Author Topic: Marijuana Causes Long-term Brain Changes  (Read 11624 times)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Marijuana Causes Long-term Brain Changes
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 01:25:03 pm »
Wait, DaBoss, are you trying to tell me that you believe the mind and thought processes are not malleable and cannot be restructured with proper nutritional balancing upon cessation of habits that take them out of what is considered the "norm"?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:38:39 pm by jessica »

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 09:13:57 pm »
Wait, DaBoss, are you trying to tell me that you believe the mind and thought processes are not malleable and cannot be restructured with proper nutritional balancing upon cessation of habits that take them out of what is considered the "norm"?

There's nutritional balancing and modifying the mind and thought processes, but marijuana use isn't something that contributes to that process. Discontinuing marijuana and then working on nutritional balancing is a different story - sure you could quit using drugs and potentially repair the damage done, and even be better off than you were before using said substances. Possibly you could even still use marijuana, and perhaps have the damage being done be less than that of someone with a less healthy lifestyle. But the take away is that marijuana use disrupts the body's normal endocannabinoid function.

That being said, I still support legalization because I'm pro freedom. If someone wants to smoke pot, or anything else, provided they're not causing others harm (though they may be causing harm to themselves) then I think it's better legal.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:37:33 am by DaBoss88 »
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 11:26:17 pm »
I'm a cannabis user who gets a lot of benefit and joy out of it. It's too bad that a lot of people he are coming from a place of ignorance about it. It's understandable, in a sense, because all drugs are abused in our ridiculous. People overuse everything, including weed, and when you overuse it, it can have a negative effect that causes stereotypical laziness (though it still doesn't cause physical harm). I take two or three hits a day, and it adds a wonderful spiritual dimension to my life, inspires me creatively, and is very beneficial to meditation. It also opens up that "third eye" and helps me see the effect of food on my consciousness. I also sleep better, and don't have the low-level depression that I used to. On the contrary, life is very joyous when you respectfully use plant allies such as cannabis. Another amazing one is ayahuasca. People who are on a spiritual path should really try this stuff; you have no idea how profoundly healing it is without trying it, but almost everyone who tries it has a life-changing experience for the better. These substances used properly seem to carry a theme of getting in touch with our true nature and with the Earth. Good-quality cannabis really brings nature to life, and it helps you laugh. It's medicinal qualities are incredible. More and more is coming out about its medicinal benefits (for epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, glaucoma, chronic pain, and some cancers, yes).

The fact that we have a natural endocannabinoid system in our brains is evidence that we SHOULD be using cannabis. Cannabis fits perfectly into receptors that exist in our brains; the endocannabioid system is very fundamental to our moods and happiness. That's why people like weed so much! It's also being studied as a treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder. There's a lot of benefit to conscious use of this stuff as a plant medicine, not a "drug." The notion of lumping all "drugs" together is a product of our whacked out society and this ridiculous "War on Drugs." Cannabis has no relation to cocaine; in fact, they're more like opposites. And cannabis is incredibly physically benign. Sure, you can get psychologically addicted to anything, but weed has no physical addiction; even if you use it heavily, if you stop, you won't get withdrawal symptoms. This is unlike even caffeine, which has physical withdrawal symptoms associated with it (coffee- now there's a spiritually destructive drug in our society). Weed has also never killed anyone in all of history. That's indicative of it's safety.

We're in a time right now in history when society is taking another look at marijuana. I really urge every to do that. Sanjay Gupta of CNN is a doctor who was originally opposed to marijuana- until he actually looked at the scientific evidence. Now he's a public champion of it's medical use. Check out his two CNN segments that a re up on youtube: "Weed" and "Weed." I wish everyone would take some time to look at the evidence and re-think your knowledge and position on cannabis. If you've never tried it, or haven't in ten years, why not try it? The key is to use it very moderately. The pothead culture of smoking "blunts to your head" gives this plant a bad name. I literally take exactly one hit at a time. If you've never enjoyed a simple weed high- you're missing out on one of the more beautiful, mentally healthy, and fun experiences of life.

I'm glad to see people supporting legalization of weed on a pro-freedom basis. Honestly, I don't think people should be going to prison for ANY drugs. Drugs should be a public health issue, not a criminal justice issue. We should be using public tax money to fund research and education and treatment, not prisons. Portugal decriminalized all drugs in 2002, and they've seen a drop in violent crime and teen addiction. It's time to end the "War on Drugs" and progress to a more compassionate and healthy approach to the entire issue.
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 11:29:58 pm »
Btw, here's the Sanjay Gupta program about medical cannabis.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hrVXRZY1_x0

And here's the sequel:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a2SpiaHJ41g

And here's a fantastic short independent documentary called "What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?" It's about recent medical marijuana research coming out of Spain and Israel.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-jWWVtS2gEg
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 11:52:58 pm »
"The fact that we have a natural endocannabinoid system in our brains is evidence that we SHOULD be using cannabis. "

no body SHOULD be doing anything. 

Really, we have all types of receptors, those in our lymph that are compatible with amanita mushrooms, and also opioid receptors, but does that mean we should always be shrooming or smoking opium or shooting up? 

No way, its just proof we can, not should.

Only when mind and body have been balanced with diet, environment and to a certain extent lifestyle and spirituality.  When we have oriented these basics towards healing and optimal health, and perhaps need healing that we cannot overcome with them alone, then we look towards other plant/earth medicines to bring us to a different state of healing. 

But remember healing is dynamic, so staying with healing herbs or earth medicines after that hump in healing is surpassed does not seem to be wise.  I am pretty sure the purpose of medicines is that you use them so you heal and don't need to use them, if you are being wise to insure that all of the other areas of your life are coming into appropriate balance. 

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 05:35:43 pm »
I support peoples freedom and agree this needs to be a health issue. Personally it didn't work well for me - tired dreamy munchies withdrawal depression :'(

Also science has shown that the main side effect of smoking is an increase in stupidity, which takes around a month to wear off after the last smoke.

The only way we 'should' be consuming it is as raw juice, especially the 50% CBD / THC variety as validated by William Courtney (youtube leaf).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:43:56 pm by alive »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk