Author Topic: Insect-eater article  (Read 7441 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Chupo

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Insect-eater article
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:25:07 am »
Is there a source of human-grade, organic insects in the US?  It's something I've thought about trying. I'd probably freeze them first though or at least refrigerate them so they don't squirm.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50:21 am »
Is there a source of human-grade, organic insects in the US?

I'm one step ahead of you: http://edibug.wordpress.com/where-to-get-bugs/.

"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Chupo

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:56:18 am »
I'm one step ahead of you: http://edibug.wordpress.com/where-to-get-bugs/.

Thanks!  Have you tried them? I've heard they have a nutty flavor.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:06:01 am »
Thanks!  Have you tried them? I've heard they have a nutty flavor.

Never tried any insect. I'm drooling over rhinoceros beetle larvae right now! I **apparently** have a low level of "cultural aversion" to eating insects! LOL
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:13:06 pm »
Our ironing lady hails from Ilocos province and they have beetle season where she goes home to eat beetles.

They also sell ants eggs on a regular basis in their markets in Ilocos Norte.

Maybe I should get those ants eggs sent to me on a more regular basis to get insect meat.

Tummy bug: Mr Bickerton said: 'Heart disease is caused by high cholesterol and the only source of cholesterol is saturated fats. Studies show that insects have significantly less saturated fats than other animal meat'

The author of this article hates saturated fat.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:49:20 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 06:54:09 pm »
Just make sure that you know what the insects have been fed on. The notion of eating of eating flies which routinely visit cowpats and the like does not appeal, for example.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 07:59:44 pm »
If the cows have been exclusively grass fed during their whole life and born from grass fed mothers as well, then the flies eating these cowpats, would be fine...   :)
The main problem I see is flies are fond of dog shit, and dogs are fed all kinds of junk. No wonder dog shit dreadfully stinks!

By the way, I had my first batch of bee brood yesterday. I had eaten it only once before and it was coming out from a fridge, nicely conditioned in a neat plastic box.

This time the beekeeper had just left it for me in the open on an old wooden box in front of his gate.  :o It looked like scrap and when I saw it I thought: “Whoah, all those larvae, it’s so disgusting… anyway I finally got it after all these enquiries and driving, I’ve got to proceed, here, right now! Close my eyes and crunch into it!” It was not bad, and I ate the wax along. I was in a village’s street, front of houses and perhaps that’s partly why I dared not to spit the wax. Maybe I also dared not to eat the larvae without the wax and realized too late that this wax didn’t taste good. It took me some time to understand that the thing should be chewed like a chewing gum to extract all the crunched larvae, which have a juicy and sweet taste, after which the wax should be spat. That’s what I finally did.

So, if you happen to get some bee brood, you’ll know directly that the tasty stuff is the larvae and not the wax! When I came home and put the stuff in my fridge, two larvae had fallen off in the cardboard box that I used to transport it in my car. I wasn’t disgusted anymore, so I ate them. Sweet! Hopefully I’ll be able now to eat other kinds of larvae without being repulsed by an irrational disgust… ;)     
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:00:59 pm »
I've not had the opportunity to eat bee brood, but have eaten maggots off wild deer carcasses and eaten beetle larvae I've found while gardening or poking through rotten logs out in the woods.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:50:39 pm »
I'm sorry but I am not eating any animal that feeds on other animals' shit. Call me a prude but there are certain limits I won't cross in life such as coprophilia, bestiality and paedophilia.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 11:56:46 pm »
Locust is actually kosher if anyone cares.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 01:53:02 am »
If the cows have been exclusively grass fed during their whole life and born from grass fed mothers as well, then the flies eating these cowpats, would be fine...   :)
The main problem I see is flies are fond of dog shit, and dogs are fed all kinds of junk. No wonder dog shit dreadfully stinks!

By the way, I had my first batch of bee brood yesterday. I had eaten it only once before and it was coming out from a fridge, nicely conditioned in a neat plastic box.

This time the beekeeper had just left it for me in the open on an old wooden box in front of his gate.  :o It looked like scrap and when I saw it I thought: “Whoah, all those larvae, it’s so disgusting… anyway I finally got it after all these enquiries and driving, I’ve got to proceed, here, right now! Close my eyes and crunch into it!” It was not bad, and I ate the wax along. I was in a village’s street, front of houses and perhaps that’s partly why I dared not to spit the wax. Maybe I also dared not to eat the larvae without the wax and realized too late that this wax didn’t taste good. It took me some time to understand that the thing should be chewed like a chewing gum to extract all the crunched larvae, which have a juicy and sweet taste, after which the wax should be spat. That’s what I finally did.

So, if you happen to get some bee brood, you’ll know directly that the tasty stuff is the larvae and not the wax! When I came home and put the stuff in my fridge, two larvae had fallen off in the cardboard box that I used to transport it in my car. I wasn’t disgusted anymore, so I ate them. Sweet! Hopefully I’ll be able now to eat other kinds of larvae without being repulsed by an irrational disgust… ;)     

When I ate mine, I would scrape the comb with a large spoon, and the brood would be scooped up.    Wax often reused over and over again, hence the darker colors of some old waxes, and is often then not really that tasty as compared to virgin waxes created by the bees.   Here, often the foundation layer is plastic, and the bees build up the walls of the comb from that,, which makes it easy to scape against,, thus returning the frame intact back to the bee keeper to replace in the hive for the bees to clean up and start again.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 12:49:09 am »
I'm sorry but I am not eating any animal that feeds on other animals' shit. Call me a prude but there are certain limits I won't cross in life such as coprophilia, bestiality and paedophilia.

Yeah I don't think there is any such animal. Perhaps horses and camels? I know that goats and cows get very interested in dried bird shit at times. Good source of phosphorous and protein. Poultry can live off of cow shit and this makes for the best damn birds and eggs you will ever eat. Ultra colorful eggs. Ultra vibrant colored flesh and fat.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 11:59:49 am »
Poultry can live off of cow shit and this makes for the best damn birds and eggs you will ever eat. Ultra colorful eggs. Ultra vibrant colored flesh and fat.

Aren't the birds actually eating the bugs in the cow shit, though?

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 03:23:11 am »
Those are the cherries on top and the main thing they are usually going for, but they are still getting plenty big mouthfuls of shit along with the bugs. they are also certainly not by any means above eating manure in the insect free times of year either. I have read that pigs prefer fresh pies that also have not yet had time to grow bugs.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:28:54 am by RogueFarmer »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 11:40:21 am »
I have read that pigs prefer fresh pies that also have not yet had time to grow bugs.

Pigs are not as picky as birds, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk