Author Topic: How serious is egg sensitivity?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
How serious is egg sensitivity?
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:47:35 pm »
I love eating eggs, I could eat them all day. Sometimes I eat a dozen at once. When I eat too many cooked eggs, I get a mild headache and runs. When I eat raw eggs, no headache but my ears turn dark red and get a little itchy. Are these reactions doing serious damage to my body? Should I just give them up altogether? Should I ditch the whites and just have the yolks? I get  organic eggs, I've even tried eggs that were not fed any soy, but still fed on cornmeal. I've tried cooked duck and quail eggs, but I don't remember if I  had enough to trigger a reaction.
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How serious is egg sensitivity?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:55:46 pm »
When I eat cooked egg whites, regardless of source, for many days in a row my lips start to chap and then peel (and bleed if it gets bad) for as long as I continue to eat cooked egg whites.  Its the same symptom and reaction I get from eating things like mangos and pineapple, although with those I get terrible swelling first and then nonstop peeling.  I don't experience any other symptoms that I can tell but its enough to keep me away from eating cooked egg whites.   The times I have cooked whites is when I have felt "guilty" about throwing out the whites.  I only eat raw whites every so often, they do not appeal to me. I have eaten raw whites that were still warm out of the chicken and they taste really gross.  When I stop eating cooked egg whites my lips heal up almost overnight, maybe two days max.

I can eat a few raw yolks a day without experiencing any symptoms.  I don't ever eat more then 3-4 because I don't have an unlimited supply, but up to that amount I have never had any issues.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:39:30 pm »
I have a slight food-intolerance to raw eggs. If I overindulge in them, I soon stop digesting them properly and they just swiftly go out the other end. I have found that raw quail eggs and raw goose eggs do not give me any problems.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:31:31 pm »
Interesting, my lips peel all the time, I never thought it was related to eggs. My limit is about the same, 4-5 eggs won't give me an issue. I think I will find some duck eggs and experiment. My diet is already so restrictive, giving up all eggs would be devastating.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:36:08 pm »
don't eat any eggs for a or two week and then reintroduce raw yolks.  see how you feel and feel how you feel :)

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 01:35:17 am »
I would give just the yolks a try. I've always had issues with cooked eggs. I went over 10 years avoiding them because I would get EXPLOSIVE you-know-what within minutes of eating them. But, that was also a quality issue - once I got organic, pasture-raised eggs, I didn't have that problem. At least, not the bathroom problem, I would still get minimal digestive discomfort.

Now, I just eat raw egg yolk and I usually don't have any issues at all. I say usually because every once in a while, I will have a slight discomfort like my stomach is bubbling. The very first time I had egg yolks, I felt slightly nauseous. I'm not sure why, though. It wasn't a psychological thing because they tasted AMAZING to me. I don't get any other symptoms, though, so I haven't considered if there's any dangers to continuing to eat them.

Also, I don't really feel bad about dumping the whites. The mass majority of the nutrients and all of the Vitamins are in the yolk, so unless you do some baking recipes that call for whites (fat chance on this forum lol), I wouldn't feel bad. Unless you can save them for someone I suppose.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 03:08:01 am »
I did a little research and there are two issues that I think might be at play here. One is that when the eggs are unfertilized they have a much higher level of some protein that causes an autoimmune reaction in the gut. The other is the fact that the viruses that are used in vaccines are incubated in chicken eggs. Apparently some traces of the egg are left in the vaccine and people who were vaccinated have developed some level of immune sensitivity to chicken eggs, ranging from full-blown allergy to unnoticeable. When I stop eating eggs for a while and then have them again I react much worse, but I build up a tolerance quickly. I think I will just stop buying them and have eggs socially if I go out or serve guests. I've quit eggs before when I was taking zero carb to the extreme definition, I lasted about a year. I don't think its very paleo either because finding unfertilized eggs would have been rare in those days, and of course vaccines did not exist.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 03:13:35 am »
I did a little research and there are two issues that I think might be at play here. One is that when the eggs are unfertilized they have a much higher level of some protein that causes an autoimmune reaction in the gut. The other is the fact that the viruses that are used in vaccines are incubated in chicken eggs. Apparently some traces of the egg are left in the vaccine and people who were vaccinated have developed some level of immune sensitivity to chicken eggs, ranging from full-blown allergy to unnoticeable. When I stop eating eggs for a while and then have them again I react much worse, but I build up a tolerance quickly. I think I will just stop buying them and have eggs socially if I go out or serve guests. I've quit eggs before when I was taking zero carb to the extreme definition, I lasted about a year. I don't think its very paleo either because finding unfertilized eggs would have been rare in those days, and of course vaccines did not exist.

Interesting. I was just pondering on a similar idea - unfertilized eggs are unnatural. I always wondered if fertilized eggs would be much more delicious, and I imagine they could be because you're never going to get anything else in the wild. The vaccine thing is interesting, though. I assume someone is going to have a better comment to make on that than me, though.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 03:33:27 am »
There have been tens of threads about eggs on this forum. For example this one.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk