Author Topic: Brewer's Yeast and Soy Lecithin  (Read 9405 times)

Offline feral

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Brewer's Yeast and Soy Lecithin
« on: December 09, 2010, 03:18:26 pm »
Does anyone know anything about these? I can't imagine they're paleo, hence the hot topics forum, but since implementing them into my diet, I've experienced significantly less cramping. Cramping has generally been the only health issue that seems to have been created by switching to predominantly paleo, and I remember reading about others on this forum having the same issue. I tried adding sea salt and azomite with little benefit, although I still take both.

For the record, I mix the yeast and lecithin in with raw milk, and let it sit for at least a half hour before drinking it. I had to cut raw milk out of my diet completely for a year, but have since reintroduced it after my gut has healed from eating predominantly RAF.

Any insights or research from a paleo perspective would be appreciated.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Brewer's Yeast and Soy Lecithin
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 04:33:48 pm »
Well, I experimented with brewer's yeast and soy lecithin pre-rawpalaeodiet and they were utterly useless to me, though I did not notice a drop in health, as such, from taking them. Part of the reason, I suspect, is that most such products are almost always very highly processed but also the nutrients were in forms that my body couldn't absorb. I did far better on raw animal foods which were also high in B vitamins and the like.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 06:25:55 pm »
Don't egg yolks have lecithin in them?

If you are gonna take yeast then don't eat brewers yeast, go get some "Nutritional Yeast" AKA “Engevita yeast” AKA “Bio-yeast...
Its not so unhealthy its what saves most poor vegans from actually dying ha ha ha - they eat the Nutritional yeast to get B12 and other beneficial stuff.
I have some of the stuff and its deep yellow, nutty - cheese-like flavor, much more tasty then brewer's yeast, I rarely have it but its absolutely delicious when I do have some, I'll randomly sprinkle it on meat or salad or eat a little just like that but its more for fun then as a supplement. Although I am sure its pretty good to use once in a while, just don't overdo it.

When my cats were having a hard time accepting raw meat (they eat it well now) I got them to eat it by sprinkling the yeast all over their meat, even my picky cats love the taste.

Its true the yeast may be processed you have to research which one to buy, some are better then others, the one I have I have in a glass jar for like 5 years now so I have no idea which brand that was, its still good though...I never had it in the fridge once.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:40:43 am »
    I'd say raw egg yolk, never been frozen liver/fish/chicken/pork, and green juices may help you with cramping.  What kind of cramping are you experiencing?

I bought lecithin a couple of times.  It was hard to eat because of the flavor and I normally just let it go to waste instead of using the stuff, unless I was breastfeeding and desperately needed the nutrients.  The soy of course is not paleo, raw, NH or anything else reminiscent of RPD or related diets.

I think brewer's yeast tastes disgusting in milk, alone or in most juices, but then I hate the smell of beer and that yeast is from beer brewing remains that they can't feed to cows without making their milk bad (or is that whisky mash remains).  It's amazing how many vitamin supplents come from stuff that used to be discarded by industry.  Lewis Labs and RedStar nutritional yeast tastes much better.  I think it's grown on molasses or beets instead of from grain.  It is a highly processed product and even the B12 is added to it, I don't know the specific B12 source, I just know it's not yeast.  Yeast supplements should probably be kept away from most light to conserve the Bs from breaking down/expiring, I don't think temperature matters.  Yeast has a lot of B2 riboflavin in it, and that's one vitamin I have never had a deficiency in, so yeast isn't all that good for me.  I have used quite a bit of yeast nutritional supplements, first time I was a small child.  Molasses and beets too aren't really paleo, and yeast in general I don't think is ever considered true paleo.

The azomite isn't helping your cramping, but is it helping anything else?

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline feral

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 05:03:49 am »
Thanks for the responses.

The cramping I'm talking about is just muscle cramps in general, particularly after working out. I think it might be related to lack of glucose, since I'm fairly low carb compared to what I used to be, and it is worst after a few days of high activity. I bicycle commute, and after 60 miles in a few days, if I didn't get enough carbs, my muscles are very prone to cramping. Of course there are various vitamins and minerals than can cause this as well, all of which would give similar symptoms if I was getting some in my diet, but not enough to keep up with intense activity.

So, Tyler, I don't think it is related to B vitamins. I do eat a decent amount of mixed organ meat (3/10 of a pound per day on average), as well as 2 pounds of high fat ground beef. (All from Slankers, somewhat similar to Lex's diet from a while back, I assume he still does something like that).

Re: brewer's yeast - I'm sorry, that was a misnomer. I actually do have the Lewis labs nutritional yeast. I can't say I love the taste, but both dissolve fairly well in the raw milk, so I don't have issues with the flavor or texture of the lecithin either.

RawZi - the 'never been frozen' part of your recommendation might be a problem. The food I get is mail order from slanker's, and I haven't been able to find something around Northern CA that I can afford to go pick up myself.

Raw egg yolk might help too though, I'll give that a try. I used to drink whole eggs, but I think there must've been something to the idea that there is too much avidin in the whites, because it always started causing problems after a few days.

Just checked wikipedia too, and looks like yuli was right about egg yolks having lecithin as well. Wish I'd known that before buying the soy stuff. I'm not at all a fan of using soy for anything. I think that bottle will be hitting the trash in about 2 minutes.

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:51:10 pm »
Sodium and potassium imbalances can cause cramping after exertion.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 10:53:23 pm »
RawZi - the 'never been frozen' part of your recommendation might be a problem. The food I get is mail order from slanker's, and I haven't been able to find something around Northern CA that I can afford to go pick up myself.

Raw egg yolk might help too though, I'll give that a try. I used to drink whole eggs, but I think there must've been something to the idea that there is too much avidin in the whites, because it always started causing problems after a few days.

Just checked wikipedia too, and looks like yuli was right about egg yolks having lecithin as well. Wish I'd known that before buying the soy stuff. I'm not at all a fan of using soy for anything.

I prefer now to drink the whole eggs, rather than just the yolk.  The yolks are where the lecithin is though.  I've been getting most of the eggs I'm eating never having been refrigerated for almost a year now.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Sally

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 08:58:56 am »
Sodium and potassium imbalances can cause cramping after exertion.

Magnesium plays a role in sodium potassium balance.  One symptom of magnesium insuffiency is muscle cramping.  Taking epsom salt baths has been shown to raise serum magnesium levels.  My muscles feel much stronger since i have been taking epsom salt baths and occasionally adding a dash of magnesium chloride to my raw milk or dronking water.
<<<<Biting is not the Answer>>>>>

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk