, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to live/experience a healthier lifestyle. I would never encourage someone to go Raw Paleo cold turkey. I think diets are an evolution, where one diet can lead to another. I really think a majority of people should take notice of your book, and its research and start there. In that regard I would endorse your nutritional book.

I'd like to add that, I didn't wake up one morning, and decide to eat raw meat and fats. A little over 14 years ago I had no clue about nutrition. I'm still learning to be honest with you. There are so many books and theories out there, most people hardly know where to start. Just like writing a nutritional book doesn't happen overnight. Learning about nutrition doesn't happen overnight either. It's a process. I like that you kept your ideas and examples simple. I think most people can follow your recommendations, and incorporate them into their lives. Nutrition doesn't have to be brain surgery. But, you need to understand a basic good foundation. Once you achieve that, you can start incorporating your own ideas and experiment more.

I'd like to wish you luck on this book and its future success! Thanks for sharing your book and its information with the members of this site. I'm sure this book will help out a lot of people!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:25:19 pm by Chris »

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:31:38 pm »
Hi, Christopher. I browsed your book and I think the book is easy to read and useful for the general public.

It seems to me that your research/recommendations are general rather than in-depth? Maybe that is your intention? For instance, you recommend enamel-coated cast iron cookware and slow cookers but you do not discuss the lead/cadmium that might leach into food from these cookware.

Offline nutritionalgrail

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »
Eric, thanks a lot for the review! I sent you a private message.

Goodsamaritan, thank you also for reading my book and I would greatly appreciate a review :)

Goodsamaritan and Chris, yes I posted the book on "Raw Paleo" despite the fact that my book is neither 100% raw nor 100% paleo. I am keeping my ideas always open and trying to reach out to others who approach nutrition from a similar mind state. And Chris, I agree with you that nutrition and finding one's optimal diet is a long process. For me it's been about 15 years since I started trying to figure things out. I made a lot of progress but still more to be learned  :)

Joy2012, you are right, I probably should have gone more into the issue of heavy metal contamination with certain kinds of ceramic cookware. I think I will address this in an upcoming blog post. Thanks.

Chris and others, I would greatly appreciate a short, brief, honest review on Amazon. Thank you everyone!  :) :)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 07:00:47 pm »
Hmm, I smell troll   l) .(not referring to the OP, though, of course).

I am none too keen on promoting a cooked-palaeodiet book. However, such a book can be useful for those who have friends/relatives who have  anxiety-ridden hangups about eating raw meats but are still willing to make a few small steps towards real health in other ways.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline nutritionalgrail

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:58 pm »
@TylerDurden

A troll? Why? I am completely open about who I am and what I am doing. My purpose is to reach out and connect with people interested in nutrition. I don't mind if those people don't have exactly the same views as me. I have recently published a book, and yes, I want to promote it. But at the moment it is free for anyone and everyone. I don't understand the troll comment.

Best,
Christopher

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 08:42:39 pm »
I  already made rather  clear in my previous post that you, the OP/original poster were not being referred to  as a troll. 8) ;) Your behaviour is fine.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:56 pm »
Well, I will have a look at the book, though I can see re mention of the  awful Taubes that I will  not be too fond of  certain  passages.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 08:56:00 pm »
1st comment:- There is  the initial notion that all those studies done on (cooked) saturated fats must be bogus. The trouble with this claim is that there have been way too many such studies made for them to be so blithely dismissed. I will concede that only a few research scientists have had the balls to admit that the problem is  only with cooked  animal fats(ie the production of heat-created toxins via cooking) rather than with all animal fats in general, the latter view being foolishly more common.

" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 08:59:39 pm »
General history and myth could have been left out in favour of, say, a history of diets, starting with the 19th century or earlier. Just my thoughts, though.....
" Ron Paul.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:16:47 pm »
I quite enjoyed how the book started by talking about mythology. It gave the text an artistic flair that most non-fiction sorely lacks. If anything, I wish Chris has carried that thread throughout the book.

Offline nutritionalgrail

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 09:20:04 pm »
Thanks for your comments! Very helpful...

I have to admit that I've always been lousy with internet abbreviations...took me forever to figure out what LOL means!
Now I know OP  :) :) :)

Cheers!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 09:28:05 pm »
His dismissal of animal-related scientific studies is rather  extreme. A lot of animal-related studies done on heat-created toxins in cooked foods have demonstrated the harm done by cooking, whereas it would be impossible due to  foolish prejudices among scientists for a study to be done on people eating raw meat diets.

Unfortunately for CCs claims a lot of studies on the harm done by cooked meats do also take into account the smoking factor and there still is a sizeable negative effect on health  on non-smokers in studies  once smokers are not counted.

Michael Fumento did a couple of great pieces, debunking Taubes' ideas, such as this one:-

http://www.fumento.com/fat/reason.html

The next chapter on grains overlooks one important point. It claims that all we need to do to be healthy is to switch from eating highly processed grains to eating grains prepared in "traditional, ancient " ways. Yet, plenty of evidence exists to show that in Neolithic times, human health and longevity plunged as soon as they switched from palaeo diets to neolithic ones involving raw dairy and grains prepared traditionally.

He then mentions that chronic inflammation is behind many major diseases but chooses not to mention that cooking also produces lots of  toxins which greatly increase inflammation.

He then mentions bacteria as being vital for the human body. What is not mentioned is that intake of bacteria is mostly destroyed by the acidity of the gut, so, really, only raw food diets, especially ones involving rotting meats, have a chance of properly influencing gut flora in a big way.
" Ron Paul.

Offline nutritionalgrail

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 09:43:29 pm »
Regarding  cereals, you are right. And I make repeated mention throughout the book that a non-cereal diet is better. Nevertheless, I observe that for some people, dropping cereals after a lifetime of consuming them is not practical. Based on this observation, I have explained the best types of cereals and also the best ways for preparing them. But many times throughout the book I say we are better without cereals and I encourage people to transition to a diet consisting of meat/fish + vegetables + modest amounts of fruit.

My citations to Taubes were for his investigative work, not for his actual nutritional views. I referenced him for some documents he obtained regarding the sugar industry and his observations about the selection criteria for epidemiological studies being accepted in journals.

Throughout the book I am very supportive of raw foods, especially raw fat. I don't, however, think it needs to be all or nothing.

In any case, I thank you very much for your feedback.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:13:51 pm by nutritionalgrail »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 10:17:42 pm »
I hope you don't feel bad about the comments you got or may get here because this is the RAW paleo diet forum and we do have differences with the mainstream cooked paleo diet community.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline nutritionalgrail

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 11:34:41 pm »
No hard feelings at all  :)
Very informative for me and I enjoy to hear different perspectives, especially from people who are so scientifically grounded.
It's a great forum.
Cheers  :)

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 02:12:00 am »
I like your open and cordial attitude. I hope you will come to the forum regularly, which I believe will be mutually beneficial.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk