Author Topic: FED UP!  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
FED UP!
« on: June 16, 2014, 06:37:03 pm »
A few days ago I saw the newly released documentary Fed Up at a local theater. Very well done! It doesn't specifically advocate raw foods or any sort of diet, but does a great job showing the ties between the junk food industry and USDA and linking the politics of junk food to various health epidemics - particularly obesity - in the United States. I thought the film so well done that I reviewed it on my blog: It's the Sugar, Stupid: A Review of the Documentary 'Fed Up'.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: FED UP!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:52:27 am »
Speaking of USDA, does anyone know if GMO produce can be labeled 'Organic'?

The reason I'm asking is strawberries at TJ labeled 'Organic' look like regular conventional GMO stuff - all huge and pretty.  While strawberries from Amish are small and ugly.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 03:22:54 am »

The reason I'm asking is strawberries at TJ labeled 'Organic' look like regular conventional GMO stuff - all huge and pretty.  While strawberries from Amish are small and ugly.

I can vouch that the organic, local strawberries from the Farmers Market are much deeper red, HUGE in comparison, and delicious compared to conventional. They are enormous. Go by taste though - conventional berries are ALWAYS too sour for me. I never ate berries as a kid because we always got conventional. The ones we get from the market are delicious and sweet, super juicy.

I asked the guy how he gets them to be so big and delicious, and he replied with a smile, "You just have to treat and feed the plants right." I thought it was cute.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 06:40:44 am »
It's a varietal thing. Some varieties produce small berries while others produce large. It has little to do with soil quality, although farmers who grow larger varieties will claim as much.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:15:40 am »

Says the USDA, "The use of genetic engineering, or genetically modified organisms (GMOs), is prohibited in organic products. This means an organic farmer can’t plant GMO seeds, an organic cow can’t eat GMO alfalfa or corn, and an organic soup producer can’t use any GMO ingredients. To meet the USDA organic regulations, farmers and processors must show they aren’t using GMOs and that they are protecting their products from contact with prohibited substances, such as GMOs, from farm to table." http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/05/17/organic-101-can-gmos-be-used-in-organic-products/

Don't confuse GMO with non-genetic plant breeding. Non-genetic plant breeding has occurred since the dawn of agriculture.

Genetic modification involves the mutation, insertion, or deletion of genes.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:18:46 am »
Yes, organic means absolutely no GMO's can be used. However, there are certain "safe" pesticides that are allowed to be used and they can still label organic.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk