Author Topic: Getting a butchered lamb! What to do?!  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Taz

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Getting a butchered lamb! What to do?!
« on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:49 pm »
Well i ordered a butchered lamb and i will get heart, liver, kidneys and fat. It will arrive soon. I've never tried this raw meat thing before more than eating some steak tartar and eating some raw beef. I dont really know what to do with all the meat and intestines? Hang/store it in some way in the fridge i guess but how long will it be good for? I dont have a very big fridge and i've heard freezing makes it taste worse. And i guess i will have my troubles with the taste in the beginning, so making it worse wont be good. Weird thing i once ate a raw lamb chop, wasn't bad but can't say it tasted great. Then i tried cooking it quickly on the outside, wich made it turn blue on the inside. I thought it would be more juicy like a stake but it made it taste worse and i couldn't finish it.

So and tips on how to store it and how long it will be good for?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:45:21 pm by Taz »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a butchered lamb! What to do?!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:13:31 am »
I've been buying whole lamb lately. I get it quartered (4 pieces) plus a bag of the stomach intestines and a bag of all the other offal (lungs, heart, etc). I cut each quarter in half so each piece will fit hanging in my fridge - so basically, cut it to fit. I use S-hooks from the hardware store for hanging. The lamb is good for as long as the lamb lasts - about a month - six weeks at my house. I eat the offal the first week, keeping the pieces on a plate, exposed to air, in the fridge. I use a good knife and a hacksaw to cut the lamb. Find a good Youtube video if you need cutting help to identify the pieces, but it's pretty obvious.

I have to pick my lamb up at the ranch, about a 2 hour drive. It's worth it, both in terms of price and flavor!
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:56:54 am »
to cut the lamb we use a cut off saw, battery driven.  It's so so easy this way.  They aren't that expensive and well worth the cost. 

Offline Taz

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:37:07 am »
Got the intestines today, heart, kidneys and liver. The farmer told me to rinse them first. I put them in the fridge. The liver in one box and the heart and kidneys in one.

Should i have the lid on? I can see a bit of blood coming out of the heart laying on the bottom. Should i dry that out?

My girlfriend is not into this raw thing so if i keep them in the fridge. Will she still be able to cook them after a long time?

To be honest, touring the suet didn't make me hungry.. :)
Dont know how this will go. Well worst case i will have to cook them i guess. I tore the suet in little parts and froze them in little boxes, do i need to rinse that aswell? Also what should i start to eat? I'm new to this and the liver and fat seemed like the worst. Gonna get a few more hearts so thinking about smoking them so they will keep.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:33:12 am by Taz »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 11:10:37 pm »
to cut the lamb we use a cut off saw, battery driven.  It's so so easy this way.  They aren't that expensive and well worth the cost. 

Van, I'm not sure what a cut off saw is. What brand/model saw do you use?
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk