Author Topic: Stem Cell meat on its way  (Read 6135 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Stem Cell meat on its way
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:09:52 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2634064/Could-stem-cell-BURGERS-hit-supermarket-shelves-Scientists-want-build-factories-manufacture-cultured-minced-meat.html

I seriously doubt that this technology will ever attain the nutrient content of raw, grassfed or wild meats, but who knows, if the majority of the world's morons eat this cr*p, maybe grassfed meat prices etc. will  not rise.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Stem Cell meat on its way
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:51:19 pm »
If the substrate that it's grown in has sufficient minerals, and the cells can uptake those minerals sufficiently, then yes, they can definitely have similar nutrient profiles to the best grassfeed meat. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 08:38:23 pm »
If the substrate that it's grown in has sufficient minerals, and the cells can uptake those minerals sufficiently, then yes, they can definitely have similar nutrient profiles to the best grassfeed meat. 
  There are too many unknown factors in nature such as missing enzymes etc. which will make all the difference. I used to be assured, for example, that ascorbic acid was "exactly like" natural vitamin C since it shared the same chemical formula, but my own experimentation showed that such a claim was nonsense as I did far better on natural vitamin C content in foods.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Andy Chow

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 12:12:10 pm »
I seriously doubt the viability of such a method from an economic point of view. Cows grow themselves, eating grass that grows freely. These methods require very expensive equipment, chemicals and personnel. People claim that with time it will become cheaper. Maybe. After all, people do feed cattle grains that have to be harvested rather than just grass.

Seriously, it's like people, even "rich" people that have fancy homes and expensive cars, couldn't care less about the food they eat. I see women with $1000+ purses not willing to spend $0.10 more a pound for organic vegetables.

I would rather starve than eat meat that was grown in a laboratory setting. I'm saying this, and yet I eat mushrooms that are probably grown using similar methods. It just seems so wrong. We are going in the wrong direction. Richer, yet not wiser.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:06:08 am »
It would be trivially easy to test the health effects of this meat.  Simply feed a few generations of some fast-reproducing animals like rats, cats, etc. on grassfed meat versus this stem-cell meat, and see what the health differences are between the groups.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 08:32:00 am »
It would be trivially easy to test the health effects of this meat.  Simply feed a few generations of some fast-reproducing animals like rats, cats, etc. on grassfed meat versus this stem-cell meat, and see what the health differences are between the groups.

Yeah, like the scientist who make this stuff are going to test it aginst grass fed meat.

Does anyone know of a study that put grass fed vs. GMO grain Finished,

If not, then it is about time, with the growth in interrest in grass fed, it should be easy to fund a feeding study. 
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:59:07 am »
Yeah, like the scientist who make this stuff are going to test it aginst grass fed meat.

If not, then it is about time, with the growth in interrest in grass fed, it should be easy to fund a feeding study. 

People are far more suspicious of stem cell meat than grain-fed.  There will most definitely be multiple animal studies before people will be willing to eat it. this I guarantee.  The companies that produce it will have no other way to get people to buy it.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 10:51:53 am »
I don't know,, all it takes is one talk show host trying it, saying it tastes good, and for it to be lower in sat. fat than grain or grass fed....

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 12:52:01 pm »
People are far more suspicious of stem cell meat than grain-fed. 

Well, it won't be called stem cell meat. When I look at a modern-day food label, I realize that "they" will invent a name that completely masks its origin. Or "they" will inject some stem-cell meat DNA into a kernel of corn and call it a plant-based food.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 02:18:12 pm »

eatwild.com has a scientific section where scientific comparisons are made between grassfed and grainfed meat re average  nutrient-levels etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 06:39:05 am »
People are far more suspicious of stem cell meat than grain-fed.  There will most definitely be multiple animal studies before people will be willing to eat it. this I guarantee.  The companies that produce it will have no other way to get people to buy it.

Perhaps in todays world people wont buy it , but just wait... if the price of food doubles and there is no other meat availible, because agenda 21 has shut down all the ranching operations, and family farms, people will eat it!
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk