Author Topic: raw butter vs raw double cream  (Read 2609 times)

moringa82

raw butter vs raw double cream
« on: June 13, 2014, 04:16:53 am »
which is better for gaining muscle mass?

isnt butter a more concentrated cream?

double cream = 50% fat
butter = 80% fat

or there are other nutritional differences between these two?

can butter and/ or double cream be eaten with meat/organs? i read somewhere that milkdairy is not ok to combine with meat products.. i dont know if its true.... i THINK Aajonus recommended eating butter with meat, right?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: raw butter vs raw double cream
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 04:49:28 am »
isnt butter a more concentrated cream?

Cream is the "top" of milk - the fat that rises to the top of milk that is left to settle.

When cream is churned, lumps of fat form. That's the butter, which contains most of the fat and just a little of the milk solids and moisture. (The leftover after churning is buttermilk, which contains just a little fat plus a lot of solids and moisture.)

So basically, cream = butter + buttermilk.

P.S. Buttermilk sold as "cultured buttermilk" has not been through the churning process. It's made by adding bacteria to milk, sort of like yogurt or kefir.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 06:28:47 am »
So basically, cream = butter + buttermilk.

P.S. Buttermilk sold as "cultured buttermilk" has not been through the churning process. It's made by adding bacteria to milk, sort of like yogurt or kefir.
That's the modern way of making "cultured buttermilk." There are a couple of Vermont farms that sell traditional cultured buttermilk locally. They churn butter and make cultured buttermilk from the liquid that's left after the churned butter is removed. Some Irish folk call it bonny clabber (bainne clábair).

Whey water was another traditional Irish dairy beverage, according to A. T. LUCAS in Irish Food before the Potato.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:41:59 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

moringa82

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 02:12:02 pm »
so which one is best to gain muscle mass?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 07:23:45 pm »
If you read bodybuilding books and forums, you'll find the whey fraction of milk touted as the best for bodybuilding, and lots of bodybuilding powders containing whey. How true it is, I don't know. There are also people here who say that no dairy is good for anyone, and others say that only raw dairy is good. In the end it comes down to whatever works for you.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 01:24:30 am »
Now that you know the similarities and differences between butter and cream, if you think there will be a difference in your muscle-building results, try one for about 6 weeks, then the other for about 6 weeks... or whatever amount of time you choose. Your choice might also be based on which one fits into your eating style. Or you might like variety, so get some milk fat from cream and some from butter.

Also, amounts of protein and carbs play heavily in muscle building. If you set your protein level and daily calories to your activity level, you can play around with the fat/carb ratio and see which works the best for you. You really can't guarantee results with somebody else's ideas - that's why you can get conflicting advice if you look around at what others are doing. Read up, but the final answer is what works for you.

Finally, a lot also depends on your body composition and metabolism. For example, I know two brothers, and one of them effortlessly maintains about 11% body fat no matter what he eats, while the other has to be very particular about his meals in order to stay strong and lean and still never gets under 18% body fat.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk