Author Topic: Questions about suet, how long does it last frozen?  (Read 8001 times)

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Questions about suet, how long does it last frozen?
« on: March 05, 2014, 12:09:19 am »
I'm considering buying suet and put it in the freeze and take whatever part I need, can it always be stored in the refrigerator? I'm wondering this because I know fat is better then eating meat, meat last forever but what about pure suet?

Also I heard that suet is hard to digest so what other source of fat do you guys use if you don't consume suet?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about suet, how long does it last frozen?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:08:44 am »
I prefer muscle meat trimmings rather than suet.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:50:52 am »
Suet will last a long time when it's frozen. The key to getting suet that's easy to digest is getting it from animals slaughtered in late spring or summer when they've been eating young grass and herbs. This suet will be wonderful, it will have the texture of butter and will melt in your mouth. Suet from animals slaughtered in fall or winter will be hard, crumbly and will end up like chewing gum; you'll have to swallow big pieces and they will not be as easy to digest. I'm admittedly not sure what the difference is caused by, probably a mixture of differing fatty acid profiles and connective tissue content, but nowadays I limit my suet purchases to late spring and summer.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:35:41 am »
I have had raw suet last for many months outside the fridge before being eaten. All that happened to it was that the outer surface of the suet became blue-green due to fungi.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:44:08 am »
I'll second what Geoff (TylerDurden) said. I've had the same happen to me. Scrape the outer mold off, and what's inside seemed to be fine, with only a very faint off-taste. That said, I'll cut a large piece of fresh suet into ~1/2 pound pieces and freeze them, and thaw them out as needed.

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:27 am »
Thanks, can't wait to see if I can tolerate suet or not lol.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk