Author Topic: Hawaii  (Read 6846 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Hawaii
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:27:20 am »
My girl friend and I are going to Hawaii for ten days, and I am wondering about what to do about food.

I was wondering about using the trip as an opportunity to try new things. I was thinking about bringing a few pounds of lamb fat as a reserve, and then try to live primarily on fresh sea food, tropical produce, and coconuts.

I could use some advise on what would be the best seafood for a high fat raw paleo dieter, like myself, to try while in hawaii?
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:02:12 am »
What island are you going to? I live in Maui. I have access to grass fed beef only though. The grass here is so green though its beautiful. Fruit is really easy to get of course although. I have only been here for about two months so I don't have as much connections as I would like.

Gnawing on bones.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:07:52 am »
by law you can't bring raw meat or fat to Hawaii, so hide it well and do not declare any food.  you can only bring packaged or processed food.  we stayed at Waikiki and there was nothing local, the same old packaged, canned, and processed from the mainland.  i heard they don't even grow pineapples anymore.  maybe at other places it's different.

I also don't like the whole Caribbean region for that reason.  In Belize, they actually go through bags.  I was lucky they did not look at my last bag where I put dried meat and fat.  Other Caribbean islands are not as strict but they may go through bags selectively.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:17:09 am »
YS is correct.  Some other messed up laws: By law restaurants can't cook with saturated fats. Raw milk is illegal.
They give you a pamphlet to fill out during the flight that asks you what your bringing to the island. I put a fake name and fake everything on it so don't worry about that.

Maui has a lot more fruit access than some of the other islands from what I hear and its still not entirely easy to get ripe fruit.
Gnawing on bones.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 10:28:55 am »
Been twice in the last few months...  brought my own meat, no problem, just don't declare it.   But ahead of time,  look in the yellow pages for butchers and ask where to find grass fed meat/lamb.   Some of the best beef I've ever had.   I also made connections to get fat trimmings.   Their ahi is good too.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 10:41:23 am »
Which island do you go to Van? If a few then whats your favorite?
Gnawing on bones.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 02:26:18 pm »
Surely there must be tons of sea food in Hawaii!
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:36:23 am »
   Right now, I'm going to North Kohala on the big island, not so many tourists...

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 08:26:43 am »
Eat tons of raw seafood. Tuna, swordfish, etc.., whatever you enjoy.  Fresh coconuts too, they're wonderful.

I'd avoid fruit.  You've been low-carb for so long that I think it would be a shock to your system.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 05:26:36 am »
@ Van. I have heard about that place and look forward to going there soon. Have you ever been to Hana Maui?

Gnawing on bones.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 09:49:33 am »
many times...  the last time, it was overcast, and it had lost it's magicalness for me.   Red sands beach, the open volcano to the sea, unless in full sun, was dull and the water was murky..    I think with Hana you have to know locals who can get you into the wild, or just start hiking. 

Offline tropoman

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 08:28:19 am »
this is probably too late for you, but others may benefit. i live in honokaa on
the big island. we have the best local grass-fed meat store, and it's cheap
($3 a pound). if you get to honokaa, ask for the meat store, or contact me
somehow.
gibby

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk