Author Topic: Post-Surgery and Scars  (Read 5733 times)

Offline OldeSword

• Forager
    • View Profile
Post-Surgery and Scars
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:36:15 am »
Obstructive Sleep Apnea runs in my family as my grandfather, uncle and probably my brother have it. Of course, no one in my family thought to tell their always-tired relative that there was a history of sleep disorders until the military diagnosed me. And the military didn't diagnose me until I fell asleep doing 70 on the freeway and offroaded my Corolla.

Anyways... Tried a bunch of different options and they didn't work. Finally, doc had me do a U-Triple-P (UvuloPalatatoPharyngoPlasty) to try and correct the anatomy. Basically, they went in and took out my uvula (the dangly bit in the back of the throat), my tonsils and part of my soft palette (separates your nose from your throat). Good news is I do feel a bit better. Bad news is I don't feel 100% and there are side effects: Difficulty swallowing at times, increased tendency to choke, fluids coming out my nose, fluids coming down my nose (mucus or salt water if a wave gives me a good tumble), this constant feeling of something in the back of my throat...

Long story short: I am hoping that a raw diet rich in raw meat will encourage cellular regeneration so that my throat doesn't scar too much and it will recover enough so that my soft palette starts doing its job again.

Also, any experience with healing scar tissue? AV claims his Primal Diet helps dissolve scar tissue which would be nice for my throat and other scar tissue interspersed throughout my body (shoulder, knees, chest...)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Post-Surgery and Scars
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 08:16:34 pm »
Trouble is that Aajonus' remedies for things like scar-tissue tend to involve large amounts of dairy, cream etc.

If you have trouble swallowing, I suppose it would make sense to use Vitamixes/blenders of various kinds so as to mince the meats properly.

Prerawpalaeodiet, I had one mild scar on my left arm (from a vaccination I think), which was sensitive enough so that I couldn't sleep on my left-side. It only disappeared once I turned to a raw, palaeolithic diet and cut raw dairy out of my diet. My rate of wound-healing (re cutting myself shaving or whatever) also sped up after I went rawpalaeo.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 03:26:05 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline OldeSword

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:22:53 am »
Ah. That is what I wanted to hear. The scars still go away under a rawpaleodiet. I thought it would but it's always nice to have it confirmed by someone who has had it happen and isn't making any money off me.

Offline letifer

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 03:33:59 am »
Not to revive an old thread, but I thought it would be worth responding to. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea which was 'fixed' with a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy as well as septoplasty (this was 5 years ago or so). Although this did help somewhat my sleep actually worsened a few years later. Since going 80-90% raw paleo over the past few weeks (still transitioning) I have been sleeping much much better. I am breathing better both when asleep and awake. I think part of the reason would be the magnesium in meat that relaxes the muscles... but also I am seeing the raw paleo is clearing up virtually all health problems and nuisances that I have.
Good things come to those who take the initiative.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk