Author Topic: the alchemy of eating  (Read 6675 times)

coconinoz

the alchemy of eating
« on: December 22, 2008, 01:58:01 pm »

if i'm posting this now it is as a consequence of what i wrote previously about the saliva issue & eating style -- i created my own domino effect

on dec 8 i wrote in another thread:
some forum members here were advocating the bolting eating style... as a time saving strategy!; this made no sense in my mind, something i mentioned in 1 of my earlier posts on this board
eventually, though, i came across the saliva issue & this led me to switch over to the bolting style, which is what i'm still practicing

so?
i recently concluded my bolting down experiment, which lasted 2 months, because it did not turn out to be advantageous to me; thus now i've reverted to mincing & chewing thoroughly all my food (= land or sea meat)
{i've also discontinued the daily (glucose & fructose containing) egg regime, which was held during the very same 2 months > i'm now a member of the raw 0 carb club}

what do i find in the chewing eating style for raw meat that i did not find in the bolting down?

~ a more conscious & timefull relationship w/ the animal along w/ all the bugs, plants, microorganisms in its trophic niche
~ full satisfaction of my body & mind
these 2 points are condensed in the title of 1 of paul shepard's books the tender carnivore & the sacred game
~ better processed toilet productions: not so much greenish fluid stuff + floating pieces, but now brown cylinders
~ the saliva issue:

gradually, i began developing a feeling that soon after starting to eat a land or sea meat meal my saliva ph changes to optimize itself for the task on hand

i also got into thinking that the amylase in human saliva may, or may not, help w/ the breakdown of the glycogen in dietary muscle meat or liver

googling some more on saliva i found out that the human saliva is not too alkaline -- as the hardline 0 carb articles would like me to believe -- but usually ranges in ph from 6.5 to 7.5 & may get up to 8.5 for a while 2 hrs after eating only to drop back down soon

see:
http://www.jupiterionizer.com/saliva_urine_ph_testing.htm
http://biomedx.com/pH/page3.html
http://www.enotes.com/science-fact-finder/human-body/what-normal-ph-blood-urine-saliva
http://jdr.iadrjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/16/5/409

all this led me to understand why people like to finish their meals w/ dessert: sugars are acidic > they may lower the saliva & stomach ph, which works to ease proteolysis & lipolysis
(???)

myself, i dress, just prior to consumption, all my dietary meats w/ a brine dispensed w/ a dropper; besides, only drink non-calcified water both 30 min before eating & 3-4 hrs after finishing eating

coconinoz

Re: the alchemy of eating
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:06:05 pm »

yet another advantage of the chewing eating style for a raw meat eater:
the temp of my food becomes optimized within my mouth while i'm chewing -- what a charm!

Offline Waungata

• Trapper
  • Neander Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:58:50 pm »
Coconinoz,

As a raw vegan and having practiced Victoria Boutenko's book, "Green for Life," I have much experience with acidic saliva and rotted teeth. Nothing I did as a raw vegan corrected the condition, not even green smoothies, except for drinking fizzies made of lemon juice and baking soda. And that was immediately afterward and short-lived. My teeth continued to get clearer and eventually the clear spots disintegrated. They were also very tender around the gums. Since going raw paleo, they look somewhtat better and feel a whole lot better.

I don't have test strips handy at the moment but last I checked, my saliva was alkaline. Green smoothies never did anything for my saliva's alkalinity in the long run, only temporarily. After everything I'd read, I couldn't believe it when I saw that eatiyng raw meat actuallly made my saliva alkaline!

As for lower stomach pH, anything made from wheat will make my stomach so acidic that
I'll vomit. In that regard, wheat's not good for teeth either.

coconinoz

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:58:10 am »

what is your eating style, waungata: bolting or chewing?

Offline Waungata

• Trapper
  • Neander Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 04:31:19 pm »

what is your eating style, waungata: bolting or chewing?

Coconinoz,

I bolt, chew, or do a combo of taking a bite, taking a couple chews, and swalling. I suppose it's relative to and when I'm eating what.

Offline Furion

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:37:29 pm »
I chop all my raw meat into cube sized pieces and then just swallow them whole without chewing...

Have you tried chewing a tough piece of raw meat like a chuck steak?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 08:32:38 pm »
Have you tried chewing a tough piece of raw meat like a chuck steak?

I was in the province of Palawan and was surprised to find local beef.  I bought it to try it out.  I was going to eat it in my hotel room and I realized I had no scissors with me.  So I tried biting and biting to no avail.  What worked was for me to put my saliva on the part I wanted to eat, wait about 2 minutes then bite off that part.  Seems my saliva helps me bite off tough muscle meat.  Now I know why they say the chiefs wanted the liver or the heart, they are so much easier to eat raw.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Carnál

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 12:00:35 pm »
The saliva thing sounds like another winner.  I will try it and see what happens.  I know a Primal Dieter who does something like that too, but she then lets it sit longer, kind of like highmeat.  I find raw beefheart rather tough.  That's what I think I'll try your discovery on.

I was in the province of Palawan and was surprised to find local beef.  I bought it to try it out.  I was going to eat it in my hotel room and I realized I had no scissors with me.  So I tried biting and biting to no avail.  What worked was for me to put my saliva on the part I wanted to eat, wait about 2 minutes then bite off that part.  Seems my saliva helps me bite off tough muscle meat.  Now I know why they say the chiefs wanted the liver or the heart, they are so much easier to eat raw.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:26:23 am by goodsamaritan »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 12:53:28 am »
I think humans are meant to chew more than carnivores such as lions. Lions jaws aren't very good for grinding from what I hear. They cut there meat off with a scissors like motion and only chew a little then probably bolt. They also have stronger stomach than ours I think. Same as crocs, they barely will chew, just bolt, and can digest nails. We however have evolved with the use of tools. We can cut are meat into portions than chew to grind and coat with saliva to aid digestion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk