Author Topic: Drinking water after a meal  (Read 6192 times)

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Drinking water after a meal
« on: August 06, 2014, 12:54:07 am »
How long do you guys usually wait to drink water after a meal? i usually wait about an hour.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Drinking water after a meal
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 01:50:23 am »
It has finally reached me that I eat far too much precisely because I drink water after or during a meal. It is a bad idea and should be avoided as it tends to weight-gain.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 02:02:55 am »
I don't watch the clock when it comes to drinking water. I drink when I am thirsty. That's not to say that I wait for extreme thirst either. See what happens when you let your appetite and thirst work the way nature intended.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 02:52:52 am »
I drink anytime I want, to meals, in between meals.... my belly is happy  :)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 03:46:29 am »
Drinking during or soon after a meal dilutes the digestive juices and hampers digestion, therefore we should drink before a meal.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:44:59 am »
Drinking during or soon after a meal dilutes the digestive juices and hampers digestion, therefore we should drink before a meal.

Thanks for the reply! Im still wondering how long after a meal people wait to drink water. like 1,2,3 hours?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 02:30:45 pm »
For me it varies according to how thirsty I feel, the amount and type of food I ate in the meal and how much water I drink.

Anyway, this is just a rough advice, not an absolute law.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:31:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply! Im still wondering how long after a meal people wait to drink water. like 1,2,3 hours?

Modern society has made many rules about eating and drinking. There is nothing inherently wrong with rules, except that our global community can be aware of all the conflicting rules.

Try taking yourself back to paleolithic man - no clocks, no running water - and think about what this person would do about thirst. This person would know where to find water, although potable water might not be available 24/7, so there might be times during the day of thirst with no water and times of available water with no thirst.

Do you think that drinking water by the clock is what paleolithic man did? If you say, "no," then you probably don't have to drink water by the clock, either.

You can extrapolate this scenario to the question of drinking water during mealtimes, but bear in mind that eating unprocessed foods with their own undenatured moisture content doesn't make one thirsty while eating the way that a burger and fries does.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk