Author Topic: Silica from sand?  (Read 1748 times)

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Silica from sand?
« on: July 05, 2014, 02:06:54 am »
When I was a small child I used to eat sand, repeatedly (also chalk and this stony white foamy-looking construction block and egg shells)... probably rather common thing but now silica got my attention and, well, sand is silicon dioxide...
Tried googling this a bit but didn't find anything satisfying at all. The little I found says toddlers/children are curious and experiencing new things. But then why would some, like I did, eat it over an extended period and basically whenever they can? (Though eventually I stopped.) Curiosity and experience, or simply like the texture as some explain it? I rather highly doubt that. I'm more inclined toward silica deficiency from "normal" foods, assuming you can get it from sand...

Wondering if anyone has some info on this and whether you can get silica from eating sand.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Silica from sand?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 04:46:39 am »
I think toddlers are by Nature designed to eat things like sand in order to ensure they get enough bacteria to prime their immune systems.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Silica from sand?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:27:56 am »
What you are referring to is Geophagy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk