Author Topic: Temporary Sleeping Aid?  (Read 6022 times)

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Temporary Sleeping Aid?
« on: June 01, 2014, 03:25:29 pm »
What would be the best thing to take to aid in sleep. Like a sleeping pill, but obviously not. I've heard that melatonin supplements are very bad especially if you take them often. I'm just looking for something that can aid in falling asleep (magnesium isn't enough) for my boyfriend. He itches a lot while his skin is healing and it impairs his sleep. I'm afraid that the lack of sleep is impairing the healing. It's a vicious cycle. So what would be a good temporary sleeping aid? If there isn't one, that's fine too. Just need an honest answer. Thanks. :)
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Temporary Sleeping Aid?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »
I find that listening to a youtube sleep hypnosis video works well, as does tuning a radio in between stations so that it just makes static white noise.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 11:11:47 pm »
egg yolks before sleeping, but only if you're hungry enough to digest them.   

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:43:27 pm »
When I can't sleep (which is very seldom since I eat raw paleo) I get up, suck a few cassia fistula discs, then go back to bed and sleep. 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:03:18 am »
Vitamin D works wonders for me.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 02:22:30 pm »
imo, melatonin pills are fine as long as you only use them very occasionally. Long-term use means that the body starts reducing its own melatonin production and also the effectiveness of the melatonin pills wears out over time as the body gets used to them.

I would suggest either lots of heavy exercise prior to sleep, or take passion flower or valerian herbs prior to sleeping. There is also this practice called "sleep-hacking", though I am not sure if it really works.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 05:11:45 am »
Get a boring book and read it in bed. Math and science textbooks from school are perfect for this. Any sciency book will do. The more formulas,references, and definitions, the better. Works every time, guaranteed. Just keep at it until your eyes start crossing the words on the page, then shut the lights and knock out. Be careful, this is a powerful method. I often fall asleep with the book still in the bed so soft-cover would be ideal.

Getting good sun during the day and keeping lights very low for an hour before bed is helpful too. TV, tablets, and phones before bed are too bright. At least for me, cell phone radiation has the effect of making me drowsy during the day and keeping me up or waking me up at night. So try turning off all your phones, wifi routers, etc. an hour before bed. It should help.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:20:32 am by edmon171 »
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline modernpaleoperson

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 04:56:25 pm »
You could consider trying phosphatidyl serine.
My experience with it is that it makes you REALLY sleepy, so I never take it when I need to drive somewhere (and tbh - I don't take it at all).
I used soy free PS in 150 mg (60 Tablets) manufactured by Now Foods. Yet I'm not sure whether the fatty acids in the PS molecules in this supplement are hydrogenated or not, so I guess you would need to inquire the manufacturer to be sure if your're into avoiding trans fats just as much as I am (and I dont think thats being overly cautious since it is a fact that hydrogenated phospholipids are available on the B2B market).
Hope this helps.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 05:42:57 am »
A strong cup of chamomile tea is what I use to help me sleep.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline primalgirl

• Trapper
  • Love Raw Primal/Paleo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 06:08:06 am »
A raw (of course) egg works in about 20 minutes for me.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 08:38:07 pm »
Play the sound of the sea shore... as if you were by the beach.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk