Author Topic: Vegetarians are 'less healthy and have a lower quality of life than meat-eaters'  (Read 3491 times)

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Vegetarians are less healthy than meat-eaters, a controversial study has concluded, despite drinking less, smoking less and being more physically active than their carnivorous counterparts.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/vegetarians-are-less-healthy-and-have-a-lower-quality-of-life-than-meateaters-scientists-say-9236340.html

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Interesting. I'll withhold judgment until I can read the original study, which is titled "Nutrition and Health–The Association between Eating Behavior and Various Health Parameters: A Matched Sample Study". I can't seem to access it on PLOS One, the journal's website doesn't seem to be working right now.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Interesting. I'll withhold judgment until I can read the original study, which is titled "Nutrition and Health–The Association between Eating Behavior and Various Health Parameters: A Matched Sample Study". I can't seem to access it on PLOS One, the journal's website doesn't seem to be working right now.

If you get access feel free to post it here and copy paste the whole article.

Interesting article. I wouldn't doubt if there's some truth to it. As bad as the SAD is it still would have ample amounts of protein, and at least some fat even if not the highest quality. I also think they get more sodium than vegetarians who likely abstain all together from salt, which helps too. Despite the debate about salt here, it doesn't change that sodium and chloride are essential nutrients needed for the proper functioning of all the cells in the body (not looking to steer this thread off topic). A lot of the vegetarians I've met have very poor posture, and tend to be highly over-emotional about certain things - like animal rights, eating animals, and eating animals.. Lol
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:42:17 am by DaBoss88 »
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
The link works for me:

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0088278&representation=PDF

The problem with this studies is that noone takes into account the quality of food. Meat is meat for them and it does not make a difference if it was fried or raw, organic or industrial. I wish there were more studies comparing SAD and raw fooders, instead of vegans vs omnivors.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
The problem with this studies is that no one takes into account the quality of food...

Bingo. Most nutrition and medical researchers are held captive so tightly by their reductionist paradigm that they're just about living in the dark ages. I've tried to talk to researchers at the University of Vermont where I teach about this issue, but it just goes over their head. They plain don't get it.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
" Moreover, vegetarians have a
lower quality of life regarding ‘‘social relationships’’ than
individuals eating a carnivorous diet rich in fruits and vegetables"

Totally saw that coming lol. Hard to have friends when all you do is bicker about how someone's killing a cow.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
" Moreover, vegetarians have a
lower quality of life regarding ‘‘social relationships’’ than
individuals eating a carnivorous diet rich in fruits and vegetables"

Totally saw that coming lol. Hard to have friends when all you do is bicker about how someone's killing a cow.
Gotta be careful about getting too high on a perch 'cause the vege's probably laugh about us looking like a bunch of lions fighting over a bloody mass of meat.  ;D
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk